Google Maps 3D Imagery Update

citylover94

Reaction score
I went on google maps tonight and noticed that something seemed different and when I looked closer I realized that the 3D view had been updated and there were now 3D models for the Millennium Tower as well as a bunch of the other recent additions.

Finally. 1 Dalton is also under construction in this iteration. I guess we will have to wait 5 years before we see the completed model. Also, nice to see the Seaport filling in.

I hope not, but it seems like they don't update these all that often. I haven't noticed a pattern aside from NYC seeming to get the most updates.

It's been a very long time since I've been able to get up to Boston and walk around enough to see the scale of the new projects and holy hell is this helpful. But my heart sinks when I look at what Alewife has become, density without urbanism. So much of Cambridge works so well, how did they fuck this up? This feels like Tysons Corner, not Boston. Watertown, Waltham, Eastie, Alston and Brighton, they are building the worst of both worlds out there. It's not about how they look but how they function, soulless boxes of ticky tack stacked on top of one another! At least in places like the South End or Fenway or to a less extent Kendall Sq they are adding enough retail to create some life. But these suburbs have fucked themselves. They make SBW look downright futuristic!

It's been a very long time since I've been able to get up to Boston and walk around enough to see the scale of the new projects and holy hell is this helpful. But my heart sinks when I look at what Alewife has become, density without urbanism. So much of Cambridge works so well, how did they fuck this up? This feels like Tysons Corner, not Boston. Watertown, Waltham, Eastie, Alston and Brighton, they are building the worst of both worlds out there. It's not about how they look but how they function, soulless boxes of ticky tack stacked on top of one another! At least in places like the South End or Fenway or to a less extent Kendall Sq they are adding enough retail to create some life. But these suburbs have fucked themselves. They make SBW look downright futuristic!

What projects in Allston do you feel should have retail, but don't?

But my heart sinks when I look at what Alewife has become, density without urbanism....

Alewife never had a chance. I call the area "edge city" as it's basically a demarcation line between the city and the suburbs. It was never well integrated with its surroundings, and there was really no way of getting it there. It's a soulless area, but it's main purpose continues to be serving suburban commuters heading into Alewife Station. The red line would have to be extended and traffic diverted to even begin thinking about stitching this area into the urban fabric.

Also, the commuter rail tracks cutting through it don't help at all. There isn't connectivity here and it would take a herculean effort to even partially remedy that.

Alewife never had a chance. I call the area "edge city" as it's basically a demarcation line between the city and the suburbs. It was never well integrated with its surroundings, and there was really no way of getting it there. It's a soulless area, but it's main purpose continues to be serving suburban commuters heading into Alewife Station. The red line would have to be extended and traffic diverted to even begin thinking about stitching this area into the urban fabric.

Also, the commuter rail tracks cutting through it don't help at all. There isn't connectivity here and it would take a herculean effort to even partially remedy that.

But this was the chance to change all that! Wasn't there some talk of bridges over the tracks being blocked? Now there isn't much you can do for a generation until these shoddily built landscrapers start to fall apart, maybe then there will be enough demand for some towers and a total redesign of the area.

Back