General Boston Discussion

Would really like to see Boston approach 1 million. Would result in increased ridership on the T, more taxes from the additional residential and it would help the pockets of the city that sometimes feel like ghost towns.

Last edited:
Interesting New Yorker profile on Michelle Wu, focused on her housing/development policies. The money quote in my opinion, finally a mayor that gets it:

"This new City Hall is so confident in its policies that it can seem unmoved by public opinion. Homeowners resent Wu’s quest for density. Real-estate corporations expect the special access they’d enjoyed under previous mayors. But, as she told the audience in Hyde Park, the city is pushing forward with rezoning and development, 'whether you’re going to like it or not in every situation.'"

Interesting New Yorker profile on Michelle Wu, focused on her housing/development policies. The money quote in my opinion, finally a mayor that gets it:

"This new City Hall is so confident in its policies that it can seem unmoved by public opinion. Homeowners resent Wu’s quest for density. Real-estate corporations expect the special access they’d enjoyed under previous mayors. But, as she told the audience in Hyde Park, the city is pushing forward with rezoning and development, 'whether you’re going to like it or not in every situation.'"

I don't feel like she's done much of anything? I don't get the love for her at all. She seems mostly like she's been keeping momentum going where she can but I have yet to see any bold or interesting changes under her regime compared to the Walsh-era.

Hopefully this post doesn't start a nasty political argument. I don't think she's a bad mayor or undeserving of the position, but I really haven't gotten the hype either.

What bold changes occurred during the Walsh era? Nothing against him but he was mayor during a building boom, so buildings got built... ok. Wu is pursuing comprehensive, permanent change in the city's zoning code to allow greater density by right in the places that desperately need it. And, she's pushing it through despite significant NIMBY opposition (see PLAN: Charlestown).

What she's doing is far more difficult and transformational in the long-term than anything Walsh ever attempted. Yes, it takes more than 2 years to see the results, but Wu's housing and zoning policy is the most pro-development agenda Boston has seen in a long time. ArchBoston of all places should be able to understand that!

I don't feel like she's done much of anything? I don't get the love for her at all. She seems mostly like she's been keeping momentum going where she can but I have yet to see any bold or interesting changes under her regime compared to the Walsh-era.

Hopefully this post doesn't start a nasty political argument. I don't think she's a bad mayor or undeserving of the position, but I really haven't gotten the hype either.
I don't live in Boston, but I've been impressed by her actions and talk. She has a series of videos on Instragram where she commutes with a different Boston resident every week to hear their frustrations with transit in Boston. Politics are difficult, but at LEAST she appears to care and listen to the average Boston resident. I certainly don't agree with everything she has done, but I think a good example of her listening is the North End outdoor dining issue. If it were me......I would have EVERY street be dining and remove EVERY car. LOL However, Mayor Wu is trying to balance the residents who live in the North End with business owners. I think she makes logical decisions based on the evidence or arguments for and against a specific issue. In my opinion, that's what a politician should do.

What other areas are low hanging fruit to be pedestrianized and closed to cars with limited traffic impact? Right off the bat there's the Copley Connect block on Dartmouth St, all of Newbury st, Causeway St in front of North Station, Main St in Kendall Square, part of Harvard Sq.

These areas are packed with people most days of the week, so what is the point of having a bunch of cars jammed in there where nobody can get anywhere quickly? Just make it emergency/delivery trucks only, and have dropoff/pickup areas on either end of the closed st.

Thomson Place in Fort Point would be perfect for this but the Trader Joe's shoppers would lose their minds. For me permanent pedestrianization of Hanover St in the North End is the obvious answer, but you're inviting a Fatwa if you ever mess with parking over there. Maybe part of the mini grid in southern Fenway?

What other areas are low hanging fruit to be pedestrianized and closed to cars with limited traffic impact?
One small spot I've noticed lately: this stretch of Bow St around Harvard Square doesn't seem to serve any traffic function whatsoever. You can't drive down Bow St because it's split into one-ways going opposite directions. Any trip you might take there could be done on the immediately adjacent Mt Auburn. This street only seems to exist as a surface parking lot and should be turned into a pedestrian plaza.

That plaza could also be extended a block east, where there are more restaurants. That would be an extremely minimal disruption to traffic, and totally worth doing. But these pictured couple of blocks of Bow St could be turned into a pedestrian plaza with no traffic penalty whatsoever.
1711562256084.png

UHub reports on a recent Boston City Council meeting re: the dissolution of the BPDA and bringing planning functions in-house at the City:

Back