Reaction score
someone should bring back Ruggles Pizza...best pizza in Boston

Re: 45 Province St

Ruggles Pizza Was The Best Because:

- their use of sharp English cheddar

- the perfect balance between dough, cheese and topping

- a full menu of toppings and styles

- their pies were always smoking hot and would burn my tongue

- it was one of the few sit down semi quasi fancy pizza places in Boston pre-California Pizza Kitchen and not including Unos

- and the prices were great!

And those are my reasons why Ruggles Pizza was the best pizza in Boston....

Hope the cheddar overlaid a mozzarella base, sauce and lots of olive oil.

- their use of sharp English cheddar

Interesting, but this isn't pizza.

- it was one of the few sit down semi quasi fancy pizza places in Boston pre-California Pizza Kitchen and not including Unos

Fancy? Pizza is peasant food. (I know, because I'm a proud peasant).

At best, I'd describe Ruggles as ersatz-pizza. (When I'm not being a peasant, I'm busy being a pizza-snob).

Van -- Feel free to move this to "General" under "gastronomy" or something.

Although terrible during the day...after a long night Little Stevie's is still amazing at 2:30 am. And apparently people over 50 know exactly what I'm talking about as well.

^^ Agreed. Of the same character, New York Pizza (corner of Mass Ave & Columbus Ave, near Wally's) is also great. Add to it, Bianchi's on Revere Beach, worth the trip, even in winter. Haymarket Pizza has always been reliable, though a bit greasy on my last visit. Santarpio's and Regina's (Thatcher St.) need no promotion from me. Those are pizza places.

Last edited:
Pino's (and/or) Presto's in cleveland circle are awesome as well.

Wait what, Little Stevie's is still open? It's pizza place down near St.Clement's with beer right? I thought that place closed in the late 80s?

Still there, still good after a hard night of drinking at TC's.

I'd have to say Santarpios and Reginas are my favorites of all time. You really can't beat those 2, and you can't more homemade pizza than at Santarpios.

Little Stevie's has miraculously hung in there... they got shut down for a few months back in '06 for health violations and had to renovate the food preparation area (all new counters, sinks, ect.), but other than that they're still truckin'.

One of my favorites is a place in West Fenway called Sorrento's Italian Gourmet. On the opposite end of the spectrum from Little Stevie's, it's the kind of pizza that has a distinct taste you'll instantly love or hate. Plus, they do thick crust, and they do it well.. something that seems to be lacking in Boston.

Back