Fall River, MA-- The rebirth of a mill town

All the street car lines all got magically deleted somehow. but the station markers are still there

By this time (2050) The state will probably be looking to replace the Braga Bridge as well. The Bridge would be pushing 100 years old by this time.

An idea for a possible waterfront urban boulevard in Fall River

4083944479_855361eace.jpg

It's just a strip mall, but it fits the surroundings. It's on a 4 lane avenue near other strip malls at a major highway interchange near relatively suburban residential neighborhoods.

I certainly won't miss the Harbour Mall. That place was awful.

Any planets to de-tangle that interchange between 24/195? Something about it just bothers me.

It's a pain. Coming from the South on 24, you have to merge onto Route 195, get up to speed, cross three lanes, slow down,and exit left all in about 1/4 mile.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any plans to fix it.

The "cheap" solution would be to move the ramp from 195 East to 24 North to the right side of 195 so it's not a left exit. This could be done easily with an overpass connecting to the existing ramp across the highway. The land necessary for that type of project is already clear (or surface parking).

In order to configure it so that drivers on 24 don't have to briefly get on 195, you'd need major re-routing and I don't think it's possible given the nature of the topography. If it is, it'd certainly be expensive.

Interesting discussion...One thing mentioned that stuck out to me is the idea of towns/cities competing with neighbors...Sad that Fall River had this competition with their neighbor about bringing in Sam Adams to the Southcoast...That would have been huge...

I live in Fairhaven (just moved here a year ago) but had the intention of moving to New Bedford...One thing that people in Fairhaven do often is bad mouth NB...

I do the opposite as I volunteer and try to make NB better and help in trying to fix policies set for better biking and better pedestrian access...

I think a lot of people fail to realize that the success of their neighbor is good for everyone. I feel the success for New Bedford is critical to all of us that live surrounding the city...I want to see it grow and become what it could be become if things are done right...Why would people ever want the neighboring city to continue to rot away and get worse!

I lived in Durham, NC for 5 years and the same thing happened there...surrounding towns bad mouthed it, constantly talked negative and talked people out of moving there, never went there to support the restaurants, etc...To them, they just wanted to see the city rot...It's ludicrous to me that you would want your neighboring town to be like this...don't people realize that this affects your town just as much as your policies do?

Anyways, enough of my ranting about this...

I was just in FR to eat with the wife and Pattis Perougis...awesome food and great prices! I hope the best for the city as it will allow all of us in the Southcoast to become that much better!

It's a pain. Coming from the South on 24, you have to merge onto Route 195, get up to speed, cross three lanes, slow down,and exit left all in about 1/4 mile.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any plans to fix it.

The "cheap" solution would be to move the ramp from 195 East to 24 North to the right side of 195 so it's not a left exit. This could be done easily with an overpass connecting to the existing ramp across the highway. The land necessary for that type of project is already clear (or surface parking).

In order to configure it so that drivers on 24 don't have to briefly get on 195, you'd need major re-routing and I don't think it's possible given the nature of the topography. If it is, it'd certainly be expensive.

I actually heard a representative from SRPEDD recently discuss this very same thing as a problem that will get addressed in the near future...matter of fact, part of the new transportation bill that Gov Patrick recently proposed had this as a problem area to get fixed...

Back