General Infrastructure

DCR is closing Storrow Drive Inbound from Cambridge Street to the Bowker Overpass Sunday-Thursday 8PM-4AM. DCR is replacing guardrails and regarding the median. There is also a lane closure on Storrow Outbound. Work is expected to take 4-6 weeks.

They just did the same thing at Arsenal Street on Soldiers Field Road. They put in all new green guardrails.

Oh, but I thought DCR didn't have any money!!! What a bunch of blowhards.

They can't fix a simple path in a PARK because they are too busy wasting all their money on highways.

No kidding. It would certainly be nice if the repaved the path every 50 years or so. They seem to have enough money to repave Storrow and replace all the guardrails and fencing...

Can I sue the DCR if I can't have children from all the *%)£\-"%( frost heaves in the charles river bike path?

The MassDOT needs to take all roads from the DCR. That way DCR could focus on repairs to bike paths and parks.

Driving to/fro Worcester every day for the past three years has made me realize that the 495/Pike, 495/290, and 290/Pike on/off-ramps are woefully inadequate to deal with the increased truck traffic the area has seemingly seen since the CSX move. They are all simply too narrow and hilly to allow loaded trucks to exit/enter at any kind of speed and lead to huge logjams on the feeder roads.

Driving to/fro Worcester every day for the past three years has made me realize that the 495/Pike, 495/290, and 290/Pike on/off-ramps are woefully inadequate to deal with the increased truck traffic the area has seemingly seen since the CSX move. They are all simply too narrow and hilly to allow loaded trucks to exit/enter at any kind of speed and lead to huge logjams on the feeder roads.

There are projects in planning and in fact a major study was conducted over the last few years. Here is a link to the project website http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/planning/Main/CurrentStudies/I495Route9InterchangeStudy.aspx

http://www.courant.com/news/data/hc...roads-worst-in-us-20140714,0,4346900.htmlpage

Well-earned, Connecticut. Very well-earned. I remember growing up there during all the years and years of road construction blitz that happened in the aftermath of the 1983 Mianus River Bridge collapse on I-95...the last time they had worst-in-nation roads. They probably had the region's best by '92 or so after the last of that construction blitz wrapped (about the time MA hit its nadir). Then CTDOT patted themselves on the back and took the next 20 years off. Thanks, Rowland.

Massachusetts comes out very good vs. the northeast relative to # of public road miles. You gotta drive down the coast to Virginia to find a pound-for-pound-of-asphalt better performer at not getting buried by their own maint backlog.

CT has the strangest highways. They are a patchwork of so many larger plans that never were built out and make the place seem so unlike the rest of NE.

You gotta drive down the coast to Virginia to find a pound-for-pound-of-asphalt better performer at not getting buried by their own maint backlog.

Holy hell, come down to Delmarva sometime. All three states have abandoned any pretense of maintaining their roads. Route 1 in Delaware has this concrete surface that starts causing vibrations at about five under and make normal left-lane speed horrifyingly shaky.

That and they have too many left hand exits.

All those left exits are a side effect of all the unrealized highway plans. Pretty much every one of the left exits in the Hartford area is a freeway stub.

MassDOT will begin work on July 27th on a $17.6 Million project on I-90 in Boston work will stretch from Commonwealth Avenue to the Prudential Tunnel. Work includes median reconstruction, lighting improvements and ITS upgrade (AKA cameras, message boards).

Here is MassDOT Blog http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/boston-plan-ahead-for-i-90-lane-restrictions/

So...the lights that don't work that they replaced lights that didn't work only 10 years ago are being replaced with lights that ?????

Hope that works out for them better than the I-93 Somerville and Medford re-lighting project that's already rife with busted fixtures after only 2 years. MassDOT sure do hire some very, very special electricians to work on their perennially darkened highways.

So...the lights that don't work that they replaced lights that didn't work only 10 years ago are being replaced with lights that ?????

Hope that works out for them better than the I-93 Somerville and Medford re-lighting project that's already rife with busted fixtures after only 2 years. MassDOT sure do hire some very, very special electricians to work on their perennially darkened highways.

By and large highway lighting is pretty poor in Boston. Lots of lights out. They just replaced the flights on 90 from the 93 interchange to the start of the Pru tunnel last year and now you see multiple lights out at night.

By and large highway lighting is pretty poor in Boston. Lots of lights out. They just replaced the flights on 90 from the 93 interchange to the start of the Pru tunnel last year and now you see multiple lights out at night.

I love it that there are so many burned out lights in a row on the Expressway in Dorchester that the road is more reliant on that terrifyingly bright LED billboard in front of the IBEW Local 103 headquarters for visibility than the pairs of burnt out lamps posted every 100 feet on the median. It's like the electricians union is mocking MassDOT for cheaping out on the help.

Route 2 is another one where you wonder what's even the point of having the juice turned on when only 1 of every 20 streetlights works. My night vision works better with nothing at all turned on west of Lake St. and the town-controlled frontage road streetlights framing the road, and I secretly hope they just remove them outright between Route 60 and 4/225. 93 and the Pike absolutely do need them--in full working order--everywhere inside 128, but I honestly wouldn't be bothered if all if all the non- 495/290/84 exit lighting on the Pike got retired with the changeover to open-road tolling. Most of those have never worked right in my lifetime either, and the fixtures have been completely changed at least 3 times since the late-80's.

MassDOT begins its 10-Day closure of Morton Street over the MBTA Fairmount Commuter Rail tracks at 9:00PM on Friday August 8th in Mattapan. The roadway will reopen on Monday August 18th. The Fairmount Line will be suspended from 9:00PM on Friday August 8th till Monday August 11th at 5:00AM. The closures are so MassDOT can rapidly replace the superstructure of the Morton Street bridge. Crews have built a new superstructure on temporary abutments and will demolish the existing bridge and roll the new one into place using Self Propelled Modular Transporters this weekend.

Project Website http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/MortonStreetBridge.aspx

Blog post http://blog.mass.gov/transportation...morton-street-heavy-lift-bridge-installation/

I love it that there are so many burned out lights in a row on the Expressway in Dorchester that the road is more reliant on that terrifyingly bright LED billboard in front of the IBEW Local 103 headquarters for visibility than the pairs of burnt out lamps posted every 100 feet on the median. It's like the electricians union is mocking MassDOT for cheaping out on the help.

Route 2 is another one where you wonder what's even the point of having the juice turned on when only 1 of every 20 streetlights works. My night vision works better with nothing at all turned on west of Lake St. and the town-controlled frontage road streetlights framing the road, and I secretly hope they just remove them outright between Route 60 and 4/225. 93 and the Pike absolutely do need them--in full working order--everywhere inside 128, but I honestly wouldn't be bothered if all if all the non- 495/290/84 exit lighting on the Pike got retired with the changeover to open-road tolling. Most of those have never worked right in my lifetime either, and the fixtures have been completely changed at least 3 times since the late-80's.

I would not mind the retirement of the exit lighting at the big interchanges outside 128 -- IF we could get decent ramp edge marker reflectors in place.

For some reason, other northern states manage to mark their exit ramps with high quality, visible and durable road-side markers. (And the argument about snow removal is bull -- they do it well in Wisconsin and Minnesota). Mass just cannot get its act together on a durable system. And the ramps desperately need the markers, because of the poorly engineered, variable curves.

Back