Gables Seaport (née Waterside Place 1B) | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Is that from Thomas Park? That chimney in the first photo needs some help :)!

Yes, I didn't realize that was the name of the park itself! I just know it's by the Dorchester Heights Monument (but technically in Southie next to the HS).

Just my opinion, but I am struck by how good looking this building is. It's huge, but the individual windows really humanize versus the opaque glass cubes in other parts of the Seaport. One gets a feeling of the beehive of humanity that is going to be inside here versus the anonymizing mirror/icy fortress look.

Last edited:
F4BB482B-41C0-452F-855D-875057B4ABA5.jpeg

Not bad, not bad at all. Definitely appreciate how little glass there is beyond vertex. This is a huge positive imo, as many different textures and colors are just plain more visually interesting/stimulating than rows upon rows of blue blass boxes. The black with orange accents is also a color pallette not seen very oftem, so its definitely a solid addition. Definitely not a show stopper like the new one next door will probably be, but its a solid, welcome addition. Its not gimmicky either so it should stand the test of time.

-Oh yea and slanty roof alert. Hate it or love it thats become Bostons “thing”. Personally Im for it, too many building styles are just... anywhere. I think its kind of cool how this feature has kind of grown organically to become a trademark of Boston.

I'm not going to stay this building is good, but it is so much better than Waterside Place 1A

I'm not embarrassed to say, I am in love with this building. The window pattern is mesmerizing in a good way. The angular sweeps are not overdone, but are interesting. It looks completely different depending on your angle. How the hell is Kenmore Square getting Kmart architecture when architects exist that are capable of doing THIS??????

If the whole building was JUST what we see in Beeline's picture it would be a nicely proportioned building but theres a whole other half

Great building. Awful logo. Can someone get The Gables a graphic designer from 2020? HA

Is it just me, or does anyone else tend to stare at this building for minutes on end. I'm mesmerized. It's like the Rasputin of buildings and it's not even doing any cheap tricks to make itself stand out.

It's just quietly outstanding.

The BU Stack o' Books building is Anna Nicole Smith, The Gables is Jaclyn Smith.

Back