Fairmount Line Upgrade

Re: Fairmont Line Upgrade

Infill stations on commuter rail lines is something the T and state need to seriously invest in. Cheaper than wholesale subway expansion, less disruptive and a much better bang for your buck. What's unfortunate is that the Fairmont Line should have been the model for DMU service with it's own brand, just like the Silver Line was for BRT. Instead the T treats it like just another commuter rail line. They need someone to really make DMU service a thing, a middle ground service between subway and commuter rail, and really advertise it.

They should look at London which just opened the Overground network. London created a new network for suburban commuter rail but it's branded separately from the National Rail service really well. Even more importantly it's on the subway map.

The people who run the T really don't get how powerful PR and branding are.

The people who run the T really don't get how powerful PR and branding are.

That lack of knowledge is something very frustrating about the t - it's more than lack of money but lack of smarts and vision. For instance, for this service they should start the ad campaign soon (maybe wait until the disaster aftertaste blows over) but brand it and hype it before it even starts. Instead of just sending press releases to the boston globe to excite suburbanites who live nowhere near fairmount and transit nerds like ourselves..

There's not a lot of places where you actually want infill stations on the commuter rail. They slow down everyone coming from further out, for the benefit only of new riders. Closely spaced stops work best on lines with high-acceleration electric multiple units (like the Metra electric district) and/or quality local/express service (like Metro-North).

Far and away, the best infills the T can go for are Montvale Avenue/Woburn and Pawtucket/Central Falls (which is in design!). Monvale Avenue gets you walk/bike connections from a lot of Woburn and Stoneham, including the under-construction trail on the Stoneham Branch ROW. Pawtucket/Central Falls is an obvious stop - a mid-sized city with great bus connections.

The only other stops with much current potential are South Salem, East Greenwich and Cranston, East Billerica, and perhaps Millbury/20. I've given up hope that the loud abutters will let Blue Hill Ave happen.

Most anything else doesn't make a lot of sense until you have xMUs or local/express service. West/Beacon Park, Boston Landing, even Newton Corner aren't much use till you get full local/express going, and thus everything from Worcester can skip everything east of Framingham. Union Square won't be unless it becomes an actual employment center or there's enough reverse commuting on the line.

Most anything else doesn't make a lot of sense until you have xMUs or local/express service. West/Beacon Park, Boston Landing, even Newton Corner aren't much use till you get full local/express going, and thus everything from Worcester can skip everything east of Framingham. Union Square won't be unless it becomes an actual employment center or there's enough reverse commuting on the line.

Yup. I don't think Union Square should happen ever for CR/xMU service. For the medium-term a North Station ping-back on the GLX will work just fine. Long-term a continuation of GLX to Porter would let the Porter stop serve as a distributor for anyone getting to Union.

There's not a lot of places where you actually want infill stations on the commuter rail. They slow down everyone coming from further out, for the benefit only of new riders. Closely spaced stops work best on lines with high-acceleration electric multiple units (like the Metra electric district) and/or quality local/express service (like Metro-North).

Far and away, the best infills the T can go for are Montvale Avenue/Woburn and Pawtucket/Central Falls (which is in design!). Monvale Avenue gets you walk/bike connections from a lot of Woburn and Stoneham, including the under-construction trail on the Stoneham Branch ROW. Pawtucket/Central Falls is an obvious stop - a mid-sized city with great bus connections.

The only other stops with much current potential are South Salem, East Greenwich and Cranston, East Billerica, and perhaps Millbury/20. I've given up hope that the loud abutters will let Blue Hill Ave happen.

EGE -- after this overview is completed I doubt that there will be anything more in RI for the foreseable future -- just not significant ridership for the overall system cost involved

EGE -- after this overview is completed I doubt that there will be anything more in RI for the foreseable future -- just not significant ridership for the overall system cost involved

This review has no bearing on any expansion in R.I. This is conducted by/for Massachusetts. Rhode Island funds any and all commuter rail expansion within their state.

EDIT: Unless R.I. decides that the T is incapable of operating it, which is plausible.

Last edited:

This review has no bearing on any expansion in R.I. This is conducted by/for Massachusetts. Rhode Island funds any and all commuter rail expansion within their state.

EDIT: Unless R.I. decides that the T is incapable of operating it, which is plausible.

RI should probably have a small fleet of its own RIDOT commuter rail consists. The MBTA won't be able to stretch the schedule/distances any more than they already do. Get a RICR up and running and run them between Westerly and South Attleboro or something.

Probably much easier said than done, but it would allow the T to focus on primarily serving Boston<->Providence and less with intra-RI service.

My coworker lives near Fairmont station and was raving over the increased service and how it will really transform the neighborhood. He drives to work, but his wife takes the train. Unless they provide at least 15 min headways, I don't consider it a desirable area to live for a transit commuter. And even with more frequent service, the past few weeks did a good job at scaring me away from CR. I've always chosen my apartments based on the number of commuting options. All of my apartments have been within a 10-15 min walk from the Orange Line, Green Line, and multiple bus routes and were within biking distance to my job. I couldn't imagine being stuck with only one option.

Agree. Depending which part of the Fairmount Line you live on, there are likely bus routes (multiple) nearby.

The issue of limited train frequency (outside of rush hour) would make this a less desirable option IMO. However, many people who care about T access use it exclusively M-F during rush hours and wouldn't be a deal breaker.

When are the DMUs supposedly coming into usage?

When are the DMUs supposedly coming into usage?

I think the stated date is 2020, but judging by the stated date of the GLX, it might be later. I hope not though, because I just accepted a job in Lynn.

EGE - no way blue hill ave gets defeated. It's been planned for years, the shitheads will fight it but it's gonna happen without question. It's the development around the station that will be winnowed down to nubbish heights that is where the neighbors will win.

The January 2015 SIP update still holds to a December 2017 opening date. 90% plans in March, 100% in June, construction starts in the fall. However, "While the community still has concerns the project team is now advancing the design with the understanding that continued coordination with the community is paramount" is a pretty qualified statement.

Yeah - but unlike private developments, this is a public one that has strong support from the top. And having an entire "new line" without having a station at the what is arguably the biggest commercial node as well as most heavily trafficked road it crosses is too crazy to do.

It's a shame that the line comes so close to the Mattapan line but doesnt actually connect to it...

Well, that's also an argument against needing the station. Mattapan is just 200 yards away, has better bus connections, and higher frequency than the Fairmount Line ever will.

Well, that's also an argument against needing the station. Mattapan is just 200 yards away, has better bus connections, and higher frequency than the Fairmount Line ever will.

But Mattapan is a two-seat ride to South Station, while Fairmount is one. People do tend to go for frequency over speed, but the Ashmont transfer isn't negligible.

That's true, though not everywhere will be walking distance from South Station. Transferring at Ashmont is onto an empty train, which may be more preferrable than transferring to a full train at South Station. This is not to say I don't think at Blue Hill Ave station is worthwhile, just that the T is spending a lot of extra time, money, and goodwill on it that could be used better in the area (like slowly reducing parking to make bus lanes for the 28).

RI should probably have a small fleet of its own RIDOT commuter rail consists. The MBTA won't be able to stretch the schedule/distances any more than they already do. Get a RICR up and running and run them between Westerly and South Attleboro or something.

Probably much easier said than done, but it would allow the T to focus on primarily serving Boston<->Providence and less with intra-RI service.

I thought that was pretty much RIDOT's plan all along -- maintain the current MBTA service, but enhance/supplement with RIDOT service for better in-state headways and geographic reach.

Another bump.

FY 2016 MassDOT, MBTA draft CIPs have been released (see post in GLX thread for links). DMU implementation has been, maybe temporarily as it's just a one year plan, expunged. There's 300k for planning and that's it. Neither the pilot program nor the FY 2016 59mil someone optimistically assumed for the old CIPs are anywhere to be found - it's not like MassDOT or MBTA were holding true to the CIP anyways - certainly didn't outlay the 20mil planned for FY2015 as far as I can tell, but it's another few years tacked on if they ever want to get DMUs off the ground. SSX took a little hit too, but without any land to build on, it seems more a postponement than anything. SCR's been cut, but it's still dangling over our heads.

That's true, though not everywhere will be walking distance from South Station. Transferring at Ashmont is onto an empty train, which may be more preferrable than transferring to a full train at South Station. This is not to say I don't think at Blue Hill Ave station is worthwhile, just that the T is spending a lot of extra time, money, and goodwill on it that could be used better in the area (like slowly reducing parking to make bus lanes for the 28).

Slowly reducing parking accomplishes nothing (or, more technically, it turns legal parking spaces into illegal parking spaces that could maybe one day become small fractions of a bus lane.)

While a bus lane is absolutely valuable and worth implementing here, it won't happen through a slow reduction of parking - there needs to be a clear plan in place and all the parking needs to go in one shot for a bus lane instead.

As a side note, 200 yards is basically nothing in terms of either a straight trolley extension along Cummins Highway or as a sheltered pedestrian walkway. If the Mattapan Trolley ever became a full-length Red Line train it's basically the distance from the front of DTX to the back of Park. Assuming that a non-zero number of riders are going to want to go to JFK or Ashmont instead of South Station and all points north, not building Blue Hill Ave because "Mattapan is too close" would be incredibly foolish when Blue Hill and Mattapan should instead be treated as effectively one super station, with a covered walkway between them at the very least.

Another bump.

FY 2016 MassDOT, MBTA draft CIPs have been released (see post in GLX thread for links). DMU implementation has been, maybe temporarily as it's just a one year plan, expunged. There's 300k for planning and that's it. Neither the pilot program nor the FY 2016 59mil someone optimistically assumed for the old CIPs are anywhere to be found - it's not like MassDOT or MBTA were holding true to the CIP anyways - certainly didn't outlay the 20mil planned for FY2015 as far as I can tell, but it's another few years tacked on if they ever want to get DMUs off the ground. SSX took a little hit too, but without any land to build on, it seems more a postponement than anything. SCR's been cut, but it's still dangling over our heads.

Slowdown on DMU's wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. They have to show a commitment to the service levels required to make the vehicles pay off, or else they end up being a far worse cost bleed on ops than if they never bought them at all. You simply can't make those things pay off without real Indigo frequencies, and the amount of backpedaling on the Indigo implementation and outright emperor-has-no-clothes refusal to answer a simple-ass question when pressed on whether those frequencies will ever happen is enough of a red flag to take a step back. The last statement they gave on it was using those vehicles for frickin' Foxboro service, which is just about the worst use for them you could ever dream up.

There is nothing preventing them from implementing the Fairmount-Indigo service levels with an F40 locomotive hauling 4 single-levels. Nothing whatsoever. It's inefficient in the long run, but FAR better to have the service levels scale up with existing equipment before plunking down for DMU's so there's actual evidence the new vehicles will run at frequencies that let them hit their efficiency point of payoff. Until we can prove they actually will go through with those service levels, I'm not sure we want to put cart before horse.

Also, I wonder if the ops assessment on the BCEC dinky truly has come back too unfavorable on traffic impacts around Southampton Yard and Widett Circle for that to be on the front-burner any longer. Because that's the one use for DMU's where there's no real preliminary 'scale-up' worth doing with push-pulls to establish the service levels like is prudent with Fairmount or Riverside. It's just too awkward and overkill to run a push-pull on Track 61. So chances are if the vehicle purchase has been punted off, so has BCEC passenger service. And there's probably a technical reason behind that.

Not the end of the world. They can always reissue the RFP to see what the DMU market looks like in a few years. The FRA will be releasing their new crashworthiness specs (scheduled this year, but we're on "federal bureaucracy" clock time so next year is a likelier bet), which are supposed to allow for wider shopping selection of less-customized foreign stock. So this ongoing RFP due to have its bids collected in August is still on the current regs, will be out-of-date, and should be held for reissue anyway after the new regs are released since it'll open up the options a bit better and probably lower the unit cost. Waiting might be better.

Besides, they have a truly frightening number of commuter rail procurements coming up for FY2020-22 that need to be funded, or else we go right back into the old-equipment uptime nightmares they're just clawing their way out of. All 201 Pullman and Bombardier single-level coaches hit end-of-life in 2020, and they already had to pass on putting a 75-car dent in that tally because the "Brokem" purchase was such an unmitigated (and still ongoing) debacle that they had to pass on the option order. Those single-levels have to be replaced, not rehabbed, because with Metro North and NJ Transit announcing phase-out of their respective 200-car and 500+-car single-level fleets by 2025 the rebuild economics for "Comet"-class flats (which the T's are) are no longer favorable vs. buying new.

And then throw on top of that 4 dozen more locomotives--all of the 1988- and 1993-vintage F40PH's and all GP40MC's that don't get retired by the tail end of the HSP-46 order--are also up for retirement in the exact same FY2020-22 period and...good God, that's a terrifyingly large series of procurements. Almost as expensive as the much-delayed Red and Orange cars. Non-optional. No funding sources identified...and they have to be within 2 years if the procurements are to happen on-time. And needed whether they buy DMU's or not, because not one single piece of push-pull equipment will be displaced by a DMU. They are purely additional.

It would be a much worse outcome to buy the DMU's but leave the cycled replacements of the main fleet unfunded because the DMU's cannibalized too much of that funding. A literal repeat of this winter's CR service reliability meltdown in another 7-8 years if they don't act. So...tabling the DMU's until a funding source is allocated for the bread-and-butter cycled replacements is prudent. And then when they pick that back up under the new crashworthiness regs they'll likely be able to buy cheaper DMU's anyway. The timing works, even if today it looks like a retreat (and may well be given their track record on retreating).

Back