Fenway Infill and Small Developments

1260 Boylston isn't going anywhere, it was completely redone last year to be a space for the Boston Conservatory. The guys in suits were probably lawyers. There's a recording studio in the building that wants to sue the Conservatory because the rehearsals are loud enough that they're appearing on the recordings. This isn't actually the conservatory's fault, it's the fault of the people that said they could sound proof the building and then didn't do it right. There's also remodeling going on in the basement, which is supposedly a billiards club, but no one's actually quite sure what goes on down there.

I'm surprised to see there isn't a dedicated thread to Trilogy. Anyway, for all of us floor plan whores, here's the first floor. You can see the puny space Emack and Bolio's occupies in comparison to the yuppity West Elm.

for the original .pdf, go here and click on "site plan" http://www.samuelsre.com/pages/63_boston_trilogy.cfm

I love trilogy for its ground floor amenities. There was a thread, but it was lost in the great crash of '06.

Citibank isnt open yet right?

It was supposed to open in October...

The Herald said:
Fenway?s new frontier: Pike to sell rights to build over road
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter
Monday, November 27, 2006 - Updated: 05:02 AM EST

A development venture that could reshape the neighborhood around Fenway Park just got a key green light.
The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority has put on the sales block a stretch of highway air rights near the ballpark that is important to a major project featuring the Red Sox and a local developer.
The highway authority is selling the so-called Parcel 7, the right to build over the highway between Brookline Avenue and Beacon Street, near the Yawkey commuter rail station.
And that decision, in turn, is expected to allow a stalled development plan, featuring the Sox and local developer and anti-gun activist John Rosenthal, to move forward.
Rosenthal and the Sox are pushing plans that call for a mix of housing, parking and an expanded Yawkey Station transportation hub near the ballpark.
But since that plan was unveiled more than a year ago, it has sat in limbo, with the Turnpike making no move to unload Parcel 7, a crucial part of the proposal.
?I think the neighborhood would like to see that project (move forward),? said Lisa Soli of the Fenway Community Development Corp.. ?It would be nice to see something other than a sea of parking lots.?
Some have concerns, though.
The intitial plans called for a parking garage, on a deck over the Turnpike, surrounded by housing and other buildings, noted Bill Richardson of the Fenway Civic Assocation.
He fears the result may be a glorified parking complex, rather than a larger, urban project that would be more beneficial to the neighborhood.
?I can tell you, from the neighborhood?s perspective, we are looking for a development that adds to the urban environment as opposed to a parking garage surrounded by a few businesses and homes,? Richardson said.
Link

Also known as "we enjoy charging Red Sox fans thousands of dollars to park for a baseball game, don't take that away from us"

Ohhhh thank you. In my head, I was thinking this was Parcel 8. I hope they put that on the block also

Those numbers are the distances from the streetwall on one side of the bridge to the other -- making the point that it's a dreary stretch for a pedestrian to walk.

Move could boost One Kenmore

November 28, 2006

The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority this month issued a request for proposals to develop a block of air space over the turnpike near Kenmore Square, just west of Brookline Avenue.

The request, with proposals due in January, could clear one obstacle for developer John Rosenthal's One Kenmore project, which has been in planning for several years on turnpike air rights near Kenmore Square and Fenway Park. In 2002, Rosenthal was awarded rights to develop three blocks of space over the highway along the square and to the east. Yesterday, he said he will seek the right to develop the fourth block, previously under consideration for a Red Sox parking garage.

Neighbors have generally supported moving the bulk of Rosenthal's proposed project of 525 residences and 100,000 square feet of commercial space to the west, across Brookline Avenue, to the property for which bids are now being sought.

THOMAS C. PALMER JR.
? Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

Just doing the same thing I did with the InterContinental.. posting older photos of the building while u/c. Unfortunately I lost all photos I took of this and everything else from October '05 to April '06.

April '05

September '05

Early October '05

And earlier this month.

Fenway?s home run derby: Property owners swing for fences
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter
Monday, April 23, 2007 - Updated: 08:19 AM EST

How much is a tiny gas station next door to Fenway Park worth?

According to one of its owners, Charlie Giannakopoulos, its true value is more than $10 million.

The Shell station at the corner of Boylston and Ipswich streets is the latest piece of real estate to hit the sales block amid a wave of development remaking the neighborhood around the 1912 ballpark.

The Giannakopoulos family, which owns the station, has been testing the market - hoping to cash in on a heated competition for property around Fenway between the Red Sox and high-powered condo developers, real estate executives said.

?If you see what is going on around here, it has some value,? Giannakopoulos told the Herald. ?Everything is being developed.?

Some hard-nosed real estate executives are scoffing at the price. Still, it is also seen by some as another sign of the changes sweeping through the neighborhood, transforming it from an area of bars, clubs and souvenir shops to high-end condos and restaurants.

When gas station owners are dreaming of $10 million jackpots, it almost ensures that any housing built there will have to be expensive luxury condos, said Carl Nagy Koechlin, executive director of the Fenway Community Development Corp.

The nonprofit, which has a track record of building affordable housing in the neighborhood, has had difficulty landing sites to build on as property values have skyrocketed.

?That kind of crazy price, it doesn?t bode well for the future of affordable housing and housing of a reasonable scale,? Nagy Koechlin said.

Not far down Boylston Street from Fenway Shell, Trilogy, a high-end rental high-rise, opened last year. Now another big condo complex is in the works, with a third project in the planning.

The infusion of upscale residences - along a key street near Fenway long dominated by gas stations and fast food joints - is the work of developers Steve Samuels and Bill McQuillan.

Other developers are also nursing residential proposals of their own as they scout out possible property deals.

Fearful that antique Fenway would be swamped by a wave of new high-rise construction, the Sox, with the help of financier John Henry?s deep-pocketed ownership group, are fighting back.

The team has been buying up property around the park, sometimes even teaming up with neighboring property owners to fend off development moves. The team, for example, landed a deal for a Boylston Street McDonald?s that had been on the market for more than $10 million.

This frenzy of property trading has not gone unnoticed at Fenway Shell, whose longtime operators bought the station a year ago for $4 million from the parent company.

Now they are looking to sell for even more, and claim they are in talks with a prospective buyer.

?It all depends on the price,? Giannakopoulos said.

Link

wow i thought i was on the surftalk forum talkin about stripers and i see floor plans and construction photos... that threw me for a loop.

i think this question belongs in the 1330 boylston thread or whatever but i keep seeing the crane in back of fenway shots during sox games and was wondering how progress for that is goin.

Red Sox owner buys lot behind Boylston Street

The company that owns the Boston Red Sox has purchased a parking lot located near Fenway Park's Gate B, behind 249 and 255 Boylston St., said Janet Marie Smith, senior vice president of planning and development for the team. Developer Steven B. Samuels bought the buildings associated with the lot. No prices were disclosed. Also, Smith said there are no current talks ongoing with the owners of the nearby Howard Johnson Inn Fenway Park Boston to redevelop that site. She called Patrick Lyons's plans to rebuild and add restaurants to his Lansdowne Street clubs Avalon and Axis "very encouraging." (Thomas C. Palmer Jr.)

Link

^Do the Red Sox print their own money? Oh wait, I just remembered I paid almost $25 for three beers at the game the other night. Never mind. In any case, they sure have been spendy lately.

i think you could call this investment rather than just spending money. you could borrow against this unlike dice-k (i would assume) and fenway is obviously blowing up. i think its a really smart thing. they probably should have done it earlier, but im assuming they didnt have the money and didnt want their debt ratio gettin too high right after they bought the sox. im sure they saw this coming.

i wonder if this had something to do with them deciding to stay at fenway rather than SB waterfront ... so they could buy up cheaper land around it, buy low, say their staying in fenway, and watch the prices shoot up as redevelopment takes hold. im assuming land is cheaper in fenway, im not sure. actually, what is cheaper land SB waterfront or fenway?

Honestly, I never understood why they didn't move. They obviously need the space. It would have been the crown jewel of South Boston Waterfront.
But having them stay does help the neighborhood.

If they still want to stay in the Fenway there seems to me only one place to put a new park, which is across the street over the parking lots and Mass Pike. It would be an odd shape but it would still be more space.
Fenway Parks

vanshnookenraggen said:
Honestly, I never understood why they didn't move. They obviously need the space. It would have been the crown jewel of South Boston Waterfront.

That isn't saying too much, is it?

If they still want to stay in the Fenway there seems to me only one place to put a new park, which is across the street over the parking lots and Mass Pike. It would be an odd shape but it would still be more space.
Fenway Parks

I've waxed philosophic on why it is important to preserve Fenway Park in its current location before. I think it can be simply summed up as: Other teams, led by Baltimore and most recently in Philadelphia, have built very successful stadiums that are specifically designed to evoke the feeling of old-style parks like Fenway. But only Fenway is Fenway.

(a quick addition: the current ownership has made a great deal of investment in the infrastructure of the park to bring it closer to the level of amenities found in more modern facilties, within the existing fabric of Fenway.)

As to why the Red Sox ownership is buying up property in the area, I agree that this is investment -- and I would expect to see the ownership eventually work to continue to develop this area as an entertainment zone, both on game days and other days.

I'm not saying they should have moved it but economically it would have made sense.

I agree, you can't fake the real thing. I love the area around Fenway. It has a charm that is real. Yankee Stadium is surrounded by highways and parks and Shea is in a sea of parking lots. I can't say I've been to many other parks but Fenway is defiantly an experience rather than just another day at the ball park.

And on a side note, it is always nice to see a full stadium rather than rows of empty seats. When it is so small it fills up much faster than a new one that can hold 80,000 people.

Back