Fantasy Lawrence and MEVA Bus restructuring

Koopzilla24

Reaction score
With MVRTA's rebranding to MEVA, increased funding, new management, and lack of an operator shortage, things are looking very good for transportation in the city of Lawrence and Merrimack Valley.

Over the past few weeks, I've been looking at a theoretical restructuring of MEVA's bus routes away from the hub and spoke to a downtown hub transfer location and to a more comprehensive city coverage using largely the same routings. I had two goals for the redesign:
- Make crosstown trips easier
- Add more service to the Lawrence commuter rail station
The interactive Google map is here.

The biggest change that I made was to combine routes across the center of Lawrence. This change made for a lot more single-seat ride potential and shouldn't require additional operators or buses to maintain headways on most routes as the resources would be combined. Overall though a few routes had significant extensions or reroutings to service a wider area which requires hiring a few more operators and purchasing additional buses to keep at least 30min headways.
Another key change made was changing the 12-Crosstown from a small loop to being a zigzagging city crossing route with the intention of serving as either a way to cross North Lawrence or transfer between lines without having to go into the center. There are also now routes that do not serve the transit center directly. The new Route 9 passes a few blocks east while the 21/75 combo terminates at Lawrence Station. Lawrence Station itself sees an increase in routes servicing it from 2 to 4.
On the Haverhill side, I extended the short 22 all the way across the city to try to connect the schools with parks and shopping centers but kept everything else largely the same. There are many other smaller changes made that can be seen comparing my map to the official one on MEVA's surprisingly good website.
downtown Lawrence.png
haverhill.png

Attachments

• MEVA Full.png
    MEVA Full.png
    583.7 KB · Views: 34
With MVRTA's rebranding to MEVA, increased funding, new management, and lack of an operator shortage, things are looking very good for transportation in the city of Lawrence and Merrimack Valley.

Over the past few weeks, I've been looking at a theoretical restructuring of MEVA's bus routes away from the hub and spoke to a downtown hub transfer location and to a more comprehensive city coverage using largely the same routings. I had two goals for the redesign:
- Make crosstown trips easier
- Add more service to the Lawrence commuter rail station
The interactive Google map is here.

The biggest change that I made was to combine routes across the center of Lawrence. This change made for a lot more single-seat ride potential and shouldn't require additional operators or buses to maintain headways on most routes as the resources would be combined. Overall though a few routes had significant extensions or reroutings to service a wider area which requires hiring a few more operators and purchasing additional buses to keep at least 30min headways.
Another key change made was changing the 12-Crosstown from a small loop to being a zigzagging city crossing route with the intention of serving as either a way to cross North Lawrence or transfer between lines without having to go into the center. There are also now routes that do not serve the transit center directly. The new Route 9 passes a few blocks east while the 21/75 combo terminates at Lawrence Station. Lawrence Station itself sees an increase in routes servicing it from 2 to 4.
On the Haverhill side, I extended the short 22 all the way across the city to try to connect the schools with parks and shopping centers but kept everything else largely the same. There are many other smaller changes made that can be seen comparing my map to the official one on MEVA's surprisingly good website.
View attachment 39383View attachment 39384
If you feel strongly about bus routes in the region, you should participate during the public comment portion of the Merrimack Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization. MVMPO Board Members (like other MPO's across Commonwealth) make transportation planning and investment decisions for federal aid highway and transit programs, including for MEVA. If your proposed goals merit further planning study by MEVA or MPO staff, then your contribution(s) could translate into new priorities for the region and actual transportation projects in the future.

Let this be a lesson to every ArchBoston forum member et al: if you want decision makers to prioritize particular surface transportation projects in your community, the most effective place to start is either through written or vocal comment to the decision makers themselves (i.e. your respective MPO). Attend an MPO Meeting; they are open to the public, and always have an agenda item for public comment. For more information on MPO's, start here.

Back