Firetruck accident

castevens

Reaction score
My condolences go out to the family of the firefighter who died when Ladder 26 lost control of its breaks today. I live right next to Ladder 26 Company's firestation and I walk by the station all the time. A few of the guys I know fairly well. It is a sad day for them. I took a few pictures of the goings-on tonight:

3182910677_d206f1fe81_b.jpg

Wentworth had just put its flag at half-mast no more than 20 seconds before I took this

3183817018_0b789790a5_b.jpg

The station itself (Huntington Ave, the corner of Ruggles St)

firetruck2.jpg

3183018315_d221e0380a_b.jpg

The accident scene (as far as they would let us go)

And finally, the story:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/01/fire_engine_cra.html

One firefighter was killed and another was seriously injured when a Boston Fire Department ladder truck hurtled down a hill and crashed into a building today on Huntington Avenue in the city's Mission Hill neighborhood, city and fire officials said. Three children were taken to the hospital with minor injuries when the truck hit the room where they were participating in an after-school program.

Fire Lieutenant Kevin M. Kelley, 52, of Quincy, a 30-year veteran of the force, was killed in the crash, said Steve MacDonald, a fire department spokesman.

The truck was carrying Kelley and three other firefighters back from a routine medical call when it went down Parker Hill Road, rumbled through the intersection with Huntington Avenue, smashed into two parked cars, and struck the building, said MacDonald. Kelley was riding in the front passenger seat when the truck rammed the building at 835 Huntington Ave. at around 2:32 p.m.

One seriously injured firefighter was taken to Brigham and Women's Hospital, said Jennifer Mehigan, a spokeswoman for Boston EMS. Two other firefighters who were riding in the truck were treated for minor injuries and were in good condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, said hospital spokeswoman Jaime Lyons. Five other people who witnessed the crash were taken to the hospital with emotional distress, said Mehigan.

Kelley, who had three adult daughters, was given a citation in 1997 for his work in an Oct. 26, 1996 fire in Roxbury, MacDonald said. Edward A. Kelly, president of Local 718 of the International Association of Firefighters, said Kelley was "a true veteran who served the city with distinction."

This is truly a sad day.

There was a TV show about this firehouse... whatever happened to that?

"Firehouse" from ... the Discovery Channel(?)
Segments used to be on YouTube.

Edit: Still are. Guy from the Netherlands has them all posted, and subtitled in Dutch, too. Heheh

Damn. That sucks.
I've skidded down this hill, shit, every hill ;), in Boston while driving my '74 B-210. That thing never held the road but managed to recover readily every time. Crazy teenaged driver! :eek:

I'm worried that learning to drive in the suburban midwest with our flat, wide roads that I won't know what to do when I get back to Boston, or any city for that matter.

It's called walking, riding a bike, taking a cab, or braving the MBTA. Cars, who needs them?

So the front page of today's Herald had a small picture of the deceased fireman with the large headline of DIDN'T HAVE TO DIE!, while the back page had a large picture of Jim Rice with the large headline of IMMORTAL!

I realize they are on opposite ends of the paper, but am I the only one who thinks an editors should have looked at that and said, No. ?

Three words: It's the Herald. As an institution it has found the only way it can perpetuate itself is by continually casting off any semblance of taste, dignity and judgment.

I've seen worse tabloid treatments of death:

2004_03_nyusuici.jpg

I'm worried that learning to drive in the suburban midwest with our flat, wide roads that I won't know what to do when I get back to Boston, or any city for that matter.

Most of Boston is very flat. Parker Hill Road is an exception, and is truly bad in the winter. Unless you are doing a sports injury rehab at New England Baptist Hospital, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

With practice, Boston will pose no challenge. But I don't recommend getting a car. The insurance premium you will have to pay as a newer driver based in the city will be ruinous, and could be better spent having a good time!

Is that real?

Yep, I remember buying it.

You're going to need re-education. I learned to drive in the windy, sclerotic hills of Allston and pretty much let cruise control chauffeur me anywhere west of the Berkshires.

Most of Boston is very flat.

I don't agree. Any neighborhood that isn't landfill has serious hills - Southie, Eastie, Charlestown, Brighton, Roxbury, Dorchester, JP, Rozzie, West Roxbury, Hyde Park.

Same goes for a lot of the surrounding towns - Somerville, Arlington, Belmont, Medford, Malden, Melrose, Brookline, Newton, Waltham, Milton, Canton, etc.

Cambridge is fairly flat but it's the exception.

Maybe it takes a bike rider to really notice this?

I could be wrong, but I think Toby's referring to the Shawmut Peninsula. With the exception of Beacon Hill, it's pretty flat.

Toby? Has my potato been bakin' too long?

I could be wrong, but I think Toby's referring to the Shawmut Peninsula. With the exception of Beacon Hill, it's pretty flat.

Let's not forget Copp's Hill. I'd hate to see a firetruck zoom down Charter Street or Hull Street and fail to stop at the end.

Back