Filene's (Boylston)

BostonUrbEx

Reaction score
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/mass_roundup/2012/05/nordstrom-eyes-filenes-site-on.html

Nordstrom eyes Filene's site on Boylston Street
Boston Business Journal
Date: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 6:20am EDT

Nordstrom is planning to open its first store in Boston at the former Filene’s Basement space on Boylston Street, the Boston Globe reports, citing officials briefed on the deal.
Nordstrom plans to bring its discount brand, Nordstrom Rack, to the site, the Globe reports. Nordstrom Rack will take over the entire two-floor space vacated by Filene’s Basement after it filed for bankruptcy protection.

EDIT: Perhaps should just go in 'New Retail' thread.

So is this going to be a full Nordstrom's AND a Nordstrom's rack? The murky writing leaves a lot unclear.

what i heard on wbur made it seem like this would be a nordstrom's rack

Would have to be a Rack. The space is far too small for a full Nordstrom's.

Never heard of Nordstrom's Rack. Is it a nice Rack?

Is it comparable to the Basement, in that I might find something occasionally that is both nice and affordable?

Nordstrom Rack is just Nordstrom's response to Filene's Basement. Same thing. Name brands, clearance prices.

A Nordstrom in Copley Square would indeed be epic though.

Yeah the rack is basically just filene's basement, I was actually able to afford a tie from it once!

YAY!!!! :)

Maybe Nordstrom would like to occupy the original site of Filnes -- aka the Millenium Hole

I've said it 10,000 times on here, lol.

Haha, I thought of you when I first saw the story. I was like "Datadyne has been waiting for this", but then I realized it had nothing to do with Millienium's project. :(

Just saw my first Nordstrom's Rack in Chicago last week. Wow. Very down-market. Maybe good deals, but as a retail space to enhance Boylston? Not so much.

Just saw my first Nordstrom's Rack in Chicago last week. Wow. Very down-market. Maybe good deals, but as a retail space to enhance Boylston? Not so much.

Tomb -- Nordtrom's Rack is in a strip mall on the Burlington Lexington border which also features a Market Basket and Old Navy

Is it downmarket in the way that AJ Wright, I mean CW Price, is downmarket?

Is it downmarket in the way that AJ Wright, I mean CW Price, is downmarket?

Not sure what those are...
The one in Chicago was in a fairly blah, newish suburban mall and looked like a Kmart fallen on hard times. Supermarket lighting blaring down on linoleum-tiled floors. Racks and racks with basic signage (Men's Shorts--sizes 30-42), no "decor" of note, dressing rooms were Target quality (not bad). I was just surprised this was a look Nordstrom would want to be associated with.

There is a Nordstrom Rack in Shoppers World, IIRC. Typically NR occupies former big-boxes in a warehouse-type store, but I think an urban Nordstrom Rack wouldn't be as loose on design. They would likely just keep it the way Filene's Basement looked.

There is a Nordstrom Rack in Shoppers World, IIRC. Typically NR occupies former big-boxes in a warehouse-type store, but I think an urban Nordstrom Rack wouldn't be as loose on design. They would likely just keep it the way Filene's Basement looked.

Data -- Lex-Bur Nordstom's Rack went into a completely renovated strip mall that once housed the Home Depot up-market spin-out? Expo which folded during the beginning of the Great Recession

I don't think that the building is down-market as the re-construction phase occupied over 6 months

Back