Gothic Colleges

Amazing post! I think that the modernists are slitting their own throats with their "everything has to be modern, no ornamentation, only modern materials" dogma. Modernism started as a reaction to the oppressive rules of traditional architecture, now it is the moderns who are the dogmatists. It all goes back to modernism's pretension that they had overcome history. They fail to realize that modernism is now just another historical style. I have no problem with architects working in a variety of historical styles--the great Beaux Arts masters could work in Gothic, Romanesque, Italianate, Greek, Federal, whatever the project demanded. The new/old task of architects is to pick the proper historical style for their project. Of course, if a blank slate becomes available, the way the massive area of the Prudential Center was in the 50s, contemporary style is the way to go.

Modernism is sort of a red herring. Has anyone even been a true modernist since Philip Johnson swapped allegiances in 1970something?

Not really. When most oppose a gothic dormitory or Georgian student center, they do so on the grounds that such buildings are at best very accurate replications or highly belaboured homages to the genius of one or another innovative figure in the past. Yes, use fieldstone and crown moulding or whatever, but why the need for an exact replica (or even a very literal evocation) of Christ College Oxford? It isn't buying into architectural teleology to demand today's architects do as the first practitioners of the Gothic or Georgian did in their time - be inventive.

czsz said:
When most oppose a gothic dormitory or Georgian student center, they do so on the grounds that such buildings are at best very accurate replications or highly belaboured homages to the genius of one or another innovative figure in the past.
They may oppose it on those grounds, but the accusation mostly doesn't hold water; problem is the accusers haven't acquired the knowledge for an informed opinion. The accusation doesn't apply to Cram, Porphyrios or (least of all) to the supremely inventive James Gamble Rogers. Greater familiarity with both the revivalists and their models will cure this misconception.

Yes, use fieldstone and crown moulding or whatever, but why the need for an exact replica (or even a very literal evocation) of Christ College Oxford?
As you say, this need doesn't exist, and neither do the exact replicas or literal evocations. There are veiled references to be sure, but these exist in all architecture including modernist work; no one designs in an amnesiac vacuum. Every time I finish a design, I can identify the influences and precedents. Any architect who tells you otherwise is a liar.

It isn't buying into architectural teleology to demand today's architects do as the first practitioners of the Gothic or Georgian did in their time - be inventive.
Mostly they are. To appreciate that: sharpen your skills at connoisseurship.

I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure exactly where you're coming from, czsz (I'm very familiar with ablarc's sensibilities from WiredNewYork *wink*). Were you criticizing both the early twentieth century revivalists and contemporary architects trying work within that idiom? If this is not the case, then Ablarc's comments are a little unfair.

Ablarc, it's unlike you to hurl accusations of ignorance while not at least attempting to educate. I don't want to hear that Rogers was "supremely inventive," I want to hear how. And yes, I've taken the Yale tour and know all about his desire to have windows broken and patched to better fool the viewer into believing he's in a mediaeval courtyard. Yes, I know he had to work in the context of a rectilinear city block, an obstacle that never really plagued Oxbridge. I know he achieved the trick of half-gothic half-Georgian facades.

Is any of this really creativity at work, though, or was Rogers simply attempting to adapt a style to the needs and desires of his client?

[revivalism] exist in all architecture including modernist work

Again the spectre of modernism! Traditionalists appear to require the foil of a consistent foe; invention is too slippery a sparring partner. No, not all critics of traditional architecture are hypocrites who themselves aspire to see Mies raised from the dead. What I am attempting to imagine is a world beyond the style vocabulary of 1950. Modernism was new once. So was the Gothic. What is new today? Have we passed some point after which we are doomed to cyclical revivals?

Every time I finish a design, I can identify the influences and precedents

I'm not arguing that inventiveness ought to emerge from a vacuum, simply that it (especially in the context of a university) accept its historical influences and yet transcend them to a greater degree than what Rogers et al aspired to.

Mostly [traditionalists] are [inventive]. To appreciate that: sharpen your skills at connoisseurship.

Might not the compulsion toward "sharpening" have to do with a degree of subtlety in the inventiveness of traditional architects that makes them not creative figures but mere tweakers and adapters?

Nonetheless I'm willing to try seeing a sharper world through your spectacles. Bring on another photoessay?

dbhstockton said:
Were you criticizing both the early twentieth century revivalists and contemporary architects trying work within that idiom? If this is not the case, then Ablarc's comments are a little unfair.
^ Why?

That naughty architect. Look, he's working in the classical, gothic or whatever style --and this is the 20th Century. Tut, tut.

Wait...! is it the early 20th Century or the late 20th Century?

What has really changed since the early 20th Century?

Thing that bothers me is these things are always couched in moralistic terms. Like purse-lipped schoolmarms we declare this is what an architect should or shouldn't be doing as though eternal architectural verities were conveyed by a theory of history.

I long ago stopped bothering my head with such fruitless questions. If the architect's product pleases and leaves the environment improved, hey, kick back and enjoy it. No need to cluck judgmentally because you think it's in the wrong style. Eyes are better to see with than theories.

What an architect should do is design good looking buildings that work well. Looks good, works well? It's fine; check theories at the door. Thank you very much.

Let's get on with making nice places whichever way we know how. There are plenty of incompetents who would blow any style they attempted. No reason to encourage them with theories that ascribe originality to what may only be ineptitude.

Czsz, essay on the way (people always give me homework ;)) --though possibly without photos.

Didn't mean to ruffle feathers; few these days are actually steeped in what it takes to read a traditional building accurately; both architects and connoisseurs are handicapped by not really knowing the thought processes of the other. This is aggravated by how both subjects are taught.

Architects are taught history courses mostly by art historians. Art historians know little about the actual process of designing a building, so they can only talk about the product --which they connect to the putative inevitability of zeitgeist history-- as you and other intelligent laymen do-- rather than to the design process, which would be far more relevant to their students' education.

So the student is left with a sense of history's irrelevance to his design process. He doesn't know how to use it, because his history professor doesn't either. There's no help from his design profs either; they likewise haven't been taught the connection. It takes someone rigorously trained in art history and architecture to cross the bridge; that's what makes Robert Stern so effective at what he does.

Having been trained in its methods, a student's design instructors are able to make the connection between modernist theory and history and the current design process. Consequently so can the students; about modern architecture, they have more to teach their history professors than those professors have to teach the students.

So: history seems dead and irrelevant to the budding architect, while zeitgeist theory relegates it to disreputability --chiefly on the word of architects themselves, their theoreticians and apologists.

The discussion never rises above vague and wholly vaporous assertions of appropriateness and intimations of sleaze. I prefer to take such theories with a large grain of salt, and leave my aesthetic judgments to the evidence of my eyes.

In short, I don't give a rat's ass about the style of a building. If it looks good, does the job it was designed for, improves the context and gives me a little something to ponder, it's OK with me. Sad that so few buildings meet these criteria.

(All the architects are off turgidly being creative.)

Pardon my late reply to your question -- it's a good one!

czsz said:
Has anyone even been a true modernist since Philip Johnson swapped allegiances in 1970something?

A few names (there are others):

Paul Rudolph
Hugh Stubbins
Edward Larrabee Barnes
John Lautner
Albert Frey

A case can be made that, in different ways, Rudolph, Lautner, and Barnes were all adherents to aspects of Critical Regionalism on certain projects. Barnes's Haystack Mountain School in Maine has the same approach to materials and the vernacular as Charles Moore's Sea Ranch. Rudolph's work in Hong Kong and Southeast Asia shows an informed awareness of local conditions and values. Lautner's work began with an intimate understanding of the site, and the owners priorities.

Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you what any of this has to do with Collegiate Gothic.

Easy, now.

Do you really mean that? Would you like to take that back?

Thing that bothers me is these things are always couched in moralistic terms. Like purse-lipped schoolmarms we declare this is what an architect should or shouldn't be doing as though eternal architectural verities were conveyed by a theory of history.

Weren't the revivals "couched in moralistic terms" and based on specific theories of history (ie. Western civilization got off track with the Renaissance)?

You're arguing that architects should have a knowledge of convention, precedent, tradition, etc. I'm with you. I know It's lonely, but don't assume you're all alone out there and no one else can see the beauty of our architectural heritage. I don't have any ideological allegiances. And I have had to learn about the true richness of convention on my own time, outside of architecture school.

I also understand your weariness with this kind of debate.

Like you, I would like architecture to be more oriented towards craft than art--I enjoy subtlety and refinement more than stylistic experimentation for its own sake. But the theorizing and morality are integral to architecture. Architecture is too vital a collective endeavor; the consequences of thoughtless building are too severe. Unless you're building a villa, you have to better than "pretty" and "works well." I guess you could broaden the idea "works well."

Well, I've rambled enough. I was about to start talking about Ruskin, but I think I'll call it a night... Girlfriend wants some attention... Oh, wait, that's none of your business...

dbhstockton said:

Do you really mean that? Would you like to take that back?
Plenty has changed, but none of it compels a specific architectural change --unless you so assert, which is mere historico-deterministic fluff. The opposite can be asserted with equal fervor --and I do.

dbhstockton said:

Weren't the revivals "couched in moralistic terms" and based on specific theories of history (ie. Western civilization got off track with the Renaissance)?
They were, but so what? You've identified the historical roots of the misconception, which coincided with the rise of still-prevalent zeitgeist theory; no more truth to it when spouted by a revivalist.

Modernists are now revivalists struggling for their style's survival faced with a hostile public. Isn't that a large portion of nimbyism's appeal? We don't like your style, so we'll talk about context and height. On this board, everyone reviles Rudolph and City Hall but justin, beton brut and me --and maybe czsz.

Folks call for "originality", but end up hating it once it gets familiar and dirty. Isn't that what you'd expect if all you look at is a building's originality and newness? How can mere originality survive the onslaught of time, which inevitably brings familiarity --along with dirt, the enemy of newness.

dbhstockton said:
You're arguing that architects should have a knowledge of convention, precedent, tradition, etc. I'm with you. I know It's lonely, but don't assume you're all alone out there and no one else can see the beauty of our architectural heritage. I don't have any ideological allegiances. And I have had to learn about the true richness of convention on my own time, outside of architecture school.

I also understand your weariness with this kind of debate.
Glad we agree.

dbhstockton said:
Like you, I would like architecture to be more oriented towards craft than art--I enjoy subtlety and refinement more than stylistic experimentation for its own sake.
I'm for art as much as I'm for craft, but I'm against ideology and the stylistic fetishism it brings.

dbhstockton said:
But the theorizing and morality are integral to architecture. Architecture is too vital a collective endeavor; the consequences of thoughtless building are too severe.
Nothing wrong with theories if they're right and useful for getting the job done. Modernism's anti-urban and sculptural theories engendered suburban space and scale. That was the wrong job to get done.

dbhstockton said:
Unless you're building a villa, you have to better than "pretty" and "works well." I guess you could broaden the idea "works well."
That's right; from your thoughtful comments, I'm sure our definitions of "works well" are identical.

Well, I've rambled enough. I was about to start talking about Ruskin, but I think I'll call it a night...
Problem with Ruskin: he's like the Bible; he can be misused to justify almost anything.

Girlfriend wants some attention...
Beats talking about architecture.

Oh, wait, that's none of your business...
No... But some other time I'd like to hear your thoughts as a student on the comments I made re architectural education and history. (I give homework too ;))

Princeton?s Whitman College is finished. Its design is soulless and often clumsy because its architect has only modest talent, but the construction quality is very high. At Boston College, this would be the best building.

020.jpg

030.jpg

040.jpg

045.jpg

050.jpg

060.jpg

062.jpg

065.jpg

070.jpg

080.jpg

090.jpg

100.jpg

110.jpg

130.jpg

Photos by chantaklaus, Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12699537@N06/1323821090/in/set-72157601860414696/

Wow, who decided to add the tudor dormers, the tackily inscribed college name, and the light stone that so abrasively mismatches the dark Princeton fieldstone above?

It was a good idea on paper but as ablarc pointed out the architect understood what to do but could have executed the designs better. I like the circle windows but they don't quite work where they are, I also think they might be too small but whatever.

I actually think the small circular windows are the high point of this building--everything else is so over sized its almost cartoonish.

...so over sized it's almost cartoonish.

As a style, Gothic often derives its effects from jarring juxtapositions of scale. Check out how the tower seems much too big for the building it adorns at right on the square. Almost seems like part of some other building. Out of scale, for sure, but also the source of the building's power:

11111.jpg

^It seems the small, intricate details of the tower allow for the juxaposition--out of scale yes, but connected to the base because it grows out of it like an organism.

^ Still seems like this giant thing plunked on top.

I have a feeling that building's design has less to do with the strictures of "the Gothic" as with its checkered past:

The belfry was added to the main market square around 1240, when Bruges was prospering as an important center of the Flemish cloth industry. After a devastating fire in 1280, the tower was largely rebuilt...The octagonal upper stage of the belfry was added between 1482 to 1486, and capped with a wooden spire bearing an image of Saint Michael, banner in hand and dragon underfoot. The spire did not last long: a lightning strike in 1493 reduced it to ashes, and destroyed the bells as well. A wooden spire crowned the summit again for some two-and-a-half centuries, before it, too, fell victim to flames in 1741. The spire was never replaced again, thus making the current height of the building somewhat lower than in the past; but an openwork stone parapet in Gothic style was added to the rooftop in 1822.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfry_of_Bruges

1486: when the building achieved its present form. Still Gothic times. Spire would have even exacerbated the scale disparity.

Back