Forums like this for other cities?

mdd

Reaction score
After living in Boston for my whole life, my wife and I recently moved to Seattle. I’m hoping that there are other forums like this one specifically for other major cities, has anyone come across anything? I did a google search but didn’t come up with much other than the skyscraperpage forums.

Thanks!

Hi, I have a photo thread on Page 3 of General Architecture & Urban Planning titled, “The Seattle Scene”, from October 1, 2019.

To my knowledge, there's "SkyscraperCity" and kinda Railroad.net (talks about trains, but it veers a lot in urbanism discussions - Though the Boston moderator works hard to keep the topic to trains only).

Funny thing about SkyscraperCity is (IRRC) Archboston is the Boston forum of SkyscraperCity. Though it's been so many years that I might be completely wrong here. Something happen and this forum spun-off from the forum page that was within the SkyscraperCity forums. Even checking SkyscraperCity now, there's no Boston forum (or at least I can't find it).

There's also a 3rd forum I can recall - City-Data. But at least the Boston one, the community has evolved to be more like an older, conservative version of r/Boston than an urbanism forum.

Skyscraperpage is another good one for general North American cities. Skyscrapercity is more international.

Toronto has a major one called Urban Toronto: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/

I don't know of anything specific for Seattle. It should have its own sections on both of the skyscraper sites I listed, if you drill down to the north american, pacific northwest sections. Otherwise there are also pretty regular posts from there on the construction/proposal threads located in the first sections of those forums.

EDIT: I did some drilling for you. Skyscrapercity is the clear winner, lots of updates there.

Urbanplanet was active for select cities (tracked Charlotte, NC) but others are less active with last responses from 10 years ago such as Greater Boston

There's also a 3rd forum I can recall - City-Data. But at least the Boston one, the community has evolved to be more like an older, conservative version of r/Boston than an urbanism forum.

CD has its merits (I'm an active member), but any conversation re: urbanism is bound to devolve into a handful of people debating crime (cities = bad/dangerous!) and the horrors of using TAXPAYER DOLLARS! on things like transit and infrastructure.

I have found AB to be uniquely robust. I haven't live in Boston since everyone had Blackberry phones and I still hang about here bc of the quality.
Even NYC has dropped off. Wired NY is kept alive by me and a couple of others. I am trying to get Techtonic to get back on there and cut and paste some of his amazing protos from his IG account.

Back