Gas Street Lamps

G

garzae

I'm looking to find out more information on the gas street lamps in the cities historical neighborhoods, and more specifically the ones on Marlborough St. I walked down Marlborough the other day and one was smoldering, is this a common occurrence?

Anyone know why they are only on Marlborough St in the Back Bay? Does anyone really hate them? I know they cost 6 times as much as electric ones, and require a lot of maintenance but I'm not sure what kind of maintenance and upkeep is required. The citys cheif of streetlighting recently commented they would never go away due to their historical appeal but I'm not sure what they really contribute.

Any information would be helpful.

They also exist on Beacon Hill and in Charlestown.

The citys cheif of streetlighting recently commented they would never go away due to their historical appeal but I'm not sure what they really contribute.
Well, that's what they contribute.

Dorchester has them in Wellsley Park,I think the city owns them?

Folks like to complain that change is so slow in Boston, but with faster change we might have lost Back Bay, the South End and Beacon Hill. Those gas lamps can be thought of as reminders of Boston's slowness to change --and the positive aspects of that.

Are you sure they've always been there? Weren't they restoration pieces?

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that there are still a couple thousand gas lights in use all around the city. Outside the core, I've seen them in JP, Dorchester and Charlestown.

They have them in Bay Village.

gaslight2.jpg

gaslight1.jpg

There are also gas lamps in East Boston / Jeffries Point.

Back