General Infrastructure

I don't know and can't find anything, but the Cambridge goose lobby is very upset and posting daily updates: http://charlesriverwhitegeeseblog.blogspot.com/.

If you can handle it I bet you can page back into the goose archives and find the plans.

DOOMED!

White geese guy always makes me laugh, except when he comes after Charles River Conservancy volunteers and yells at them.

I will admit: his tenacity is admirable, at the very least.

Does anybody know how deep the Huntington Avenue Subway is in relation to the car underpass at Mass Ave? Are the tunnels carrying inbound and outbound trains at the same depth as the underpass?

I would hazard a guess that the subway is at the same depth or perhaps slightly deeper than the underpass. At any rate, the Huntington Subway is level all the way from Copley Junction to the Northeastern portal.

The trolley tunnels are somewhat deeper - the auto underpass only has about 9-10 feet of clearance, whereas trolleys are more like 15. I believe they share a common roof. The station is actually split in two to accommodate the underpass:

640px-Symphony_station_plan%2C_July_1960.png

(full size)

North Washington Street Bridge (aka Charlestown Bridge) replacement project is moving forward:

Project Briefing will be held on April 6th @ 7pm. MGH Charlestown Navy Yard, room 322, 3rd floor (36 1st Ave).

http://keepbostonmoving.org/wp-cont...minary-Design-Public-Hearing-Presentation.pdf

Just finished reading through the presentation. Looks like a drastic improvement over the existing N Washington Street Bridge. I was also relieved to see their traffic mitigation plan--it looks like there will always be at least one lane open in each direction on the bridge, which is a big deal here.

I'm surprised that the piers have the be replaced

Congress Street Bridge

Congress Street bridge soon to glow
The historic Congress Street bridge that spans Boston’s Fort Point Channel is slated for star treatment, even as the fate of the old Northern Avenue bridge is up in the air.

The Congress Street bridge, which also links downtown Boston to the South Boston waterfront, is set to be bathed in aesthetic lighting that highlights its features by year’s end.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority is seeking proposals to design and manage the lighting installation for the bascule drawbridge, a moveable truss bridge constructed in 1930.

“This lighting program will function to enhance and call attention to the 
architectural attributes of the structure,” said Chris Busch, senior waterfront planner at the BRA. “We would hope that colored lighting could be part of the program, but we’re just waiting to see what kinds of ideas and concepts that these lighting design firms come forth with.”

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2...nity-and-the-legacy-of-the-u-s-highway-system

U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx has a message for Americans this week and it’s an unusual one for someone in his position. When the country’s urban freeways were constructed, they were often routed through low income, minority neighborhoods. Instead of connecting us to each other, Foxx says many of these highways were intentionally built to separate us. He says it’s a legacy the country has struggled to address and it’s one Foxx hopes to begin to repair. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx joins Diane to discuss helping isolated, poor and minority communities get access to reliable and safe transportation – and a panel of experts react to his proposals.

^Wow! There are demonstrable examples of where urban highways were built as segregation "walls", but I never thought the USDOT would actually admit it!

Revisionist Historicizing KRAP

Fundamentally --the original Eisenhower plan involved building a national network for defense -- routing would intentionally bypass a lot of the local congestion in the cores of cities

At the detail level -- Highways were in general routed where the land was cheap and there were no powerful organized opposition -- thus lots of farm land in the exurbs and burbs -- and land with low levels of utilization in cities -- that's why we had the Central Artery run through the dilapidated wharf district of Boston

However North Cambridge stopped the Inner Belt -- it was just as poor as anyone in the way of the Central Artery or the Southwest Expressway -- its just that Cambridge had organized opposition [and Tip O'neill as a Congressman]

Of course there was pure political spite -- one politico didn't care for another -- and that's why Worcester didn't get a direct exit on the Turnpike and its airport is near to inaccessible

So when I say that one man not only shaped New York but shaped it for centuries to come, because now how can you overcome that? All the people who live in northeastern Queens, or Co-op City in the Bronx, and all of Suffolk and a lot of Nassau County, they’re condemned to use cars. It’s not easy to use mass transit. Moses came along with his incredible vision, and vision not in a good sense. It’s like how he built the bridges too low.

I remember his aide, Sid Shapiro, who I spent a lot of time getting to talk to me, he finally talked to me. And he had this quote that I’ve never forgotten. He said Moses didn’t want poor people, particularly poor people of color, to use Jones Beach, so they had legislation passed forbidding the use of buses on parkways.

Then he had this quote, and I can still hear him saying it to me. “Legislation can always be changed. It’s very hard to tear down a bridge once it’s up.” So he built 180 or 170 bridges too low for buses.

We used Jones Beach a lot, because I used to work the night shift for the first couple of years, so I’d sleep til 12 and then we’d go down and spend a lot of afternoons at the beach. It never occurred to me that there weren’t any black people at the beach.

So Ina and I went to the main parking lot, that huge 10,000-car lot. We stood there with steno pads, and we had three columns: Whites, Blacks, Others. And I still remember that first column—there were a few Others, and almost no Blacks. The Whites would go on to the next page. I said, God, this is what Robert Moses did. This is how you can shape a metropolis for generations.
Emphasis mine
Source
Let's just pretend this is just a one off and shit like this wasn't happening across the country.

Robert Caro is the classic example of a NIMBY who dresses up his thought in high-minded principle. The Power Broker and other statements he has made are full of unsubstantiated claims and a lack of analysis of alternatives. His best (and IMO only case) is around East Tremont and the Cross Bronx, which was a Jewish neighborhood at the time.

Whig is right. Land was taken for highways because it was cheap. Cheap land meant land in slums, land inhabited by the poor and working classes. This land was frequently inhabited by white ethnics, immigrants, and, yes, African Americans. Does that mean that the system was designed in a racist fashion? No. Did it have racist effects over time, yes. But that has a lot to do with the economy and migration patterns of the 50s and 60s, with African Americans leaving the South for opportunities in Northern cities, just as industry was departing, trapping them in poor, inner city neighborhoods just as they were being cut apart by highways. The South Side of St Louis (white) is just as cut apart by highways as the North (black). etc.

"Foxx says many of these highways were intentionally built to separate us. He says it’s a legacy the country has struggled to add"

Let's keep in mind that 'built to separate us' doesn't have to mean 'blacks on one side of the road and whites on the other' like a wall. It (also) means high mobility for some and low mobility for others. And a neighborhood can bear a disproportionate cost without being demolished in its entirety.

Also, all of this is inseparable from housing policy in the same era. If you're not familiar with the history of redlining then you're at high risk of saying some very stupid things on these topics.

Also, all of this is inseparable from housing policy in the same era. If you're not familiar with the history of redlining then you're at high risk of saying some very stupid things on these topics.

Red lining, racially restrictive housing covenants, slum clearance rules in the Housing Act of 1949, FHA lending rules that required red lining and racial housing covenants, etc., etc., etc. Sorry to those who don't want to accept that this stuff all happened, or want to make the bizarre excuse that "they didn't really mean it."

Back