Future Boston Alliance

Are we? Here's the things in Brooklyn I've been finding to be very cool. Whats our equivalents?

http://www.brooklynflea.com/smorgasburg/

http://www.googamooga.com/

And the new soon to open Barclays Arena in Brooklyn is involving local food vendors. What facility here does that?

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2012/02/barclays_center_seeking_brooklyn_food_vendors.php

While old factories are being made into facilities designed for small food producers. Is that happening here too?

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/02/williamsburg-pfizer-building-culinary-center.html

If these things are happening here, somehow I havent become aware of them.

There is foodie culture in Boston if you know where to look for it (mostly isolated pockets of Cambridge and Somerville). But as someone who currently lives in Brooklyn, I have to say I hope Boston can achieve its desired level of coolness without plunging as far down the foodie rabbit hole as this borough has. Montreal is a better example of a city that's had a culinary renaissance without taking things to levels of easily mockable excessivity.

I agree with CZ. The 1upsmanship of Brooklyn foodie/DIY culture has become a complete parody of itself. Most news reports describing the scene could otherwise have come straight out of the Onion.

I'd personally say that if something is not here which you'd like, then instead of complaining it isn't here, then why not find like-minded individuals and start something? That's what people in Brooklyn do (like the dood who wondered why there was no dedicated mayonnaise shop and opened one).

Well if you are determined not to get the point of what I'm saying then ok. But I'll try one more time: the government of this city could do a lot to encourage things which are creative and authentic instead of always embracing chains and corporate schemes. Putting a Florida based franchise operation on the common is but one example. Pointing out that Barclays Arena is inviting in local food vendors is another.
Seeing an old factory being turned into a home for small food producers is another.

If you want to skip all that and rest upon the (easy) mocking of that mayo shop, go ahead. There's more to it than that, but that is about the response I've expected to get around Boston.

I'm in the process of selling my house here, closing my business and relocating to NY where I stand a better chance of having my ideas embraced rather than mocked as some kind of threat to the city. What I'm planning will be embraced there, rather than mocked here. Its not a food business, but this area is one where I see vivid contrasts between what is possible here vs what is possible there.

I personnally gave up on the culture here a few years ago after 15 years of battles with City Hall. I'm tired of banging my head against the wall here, but I do wish the city the best of luck. Its quite a nice place, just boring and no longer for me. I'm the kind of person Greg Selkoe is talking about, someone who could've chosen to spend his resources and efforts here but is leaving because the culture here is too restrictive.

Carry on, Bostonians, Carry on.

I agree with CZ. The 1upsmanship of Brooklyn foodie/DIY culture has become a complete parody of itself. Most news reports describing the scene could otherwise have come straight out of the Onion.

Yeah, I didn't realize the extremes things had reached in Brooklyn, and it isn't what I meant when stating that we have it here. I was working from what Lucky said in an earlier post:

I look at what is happening in Brooklyn, with so many small food producers jockeying in open air markets, selling their goods to small independent shops, inspiring consumers and restaurants....

I took this to mean a multitude of farmers' markets, interesting indie restaurants, gourmet shops, and the like. All of which is happening all over Boston's outer neighborhoods, where the lamented Panera is not to be found.

Lucky, we're talking past each other. I'm actually not mocking the mayo shop. I'm saying that changes start with people - like the mayoman - noticing something lacking and having the gumption to change it or build it themselves. Just because nobody's doing it doesn't mean it's impossible.

In any case, best of luck in NY.

One other observation. I was in Toronto last week and the place is absolutely hopping - more cranes than anywhere else I've seen recently outside of China. Glass and steel construction of not just one neighborhood of high rises, but multiple nodes of this in a sort of concentric circle around the downtown area. AND, these new buildings have retail on the ground floor - not just Paneras and Starbucks, but Daddy's Pizza and ABC Lotto. AND, the condos are being sold for as little as the high 200s. AND most of these buildings are pre-sold before construction even begins!

What's fueling this? I get my information from taxi drivers. The consensus: immigration

Could you imagine the discourse in America today putting immigration at the center of positive urban trends? Hardly. Educated immigrants WANT to be in our cities and centers of education, invest in businesses and innovation, and thereby grow our local and national economy. And we're doomed to let this opportunity pass us by if we can't be more like our neighbor to the North. This isn't a Boston problem; it's a national problem. All of our cities, but especially cities like Boston, would benefit from extending a much more welcoming mat.

Somerville considers itself to be welcoming to immigrants. Is that less true in Boston?

Somerville considers itself to be welcoming to immigrants. Is that less true in Boston?

I think Shephard's point regards national immigration policy. We do not issue enough visas to highly educated, entrepreneurial types wanting to set up shop in the U.S. Somerville can open it's arms quite wide, as can Boston or any other city, but the actual talent is cut off before it reaches the door.

[edit]
Here's a study by Brookings that should shed some light: http://www.brookings.edu/research/papers/2011/01/immigration-west

I'm saying that changes start with people - like the mayoman - noticing something lacking and having the gumption to change it or build it themselves. Just because nobody's doing it doesn't mean it's impossible.

That's kinda the point though, at least for Boston. You can't because the city won't let you.

I think Shephard's point regards national immigration policy. We do not issue enough visas to highly educated, entrepreneurial types wanting to set up shop in the U.S. Somerville can open it's arms quite wide, as can Boston or any other city, but the actual talent is cut off before it reaches the door.

[edit]
Here's a study by Brookings that should shed some light: http://www.brookings.edu/research/papers/2011/01/immigration-west

Thanks. I was referring to national policy, not city culture. That's a great report.

The fact that this is an issue IS the issue. Why can't a restaurant in a commercial and restaurant district where other venues are not get permission to serve food later. Why must they beg in front of the commission to do so? There should be a framework for responsibility (i.e. no issues for a year do what you want for your business).

http://www.universalhub.com/2012/battle-keep-boston-sleepy-joined-allston

The battle to keep Boston sleepy is joined in Allston
By adamg - 5/23/12 - 3:47 pm
Representatives of both the mayor's office and City Councilor Mark Ciommo agreed that Douglas Bacon is a fine restaurateur who runs quality restaurants. And yet both told the Boston Licensing Board today they oppose Bacon's request to extend the hours of his Avenue Bar and Grill in Allston an hour, to 2 a.m.

Why? Because they always oppose requests in Allston to extend liquor-serving hours to 2 a.m., no matter the number of existing 2 a.m. closing times or the fact that Bacon has racked up no violations in the year since he bought the place and turned it into an upscale establishment with a tough code of conduct for patrons.. In a later hearing, the mayor's office supported a 2 a.m. closing for a restaurant proposed for the area on top of the existing Hillstone restaurant next to Faneuil Hall.

The licensing board votes tomorrow on whether to grant Bacon's request for the Avenue, 1249 Commonwealth Ave.

Bacon told the board most of his late-night customers are locals just getting off work who are looking for a place to grab a late meal or snack - he would keep his kitchen open through closing. He noted the McDonald's nearby is open until 2 a.m., as are several nearby bars.

Several nearby residents attended the 10 a.m. hearing to support Bacon. Zachary Smith, who works a late shift, said he appreciates the "very respectable environment" at the Avenue, as well as the food, and would like not to be so rushed when he gets there late.

Two residents of the neighboring 1255 Commonwealth Ave. opposed the later hours, saying it would just give drunks more time to tank up and raise hell under their windows and objected to having a bar next to a residential building.

Board Chairwoman Nicole Murati Ferrer, however, noted that all the bars along Comm. Ave. are near - or in - residential buildings, and asked the two if they had any proof the hellions they hear are from the Avenue.

"They could be from anywhere, that's true," one of the two allowed. "But the Avenue is the closest place. The neighborhood is crawling with drunk people."

Board member Suzanne Ianella said she plans to vote to let the Avenue stay open later, because it's run up no violations in the past year, because Bacon has an outstanding record and because nobody from the Allston Civic Association - which voted 7-4 to oppose the extra hour - attended the hearing.

A liaison from Council President Steve Murphy's office said Murphy supports Bacon's request.

Amazing that happened today, just after the launch of this group. They're going to have to shout a little louder.

One other observation. I was in Toronto last week and the place is absolutely hopping - more cranes than anywhere else I've seen recently outside of China. Glass and steel construction of not just one neighborhood of high rises, but multiple nodes of this in a sort of concentric circle around the downtown area. AND, these new buildings have retail on the ground floor - not just Paneras and Starbucks, but Daddy's Pizza and ABC Lotto. AND, the condos are being sold for as little as the high 200s. AND most of these buildings are pre-sold before construction even begins!

What's fueling this? I get my information from taxi drivers. The consensus: immigration

An influx of new blood of any kind would be welcome. How much of Boston's good-enough-ism comes is a byproduct of townies who fear change or don't get out nearly enough to see what they're missing? New blood means people without so much inertia or any emotional stake in current conditions.

Random side thought: I wonder how much the construction of dorms and the institutionalization of student residences has hurt the character of the city? While it's probably been a financial boon to students who were suffering from high rents and slum conditions, it's locked student life onto antiseptic campuses rather than distributing it throughout the city. That might be part of the reason there's no contemprary version of 80s Kenmore Square that's popped up further from the core as gentrification has claimed Boston's innards. (Of course, this gentrification itself has been a serious issue, gobbling up almost all the densest, most transit-accessible parts of the city, a problem that larger or poorer cities haven't faced.)

And most of those taxi drivers are wrong. Much of the Toronto building boom is speculative purchasing by foreign investors. Yes, foreigners are involved, but many (dare I say most) never even set foot in Canada. In fact, a lot of the developers have representatives in places like China and India, so prospective buyers can essentially buy the condo without leaving Shanghai. Many of the towers going up in Toronto are only about 40-50% owner occupied. The rest are rented.

Yes, Greater Toronto is netting about 100,000 new residents a year, putting it in the same growth league as cities like Dallas and Atlanta. Whereas those cities are gaining a lot of their population from internal migration, Toronto, due to its history and diverse nature, is the natural first stop for immigrants to Canada. Much like New York was a hundred years ago. However, the majority of off-the-boat - yes, I know, not PC - immigrants can't afford downtown condos. They're either in block apartments in the inner-suburbs or in cookie cutter subdivisions elsewhere in the region.

That said, I'm not trying to disprove your underlying message, however it's worth mentioning that in many metrics, the Toronto Board of Trade speaks very highly of Boston as a model to emulate for being more attractive to entrepreneurs and the innovation economy. Toronto and Canada can make Boston look like a free-for-all when it comes to fostering its new arrivals and its innovation economy.

How are the governments of San Francisco (San Jose), Cambridge, and NYC more welcoming and friendly to young people?

Why does everyone seem to think government is somehow responsible for the behavior of its people?

Does anyone claim San Fran, San Jose, or Cambridge are more welcoming to young people? Seems like they all have the same problems as Boston. They're all wildly high on the cost of living scale. San Fran and San Jose get a leg up because of the weather I guess, but not really for any other reason than why people come to Boston ie jobs/culture.

I follow Bay Area news about urban developments because I find the area interesting and usefully comparative. It's really all the same bullshit.

NYC and LA in my mind are the only two cities in the US right now that are actually focused on evolving in transformative ways. And even there, it's glacial.

How are the governments of San Francisco (San Jose), Cambridge, and NYC more welcoming and friendly to young people?

Why does everyone seem to think government is somehow responsible for the behavior of its people?

If you want the government to take a smaller role. That's fine by me. I presume it means a smaller government also means not making things like the story above of that bar trying to extent 1 hour not happen as there would not be regulations on that in the first place.

The examples of NYC and Cambridge (but not San Fran - its people friendliness is the culture, not the government) are places that while are taking those responsibilities, are at least doing it better than Boston.

There was a forum a few weeks ago called 'loosen up Boston' and it was run by the Globe. The Future Boston Alliance was represented by Malia Lazu- who's quite a character.

I think that one of the conversations that occurred was very telling. Randi Lathrop, speaking for the BRA/City, was responding to criticisms that food trucks are forced to shut down too early. She responded that the city was exploring the possibility of allowing them to remain open until, GASP, 10 pm.

This is a perfect example of the default regulatory reaction of the city. Instead of allowing the flow of business traffic to determine closing times for a new and welcome a new business resource, the city clamps down. If a truck can profitably remain open and serve customers at 2 am, let the damn truck stay open. Get the hell out of the way.

Same thing with sidewalk cafes. They are not permitted to open until april 15th...why the hell not? If it's a sunny 70 degree day on the 10th of April why is the city preventing the people of Boston from enjoying a bite to eat on the patio??? Get the hell out of the way.

Menino's default position is to hammer down on anything that might make anyone upset and later appear in the Globe or the Herald. As a result he tries to control everything.

Back