Fall River, MA-- The rebirth of a mill town

Battleship Cove with the Bounty on the Fall river waterfront.
bounty-may-2010FR-4.jpg

Battleship Cove now!
BattleshipCove50thanv.jpg

I'm lost. Are they:
1) preserving the historic building, and adding to it?,
2) demolishing the historic building, and building something fully new that vaguely looks like the old?, or
3) building another Durfee HS elsewhere in the city, leaving the historic building as-is for some other purpose?

I'm lost. Are they:
1) preserving the historic building, and adding to it?,
2) demolishing the historic building, and building something fully new that vaguely looks like the old?, or
3) building another Durfee HS elsewhere in the city, leaving the historic building as-is for some other purpose?
I'm equally confused. I hope it's number three.

Based on the text in the first slide, the old building is on Rock Street, and the new building is on Elsbree St.

I'm confused also ... but in a different way. Why are we looking at the renders when this is Complete and Open, as of Sept 2021?

1645249723402.png
1645249839175.png

https://www.heraldnews.com/story/ne...ee-high-prepares-welcome-students/5620253001/

(Scroll through the gallery; I really like how they did the interior spaces. I wish my High school was this nice - Hell, this looks nicer than literally every new build building on the UMass Amherst campus as of my time there 4 years ago)

For reference: The above imaged 1891 Durfee School on Rock St. has been preserved since the 1990s as the Fall River Probate and Family Courthouse; this new school didn't touch it in the slightest; it just drew inspiration from. This new building was a replacement for the crumbling brutalist circa 1978 Durfee School which also stood on the Elsbree St site (I believe its demolition has wrapped up but I could be wrong).

1645249320938.png

Last edited:
Rte 79 Project.jpg

Creation of an 'urban boulevard'
That $112 million “urban boulevard” project, which is expected to be completed before the end of 2025, will physically lower both sides of Route 79 and will incorporate new sidewalks, traffic signals and bike paths.

The idea, according to the state’s Department of Transportation, is to spur business and residential growth near the Taunton River waterfront. The creation of the urban boulevard will open up 19 acres of land for future business development.

“You’ll be able to stand here and see the river,” Fedosik said, as he stood on the edge of the parking lot of the circa 1900 building with its six loading docks.

He also notes that the new commuter rail line linking Fall River to Boston — with a train depot located a couple blocks away just behind Davol Street — was another driving factor in deciding to invest in his mixed-use project.

The South Coast Rail project is scheduled to be operational by the end of next year.

I was reading about Taunton last night and came across a picture of the old city hall.
Fall_River_Old_City_Hall_color_image.jpg

Which was replaced with this
1280px-Fall_River_City_Hall.jpg

I had never seen what was there before, what a loss! Another piece of history lost to urban renewal. The amount of great historical buildings lost to time in the US is mindblowing. The old north station also comes to mind. Imagine if we had not bulldozed half of our great buildings in the 50-70s what the country would be like today. I think like Germany we should really consider rebuilding some of these lost treasures. Rebuilding is ok in my eyes vs trying to create something from scratch with an artificial historical facade. Its truely sad how many great buildings were lost to time and many forgotten.

I was reading about Taunton last night and came across a picture of the old city hall.
Fall_River_Old_City_Hall_color_image.jpg

Which was replaced with this
1280px-Fall_River_City_Hall.jpg

I had never seen what was there before, what a loss! Another piece of history lost to urban renewal. The amount of great historical buildings lost to time in the US is mindblowing. The old north station also comes to mind. Imagine if we had not bulldozed half of our great buildings in the 50-70s what the country would be like today. I think like Germany we should really consider rebuilding some of these lost treasures. Rebuilding is ok in my eyes vs trying to create something from scratch with an artificial historical facade. Its truely sad how many great buildings were lost to time and many forgotten.

Yeah this is pretty grotesque. Almost as bad as the architectural loss itself is that they split downtown Fall River in half with when they build 195 and the two halves still feel disconnected from one another. To make matters worse, the streets around city hall have essentially been converted to a series of multi-lane (most one-way) speedways which add to the feeling of the entire area being a pedestrian nightmare. On top of that, you have the mess of ramps connecting 195 to downtown, 138, and 79 which further isolated the two halves of downtown from the waterfront. They've done some reconfiguring to improve the connectivity, but it's still a pedestrian nightmare. I have a lot of nostalgia for the area, but I don't have a lot of hope that there will ever be a good way to undo what was done here.

Suffolk Breaks Ground on Technical High School in Fall River​

1704432847639.jpeg

“Fall River, MA – Suffolk, together with the Greater Fall River Vocational School District (GFRVSD) and School Building Committee, recently hosted a ceremonial groundbreaking of the new Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School (DRVTHS).

Attendees gathered at the site of the future school in Fall River for a ceremony reaffirming the ideals for which the new facility will stand, including enhancing the student experience and benefitting the school’s four sending communities of Westport, Swansea, Somerset and Fall River.

“Suffolk is honored to partner with the School Building Committee, the Greater Fall River Vocational School District, and the Massachusetts School Building Authority to cement the innovative vision of the new Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School into reality,” said Couch. “This cutting-edge facility will allow Diman to continue to provide an unparalleled technical vocational education experience, connecting students with their passions and subsequently unlocking career paths that build the foundation for the success of the future workforce.”

1704432927772.jpeg

1704432957039.jpeg

1704432865926.jpeg

1704432878199.jpeg

1704432978611.jpeg

https://www.high-profile.com/suffolk-breaks-ground-on-technical-high-school-in-fall-river/

Back