General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

...this closure is presumably going to be longer than the collapse closure, with reopening predicated on repairs to that column or removal of the load it's supporting being completed.

At first I was thinking that too, but then I wondered if they could relatively quickly shore up the load with temporary jacks/braces around the affected column(s). It's possible that supplemental structure, such as is routinely used in/around demolitions to begin with, could be installed fairly swiftly here if the loading is well understood.

Because I can't help myself, I made a map of the current service.

View attachment June 2022 System Map during shutdown.png
june-2022-system-map-during-shutdown-png.25837

To the question of why GLX is terminating at Lechmere -- I wonder if they are just single tracking it between Lechmere and Union and only want to use 1 train for it -- leave the rest to bolster service between Copley and Government Center where, as you can see, the Green Line will be asked to absorb a large number of Orange Line passengers.

View attachment 25837

To the question of why GLX is terminating at Lechmere -- I wonder if they are just single tracking it between Lechmere and Union and only want to use 1 train for it -- leave the rest to bolster service between Copley and Government Center where, as you can see, the Green Line will be asked to absorb a large number of Orange Line passengers.

That map highlights how a Red-Blue connection would make things a lot more flexible in the face of disruption.

It has not been a good week for the MBTA, that's for sure. Even though some of these issues are clearly out of their control (like the garage deterioration), all of these recent issues occurring at once is a borderline worst-case scenario.

Their butts are on the line!! Click it or ticket. Get with the program. Make something happen. Your butts are on the line, & if things don't improve soon, I will fire you!! And test the new trains longer so that you don't have to take them outta service again. Hah!! But good!! I think that it's high time that SOMEONE puts some fire in them to shake them up. They NEEDED that. They were too busy sweeping things under the rug for too long, & not going back to clean it up!! Hah!! :mad:

Last edited:
Actually, that's a good point. While the tunnels may be unsafe for passenger service, this closure is presumably going to be longer than the collapse closure, with reopening predicated on repairs to that column or removal of the load it's supporting being completed. That work presumably will have a known completion time eventually. Given that's the case, as well as the FTAs directives to fix the bit between Tufts & Back Bay and Central Subway, which happens to be closed, what are the chances that the T is able to "surge" it's ROW access during this time? Things like GLTPS wayside installs, track repairs.

While it may be too much to hope that the T's maintenance groups can deploy that quickly, or manage both crises in parallel, it would be nice if the T came out of this in somewhat better shape than it went in.

It'd be nice, but you need materials in place and enough labor to multi-task. Not to mention, maintenance requires additional time/focus from dispatchers, and we all know what the dispatchers can afford to do right now..

View attachment 25837

This may be the fastest a map of mine has gone out of date.

Map updated with shuttle buses to Union, the B Line bustitution, and a new design language that may be a bit of a throwback for oldtimers who remember a previous era when bustitutions needed to be mapped.

june-2022-system-map-during-shutdown-with-the-b-shutdown-and-bustition-color-scheme-png.25842

Attachments

• June 2022 System Map during shutdown - with the B shutdown and bustition color scheme.png
    9.9 MB · Views: 1,006
Map updated with shuttle buses to Union, the B Line bustitution, and a new design language that may be a bit of a throwback for oldtimers who remember a previous era when bustitutions needed to be mapped.

That style lingered quite a while on old maps showing the "temporarily suspended" Arborway service. Oak Grove only finally lost that map within the past few years (the same map also designated Chinatown's accessibility as coming later that year, so it was pretty old).

Yup, that was the design language I was borrowing. And I grant it is slightly incendiary to apply that language here, but...

Yup, that was the design language I was borrowing. And I grant it is slightly incendiary to apply that language here, but...

I always liked it from a design perspective, and honestly now that you've 'revived' it I kind of wonder if it should make a comeback. It clearly differentiated from the main service pattern, while lending a permanency to the 'proper' route. Dashed lines tend to be the replacement, though it makes it hard to differentiate between suspensions and yet-to-be-completed sections.

I always liked it from a design perspective, and honestly now that you've 'revived' it I kind of wonder if it should make a comeback. It clearly differentiated from the main service pattern, while lending a permanency to the 'proper' route. Dashed lines tend to be the replacement, though it makes it hard to differentiate between suspensions and yet-to-be-completed sections.

Yeah -- dashed lines were going to be my go-to as well (as you can see in the first map, where the Central Subway shuttle bus is a dashed black line), but the continued presence of the Medford GLX made that hard.

But yes, now that I've done it, I do like it, and agree it could be useful.

I’m really not following what about the Union Square to Lechmere service precludes them working on the tunnel? Are they loading their equipment into a construction car at Union Square and riding it back and forth to GC?
From what I've heard, trains were actually not running from Lechmere to Union Square, even though the announcement would suggest otherwise. Passengers were told to take the 87 instead. That's probably why they extended the shuttle to Union Square this afternoon.

The T is announcing that Green and Orange service is expected to resume on Monday morning (though they are not guaranteeing it).

Back