Fung Wah Misery

PerfectHandle

Reaction score
How much longer can the Fung Wah hold on?

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/01/fung_wah_bus_ru.html

Fung Wah bus runs into trouble on turnpike

By Mac Daniel, Globe Staff

In the latest trouble for the Fung Wah discount bus line, the wheels literally fell off a New York-to-Boston bus on the Massachusetts Turnpike today.

None of the 30 passengers on board were injured, but State Police cited the company after two of the tandem rear wheels on the right side of the bus detached from the vehicle's rear axle as it was headed from New York to Boston...

Thanks for that link, Ron. Surely the highlight of the test in light of today's events:

3. Why the hell did you, Spatch, take the Fung Wah, when you know the bus could very well drop an axle or plow into a pickup truck full of nuns or do something equally bizarre and terrifying?

That was written on the 12th of last month. So I guess he must be a psychic..

While I do have my doubts about the safety of the Chinatown buses, I would be interested seeing a safety comparison with Greyhound/Peter Pan. I seem to recall a Boston bound Peter Pan or Greyhound bus flying off I-91 near New Haven a few years back in which one passenger was killed. Also friend of mine was once taking one of them (PP/GH) back from New York when it broke down and it took six hours for a replacement to arrive...

kz1000ps said:
That was written on the 12th of last month. So I guess he must be a psychic..

Hey, that's my story! (and hi, Ron!)

If there's a silver lining to search for, perhaps I should be glad that the "drop an axle" part was the part that came true and not the "pickup truck full of nuns" part.

But yeah, we're not going anywhere near the Fung Wah again any time soon. Granted, any bus line is prone to accidents and breakdowns (and indeed, on our trip to NYC that weekend, we passed one disabled Peter Pan bus on the side of I-91 near New Haven) but since the Fung Wah is in our local collective consciousness as "that bus line that gets into trouble," any mishap is immediately jumped on. It's the whole "shark attack" media bandwagon phenomenon. Except sharks don't usually burst into fire.

Hi, Spatch, and welcome to ArchBoston! You'll have a good time here.

Liberal people don't use Fung Wah because they're racist deep down.

big baby bosdevelopment

bosdevelopment = DudeUrSistersHot

or at least I pray there aren't two of these total losers on this forum

bosdevelopment said:
Liberal people don't use Fung Wah because they're racist deep down.

Actually, I think it has more to do with the fact that they aren't brain dead enough to get on a bus with such a dangerous record. I am one of those dreadful liberals and I would much rather take the Delta Shuttle than be stuck on a miserable bus with a bunch of other morons who are either too cheap or too impoverished to fly, take the acela or at least get on a safer bus.

Re: big baby bosdevelopment

BostonObserver said:

BostonObserver = has nothing productive to say whatsoever and spends most of his posts complaining about Dudeursistershot and bosdevelopment

I don't see what the last few messages have to do with Fung Wah.

Re: big baby bosdevelopment

BostonObserver said:

Worst agenda. Ever.

Point is fungwah's just like Peter Pan, except for asians' shrill demands and their harboring of ill will for cheap white people.

Ill will? I don't think so. Just lax regulation and some cutting of corners on safety whle a price war goes on. Nobody wants to have these accidents, but they'll happen unless inspectors pay closer attention.

examples?

bosdevelopment could you tell some of your personal experiences on the fung wah bus. ooops i forgot you only travel by limo.

I've taken Fung Wah many times and I've never had any problems. I was actually on a bus from Boston to New York the day before that accident.

All of their problems seem to occur going the other direction-- I don't know why.

my opionion

I've taken the Fung Wah about 20 times in the past 5 years and also have never had any problems on it. I don't think I've ever seen more than a handful of Asian, it's mostly been college students, not that that would matter. I've had worse luck with Amtrak.

I Lucky Star-ed it to NYC a few weeks ago with no problems. The driving is aggressive but all of those cheap bus companies are in competition with each other. Plus it was $30 round trip.

If you want to take a cheap bus, take a cheap bus. There's probably no more risk than if you drove in your own car.

Last week I had my first bad experience on the Fung Wah. On the trip back to Boston the driver was speeding, tailgating, and weaving recklessly in and out of traffic the entire 4 hours. I forgot to mention it was night time and the first half of the ride it was raining and the second half it was snowing. I don't mind going a few miles over the speed limit but this guy was going 75 in the snow and changing lanes faster than I would in a car.

No one hurt as Fung Wah bus crashes on Pike

fungwah%20off%20road.jpg

Back