Failed Portland Projects, a pictoral list

P

Patrick

I am making a list of failed, killed, and just plain shit on portland area projects for reference and in case anyone would like to see the renderings. I predict this thread to grow the fastest....waterview, the westin, anything in bayside worth while, etc. look for all of these projects to end up here in the next year.

The tallest building ever thought about in Maine was an unofficial proposal by a NY developer for twin 635 foot towers in South Portland, directly across from Portland Harbor. here is a pic.

12321sk.jpg

This is the tallest building ever proposed for portland, at 15 stories and 275 feet tall (roughly 27-stories)

lincolnsquarecloseup27mg.jpg

this is the second tallest building ever proposed for Portland, at just under 200 feet. I am pretty sure that Franklin towers is 180 feet tall (approximately) and this would have had the same number of floors but would have been taller because of that triangular part at the top.

0542816234conctr9jv.jpg

here we have a nice 15-story addition to the first portland high-rise, the maine bank and trust building. thank God this was not built because if it were there would have been no room for the ATM that currently occupies this site :shock:
newfidelitycloseup21st.jpg

20 Pearl Street would have been excellent addition.

pearl29xg.jpg

the village at ocean gate proposal has been scaled down from this rendering (at ten floors, but officially only 9 floors from where they would have counted from) to three buildings (from 5) at a max height of four stories. sweet..

village097pw.jpg

This last one was planned for the same site as the first one, it is a scaled down rendering, and would have gone very nice in portland, but would have been out of place in SO.PO.

cacoulidis0xl.jpg

Patrick, now you need to put up a thread w/ all of the brick boxes that have been built over the last few years!
I used to wish for the Red Sox to win a World Series title in my lifetime, now I wish for the City of Portland to build a NEW ARENA in my lifetime!! I'm 46, what do you think the odds are that it will happen?
Patrick, you being a young guy, I would say you wish for a 20 + story building in your lifetime. Doubt I will ever see that!!

Those two towers at the top make me cry. I love those kind of glass buildings. Patrick make them come back!

BostonSkyGuy said:
Those two towers at the top make me cry. I love those kind of glass buildings. Patrick make them come back!

Haha not even the president through executive order could make those babies a reality. combined they would have had 82 floors, and would have been about 550 feet taller than anything else in south portland. Needless to say, the redneck residents of that quiet part of town went shit house over them...

portlandneedsnewarena said:
Patrick, now you need to put up a thread w/ all of the brick boxes that have been built over the last few years!
I used to wish for the Red Sox to win a World Series title in my lifetime, now I wish for the City of Portland to build a NEW ARENA in my lifetime!! I'm 46, what do you think the odds are that it will happen?
Patrick, you being a young guy, I would say you wish for a 20 + story building in your lifetime. Doubt I will ever see that!!

well, I will be 21 for about 3 more weeks, so i have a lot fo time left to hope. you, though older than me, are still relatively young. Look what has ben built in the last 30 years in portland...practically every high rise in the city, as well as the old port revitalization....give it another thirty, and you will still be alive presumably, and I guarantee we will have both a new arena and a new tallest building. I am an extreme optimist.

well call me psychic, but i just knew the westin was too good to be true. cant wait to see what the scaled down version looks like. intermed is now only 8 floors i guess, too, instead of the whopping 9 they had previously planned. whaddafuxup?

Where did you see anything new about Intermed? I don't think they've changed the plans on that. Sure they aren't just including the bottom two floors of parking?

Well, I hope you are right about the confusion based on the parking levels (which look like they could be one floor all in all from some of the renderings) but in ALL of the recent press reports about the structure, it has been called an 8-story building. It was originally called a 9story building in the press herald, so I am wondering why it would all of a sudden become an 8-story building, unless someone from the development team gave new info to the reporters. It would not surprise me if it was scaled down.

When I first started becoming interested in high rise development in portland, i thought waterview was nothing at 12 stories and lincoln center was barely acceptable at 17 stories, now i long for a 9-story building!

Back