Future Broad Canal-Memorial Drive Bridge Work?

BostonUrbEx

Reaction score
I don't know what this means, but on Monday (possibly Tuesday, but I believe it was Monday) there was a team of maybe 20 guys in hardhats and safety vests out on the bridge just looking around. They were on the southern one (eastbound) looking around and also looking over the Charles. I would have to guess there's work planned since this bridge looks older than fossils and serves no use anymore. I have no idea if it's even operational anymore. The control tower windows are so dull and scratched and weathered it looks impossible to see from them.

Anyways, you can also see the bridge here:

http://www.lesvants.com/stock/Cambr...-10-10/pages/10-10-10_stock_4818-172 copy.htm

Any time the REALLY HEAVY equipment needs to be replaced at the steam plant it is easier to bring in a barge with the new assembled than to truck the equipment to the site in sections and assemble it. Shutting down the steam plant to remove equipment in section and install equipment in section is logistically more of a nightmare than doing a simpler fully assembled swap.

Any idea when the bridge spans were last opened? I had thought they were inoperable.

I also did not think either of these two bridges opened anymore. Also, the passage under the Craigie Bridge is CLOSED to all boat traffic until the spring.

Those crossing are probably mothballed along the lines of the Congress and Summer Street bridges prior to the completion of the Ted Williams' tunnel castings.

Any time the REALLY HEAVY equipment needs to be replaced at the steam plant it is easier to bring in a barge with the new assembled than to truck the equipment to the site in sections and assemble it. Shutting down the steam plant to remove equipment in section and install equipment in section is logistically more of a nightmare than doing a simpler fully assembled swap.

How often does that ever happen though? I thought the plant hadn't seen a barge since it's coal burning days. I really can't even imagine this thing opening.

It's probably in a dusty agreement somewhere that as long as the steam plant is operational the canal must remain navigable.

Back