Fore River Bridge

I love how this bridge is part of the "Accelerated Bridge Program" when the original 1936 bridge was demolished in 2004. I would hate to see if it was on the non-accelerated bridge program - I'm glad they are finally making some progress.

Over the last decade, I had assumed they weren't even planning to build a permanent bridge any more. I recall hearing about a "temporary" bridge, to be followed by a "permanent" bridge before they even knocked the old bridge down.

Ten years on, it's nice to hear they're finally doing something about that "permanent" bridge ... I guess. Really pathetic they had to wait so long to move on this.

As of MassDOT's current update work is being finished on constructing the temporary support structure and work is starting soon to demolish the 1936 Quincy approach structure over the Railroad Tracks and start construction of the new Dolphin & Fender System.

I thought all remnants, including abutments and approaches, from the old bridge have already been demolished?

No, They only demolished the bascule (lift) span and some of the approach spans on the Quincy & Weymouth sides. Alot of people don't realize as you drive up from the Rotary in Quincy your on the old 1936 bridge and if you look to the left you can see where the old bridge used to cross. Same on the Weymouth side. Until you take tht sharp shift to the left your on the 1936 bridge

Back