Fenway Infill and Small Developments

Yeah, if you look at almost any successful sidewalk seating at restaurants, be it on South Beach or in Venice, they always have some kind of separation, and it makes them seem more lively. Adds more color to the streetscape. I've got no problem with 6 umbrellas with Upper Crust logos.

Personally, I am not a fan of the outdoor seating that restaurants have on South Beach. On a lot of places, the sidewalk goes right through, so you have the main area and then a smaller area on the other side of the sidewalk. That and the hostesses harass you as you walk by which can get to be annoying.

Too bad you cannot smoke outside a bar or restaurant in Boston.

^^^^
ecf9_1.jpg

Too bad you cannot smoke outside a bar or restaurant in Boston.

agreed.

Some might find it disgusting, but there is nothing better than an ice cold brew and a cigarette on a nice warm summer night outside.

agreed.

Some might find it disgusting, but there is nothing better than an ice cold brew and a cigarette on a nice warm summer night outside.

The only place I know to do this anymore is, of all places, Friendly Fenway Park.

agreed.

I <3 Tar!

Nothing better than an ice cold brew and an ashtray to lick on a nice, warm summer night outside. At least cigars smell good. Cigarettes are repulsive.

In fire?s aftermath, Restaurant Row eager to get back to business

539w.jpg

Karen Caiazzo and Kenya Welsh of Cambridge paused to take a photo of the mural
on Peterborough Street yesterday. (John Tlumacki/ Globe Staff)

By Eric Moskowitz
Globe Staff / September 27, 2009

The fire in January that ripped through the section of Peterborough Street known as Restaurant Row did more than gut a commercial building housing six restaurants and a dry cleaner. It tore out a vibrant stretch of businesses that had given residents a gathering place and a sense of community, apart from the lights and noise of Fenway Park.

So when 20-year Fenway resident Lori Frankian grabbed a microphone yesterday and announced ?Restaurant Row is going to return!?? the crowd of more than 100 at the ?Revitalizing Peterborough?? block party broke out into applause.

But a question loomed: When?

?There?s no timeline at all,?? said Bud Thornton, co-owner of Thornton?s Fenway Grille, one of the neighborhood anchors. Thornton and his brother, Marty, are awaiting word from property owner Monty Gold about when they can return.

Jim Hoben, whose fish tacos at El Pelon Taqueria drew diners from far beyond Fenway, said to cheers that he was optimistic about returning soon ?to serve some great Mexican food.?? But afterward, he could do little more than shrug.

?We?re just kind of waiting for Monty,?? he said. ?We?re ready to go. It?s just, you know, kind of where we are - I don?t know.??

Frankian, one of about 130 residents temporarily evacuated after the four-alarm fire Jan. 6, helped organize the party as a board member of the Fenway Community Development Corporation to restore festivity to the block. The CDC collaborated with staff and students at McKinley Preparatory High School across the street on a colorful mural to cover the boarded-up, charred remains of Restaurant Row.

The mural - painted by five students working with their art teacher and three artists, and funded by a City Hall grant for youth summer employment - was officially unveiled at yesterday?s party, which included a band, drum circle, dance troupe, and face-painting.

How long the mural would stand - before being replaced by new construction - remained unanswered. ?There?s just so much runaround,?? Frankian said, alluding to insurance company delays. ?I had thought the roof was going to be up by now, but it?s not. It?s a hurry up and wait situation.??

City records list the owner as 84-100 Peterborough Realty Trust, with Warren I. Gomberg and David H. Weisman as trustees.

Gold, identified as the owner in the party program, told the Globe in March that he wanted to restore the building exactly as it was, but that he had to wait for his insurer to respond to his claim. That helped reassure residents who packed a community forum, concerned that the cavity might be filled with high-rise condominiums lacking the character of the old red-brick row. Gold attended yesterday?s party, but said he did not want to discuss the status of the rebuilding.

Basking before the mural, neighbors said they were glad to have the eyesore replaced with something as colorful and multinational as the neighborhood and its former restaurants. The panels include a Venetian gondolier, a couple of Delta blues musicians, and a Phoenix rising from the ashes.

?It takes a blight and it makes it public art,?? said Margaret Witham, who has lived in the Fenway for 25 years.

The five muralists from the alternative public high school - Mario Darget, Danavian Daniels, Wolf Louis, Jerry Cooper, and Billy Margetis - received citations yesterday from state Senator Steven A. Tolman for their ?initiative, creativity, and genuine concern for the community.??

Standing near the mural afterward, Darget reflected on the January day he arrived to find school canceled, with the smell of smoke filling the air and firetrucks crowding the street.

?That was a really dark day,?? said Darget, a 17-year-old from Roxbury. He and his classmates used to seek permission from the school to get lunch at the restaurants when they tired of cafeteria food. Now starting his junior year, Darget said he hopes they rebuild by graduation.

Link

Jerry Remy gets ball rolling on Fenway sports bar
By Thomas Grillo
Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Construction is finally under way at Jerry Remy?s Sports Bar & Grill in the shadow of Fenway Park.

Remy, the color analyst for New England Sports Network who has been recovering from lung cancer surgery, had planned a grand opening for the start of the 2009 season. But the steakhouse?s launch stalled because financing has been scarce.

John O?Rourke, president of LTS Sports and Remy?s business partner, said he was able to convince Jon Cronin, owner of Atlantic Beer Garden at the Seaport and the Boston Beer Garden in South Boston, to invest in the $3.7 million venture.

?Once we secured Jon as the biggest investor, other investors followed,? he said. ?We?re very excited. We expect to open on March 1 in time for Opening Day.?

Upon completion, the former WBCN headquarters at 1265 Boylston St. will feature a full-service restaurant and bar with 330 seats, 50 of them outdoors. The brick exterior will be retained with glass windows and doors that look out onto outdoor seating.

The eatery will mix burgers and pizza with upscale fare such as steak and lobster. If all goes well, Jerry Remy Sports Bars could become a New England chain.

The Boston Red Sox purchased the property in 2005 for $3.3 million and rent the 8,400-square-foot space to Remy for an undisclosed amount.

Jean M. Lorizio, executive secretary of the Boston Licensing Board, said Remy purchased an alcohol license from the defunct Italian American Restaurant in South Boston for $165,000.

Charles Perkins of the Boston Restaurant Group, a restaurant broker, said Remy?s restaurant should attract fans during baseball season. But he wondered if people would be willing to fight the traffic in the off-season for a burger.

?It?s a good location in an area that is coming into its own,? he said. ?I?d bet on Boylston Street rather than the Seaport, but do I think it will be a home run? I don?t know.?

Link

Jean M. Lorizio, executive secretary of the Boston Licensing Board, said Remy purchased an alcohol license from the defunct Italian American Restaurant in South Boston for $165,000.

Such BS how alcohol is handled in this city.

This will just be another generic bar but any new retail is good for the city.

Jerry Remy gets ball rolling on Fenway sports bar
By Thomas Grillo
Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Construction is finally under way at Jerry Remy?s Sports Bar & Grill in the shadow of Fenway Park.

Remy, the color analyst for New England Sports Network who has been recovering from lung cancer surgery, had planned a grand opening for the start of the 2009 season. But the steakhouse?s launch stalled because financing has been scarce.

John O?Rourke, president of LTS Sports and Remy?s business partner, said he was able to convince Jon Cronin, owner of Atlantic Beer Garden at the Seaport and the Boston Beer Garden in South Boston, to invest in the $3.7 million venture.

?Once we secured Jon as the biggest investor, other investors followed,? he said. ?We?re very excited. We expect to open on March 1 in time for Opening Day.?

Upon completion, the former WBCN headquarters at 1265 Boylston St. will feature a full-service restaurant and bar with 330 seats, 50 of them outdoors. The brick exterior will be retained with glass windows and doors that look out onto outdoor seating.

The eatery will mix burgers and pizza with upscale fare such as steak and lobster. If all goes well, Jerry Remy Sports Bars could become a New England chain.

The Boston Red Sox purchased the property in 2005 for $3.3 million and rent the 8,400-square-foot space to Remy for an undisclosed amount.

Charles Perkins of the Boston Restaurant Group, a restaurant broker, said Remy?s restaurant should attract fans during baseball season. But he wondered if people would be willing to fight the traffic in the off-season for a burger.

?It?s a good location in an area that is coming into its own,? he said. ?I?d bet on Boylston Street rather than the Seaport, but do I think it will be a home run? I don?t know.?

Link

Boston needs more outdoor seating. Hopefully this will do well.

The eatery will mix burgers and pizza with upscale fare such as steak and lobster.

Thanks, Jerry Remy, for filling a gaping hole in Boston's culinary repertoire.

If all goes well, Jerry Remy Sports Bars could become a New England chain.

Because the rest of the region is lacking in burger venues / generic fast food outlets as well!

And/or people will fuel rapid growth because they prefer to eat their burgers and pizza in a generic sports bar that just happens to have some broadcasting personality's name plastered on it?

I really don't get these places and never have. Someone please, please help me out.

I go to these places all the time, but the market is completely saturated with em. I was thinking the other day that I think I liked the old Cask better than the new version. Everything looks the same, same feel, same $4.50 a draft blah blah blah.

the market is completely saturated with em

Exactly. Why go to one over the other? Why Jerry Remy's over the inevitable Curt Schilling's or Theo Epstein's? They all spring for the same tame decor, atmosphere, and cuisine. Many fold early for exactly this reason, but it doesn't stop people from investing in them.

I'm sure there's an endless pool of eager young designers and intrepid chefs that could partner with the capital these people can provide to actually create something unique and interesting for the city. Oh well.

^^ Maybe something with a nice Irish pub theme?

Boston needs more outdoor seating. Hopefully this will do well.

The upper crust across the street, and the chipotle at triology also do outdoor seating, so maybe the whole corridor will follow suit.

"Charles Perkins of the Boston Restaurant Group, a restaurant broker, said Remy?s restaurant should attract fans during baseball season. But he wondered if people would be willing to fight the traffic in the off-season for a burger."

Wait, what?

Right. As long as this city is run by people for whom the concept of walking and/or taking transit to something is foreign (in Boston. How!?), we are fucked.

I mean, as we've established, the clientele for this will not be suburban families driving in from towns with ample Friendly's or whatever (is there still Friendly's!?) It will be game day people and, more importantly, the hundreds/thousands who live in West Fenway.

To be fair, maybe the fact that the owners are deluded by the idea it'll be a destination restaurant has rubbed off on some...

I live in the South End and, much to my wife's chagrin, I love these kitschy chain restaurants. I'd take a Chilis, 99, Jerry Remy's, etc. over one of my neighborhoods new chichi, 6-weeks-and-it's-gone trendsetters.
The beers mugs are frosty. There's free popcorn at the bar. Sports on TV. And the quality of the food is (at least) consistent. So I think it's assholes like me that keep these places coming.

Back