Family-Oriented Urbanism/Suburbanism

Depends on what you mean by layout. But Lincoln is what came to mind.

I think people like that though (in the burbs). Y'know, the whole "Don't buy on a double lined street" thing.
Lincoln looks so sparse, I’m not sure what to do with it.

And you’re absolutely right about what people like about the burbs. I happen to have a house on a cul de sac, and its very nice that the road in front of us is extra safe. It just so happens that our back yard abuts a dead end street behind us. You can kinda walk through a drainage ditch behind our property to get to that dead-end, but its not convenient. It would be a relatively easy matter to have a sidewalk connecting our two streets.

If either my cul de sac or their dead end had a sidewalk, at least.

Last edited:
The thing is, taken to its logical extreme, that is how you end up with places laid out like Boca Raton, which is the anthesis of pedestrian friendly despite its many sidewalks.

Disconnected streets are a feature, not a bug. People don’t want outsiders, even if they’re a subdivision over, to have an excuse to be there. The rise of digital maps and gig jobs has only exacerbated that desire (e.g. the petitions to install gates to prevent Waze from routing folks down their streets.)

Depends on what you mean by layout. But Lincoln is what came to mind.

I think people like that though (in the burbs). Y'know, the whole "Don't buy on a double lined street" thing.
I agree. I live in a cul-de-sac and it definitely cuts way down on the drive-through potential thieves from scoping out properties and also cuts way down the actual.burglaries and property crimes.

I agree. I live in a cul-de-sac and it definitely cuts way down on the drive-through potential thieves from scoping out properties and also cuts way down the actual.burglaries and property crimes.
Plus, it’s a lot safer for kids to play on a dead end street of any kind.

So dead-end streets with ped/bike-only connectors is a win-win then, right?

Back