Goddard House | 201 S. Huntington | Jamacia Plain

Jesus, it's even orange before cladding it. Who is the weirdo with an obsession with the color Orange on this project???

Dredging this back up to share with you all the crowning achievement of pretentious apartment complex names:
DpTzDw3XoAYbipX.jpg:large

^ I am clearly not the target demographic for that name (BRYNX), because I have no idea what it is supposed to evoke as a brand.

^ I am clearly not the target demographic for that name (BRYNX), because I have no idea what it is supposed to evoke as a brand.

Bryn is Welsh for hill, the x presumably is for cross or crossing.

Bryn Mawr means high hill. William Penn gave a large tract of land west of Philadelphia to Welsh Quakers; a bunch of communities on the Main Line (named for the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks heading west from Philadelphia) have Welsh names today, including Bryn Mawr (though there is no high hill). Living on the Main Line has a certain cachet, only some of which is deserved.

Every single development on South Huntington is a disgusting failure, with the exception of the tall resi tower, which is decent, and the project right on the corner of Huntington. The city totally blew an opportunity to take a barren and windswept corridor of ugly institutions, overrated and bland 90 year old brick piles, and parking lots into an inviting and dense streetwalled corridor. Instead, we've wound up with a series of low rise, orange plastic turds and preservation of some shit buildings (when can Boston fucking learn that not everything that's more than 75 years old is worth preserving) that shouldv'e been demolished (if, and only if, more thoughtful development could have taken place). Too late now; the fed owns the other side of the street but the corridor is blown. It's still barren, windswept, and uglier than it was ten years ago. A pox upon all involved in this series of extremely unfortunate events.

Every single development on South Huntington is a disgusting failure, with the exception of the tall resi tower, which is decent, and the project right on the corner of Huntington. The city totally blew an opportunity to take a barren and windswept corridor of ugly institutions, overrated and bland 90 year old brick piles, and parking lots into an inviting and dense streetwalled corridor. Instead, we've wound up with a series of low rise, orange plastic turds and preservation of some shit buildings (when can Boston fucking learn that not everything that's more than 75 years old is worth preserving) that shouldv'e been demolished (if, and only if, more thoughtful development could have taken place). Too late now; the fed owns the other side of the street but the corridor is blown. It's still barren, windswept, and uglier than it was ten years ago. A pox upon all involved in this series of extremely unfortunate events.

I agree that it falls far short of what it could have been, but it's definitely not worse than 10 years ago. Hopefully some of the so far preserved structures can be replaced with smaller infill projects to smooth out the rough edges.

For me the big failure is the public realm. This is a super wide street, it would have been great to see some good sidewalks and the addition of street trees. That would have gone a huge way to improving this corridor.

For me the big failure is the public realm. This is a super wide street, it would have been great to see some good sidewalks and the addition of street trees. That would have gone a huge way to improving this corridor.

I believe the city has plans to repave and re-do South Huntington. The GLX to Centre street would hopefully be part of this.

They're not going to extend the E-Line down Centre.

They're still looking at extending the E Line as far as Canary Sq at the intersection of South Huntington & Centre St.

The right-of-way along S Huntington is so wide it can easily accommodate the trains, and they already designed the station stops for it way, way back when the full E Line restoration was still in the works. Remember that it was Menino who killed the full E Line project, not the MBTA.

And the project is included in the city's Go Boston 2030 plan, so it's not out of the realm of possibility... https://www.jamaicaplainnews.com/20...lan-to-extend-green-line-to-hyde-square/25258

The Arborway Committee has been advocating for this over the past few decades, and there's no sign that they will give up any time soon.

They're not going to extend the E-Line down Centre.
I assume you are thinking about an Arborway restoration, and no, nobody is proposing that. What is under study, however, is extending it to Centre, as in Hyde Square. It would loop around the triangle formed by So. Huntington, Centre, and Perkins St., then back toward the VA hospital, inbound.

I agree that it falls far short of what it could have been, but it's definitely not worse than 10 years ago. Hopefully some of the so far preserved structures can be replaced with smaller infill projects to smooth out the rough edges.

I didn’t say it was worse, I said it was uglier, and I believe that. And there really isn’t much in the way of filling in the gaps since these mega projects take up so much land.

Re the E extension to Hyde , that’ll never happen. We can debate it ad nauseam but there just simply is zero chance there’s ever going to be two-car green line trolleys on perkins or the rotary in hyde square. Even if it’s technically feasible (which is doubtful), it would be a traffic nightmare and a safety hazard by even the most ardent transit extremist perspective. The older cars were smaller, and perhaps if someday the E reverts to a special, smaller trolley car line, maybe maybe. It would make much more sense to extend the E back to Arborway but that has many issues re traffic and emergency access as well, and would require banning parking on Centre, so its a nonstarter, too. The corridor is too dense to not have transit, too trafficky to make buses work well, yet not dense enough to justify a tunnel - the same problems with all of Boston’s dense, but still low rise, neighborhoods.

I live within sight of this project and see it basically every day. Though it is a Samuels project, and I normally have good expectations for their work, I'm not pleased with how this is turning out. The red facade is particularly egregious and looks like cheap plastic.

This. Spectacular post. Didn't/don't even have to take down 75-90 year old structures either. Maybe a couple. Otherwise, there are plenty of sites, and a few parking lots to add height, including getting significantly tall at a few locations.

Mission Hill was/is the natural place for Boston to exercise eminent domain authority to be a City. If a few idiots can't accept reasonable growth, too bad. City should have dropped the hammer on these nimby assholes years ago.

Mission Hill was/is the natural place for Boston to exercise eminent domain authority to be a City. If a few idiots can't accept reasonable growth, too bad. City should have dropped the hammer on these nimby assholes years ago.

This development is in Jamaica Plain. Only the building on corner of South Huntington and Huntington is in Mission Hill.

Back