GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

Re: YMCA/ Northeastern Dorm (formerly GrandMarc at St. Botolph)

The neighborhood isn't protesting the dorm over housing students. The YMCA membership, which doesn't necessarily live nearby, is.

There are a lot of property owners which are bullshit over the project. The slumlord investors don't like the potential for the rent bubble being deflated with a slow demise of their niche market. The owner occupants are bullshit this thing may be delayed, to the detriment of their quality of life.

I for one look forward to following the trends in property valuations. Will the loss of a rental bubble reduce property values from a decrease in rental income? Or will the exodus of students onto campuses make the neighborhood suddenly more valuable and attractive to those formerly adverse to sharing space with students?

My wife and I made a lot of money speculating and renovating property in the South End through various trusts over the years. Fenway could be a potential goldmine, when and if all the absentees decide to throw in the towel over a collapsed 'easy money' student market.

Northeastern's residence hall construction plans are not only to appease the neighbors. NU wants to increase on campus housing to further the "traditional college experience" that is desired by many college applicants today. (I remember when NU, BU and BC were all majority commuter students.) The proposed decrease in the freshman class size also dovetails with NU's so far successful efforts to become a more selective school. Retention and graduation rates are increasing so total enrolment will not fall. All this will help increase NU's rankings. So it is a win-win situation for the university and the neighbors.

Just a general question: how mjuch unmet demand for residence hall housing is there? There seem to be a lot of dorms already.

Northeastern houses 53% of undergrads on campus. The goal is to house 75%. There is a waiting list each semester of over 1000 students. NU will require all freshmen and sophomores (except students commuting from their parents home) to live on campus starting next year. Conceivably, this requirement could be extended to middlers (third year students) in the future.

Northeastern houses 53% of undergrads on campus. The goal is to house 75%. There is a waiting list each semester of over 1000 students. NU will require all freshmen and sophomores (except students commuting from their parents home) to live on campus starting next year. Conceivably, this requirement could be extended to middlers (third year students) in the future.

Thanks.
I've never heard of a school that required anyone other than freshman to live on-campus. Requiring juniors to live in dorms seems a bit excessive.

At Northeastern, most juniors are fourth year students, due to the 5 year coop program.

While there is a long waiting list, I'd say that a fair number of people that apply for housing use it as a back up, in case they can't get a good lease (and lets face it, when applying for a lease with other college students, reliability isn't a given).

Further, the housing situation at NU is unique, since a fairly significant portion of the population goes away for co-op at random times of the year (when compared to other universities). So, much of the demand for on campus housing is due to the desire for a place to live for 2, 4, and 6 month increments, rather than full years.

This topic brought to mind something. Realistically speaking, its unlikely to be able to achieve 100% on-campus residency. Even if there was enough housing for that, there's two major draws to living off campus:
- Affordability
- Freedom (to throw parties)

The second point is the one I want to address for the moment. Now, while I'm of the opinion that frat boys are a much better neighbor that what seemed to be on the hill decades ago, the party animals are the ones that the other locals complain about the most. They are also the ones that are least likely to move back on campus. In the end, increase the number of students living on campus might just take all the quiet ones that live off campus, while leaving the partiers behind.

In the end, increase the number of students living on campus might just take all the quiet ones that live off campus, while leaving the partiers behind.

Good point, though I can imagine that if "regular" residents occupy a higher proportion of off-campus housing it would set in motion a new social dynamic in which partiers would feel less free to be obnoxious as even partiers have a conscience (wishful thinking?) but also non-partier civilian neighbors would be less tolerant than non-partying students.

And so it goes:
http://huntnewsnu.com/2011/02/dorm-plan-angers-ymca-members/
I would like to know the socioeconomic mix of these protesting Y members. How many of them could afford a membership at LA Fitness but instead prefer the "subsidized" membership at the Y.

Almost 1,000 disgruntled members of the Huntington Avenue YMCA have begun distributing and signing a petition to prevent Phoenix Property Company and Northeastern from buying two wings of the building and constructing a dormitory in their place.

More than 970 of 2,700 Huntington Avenue branch members have signed the petition, which began in late January.

No official purchase and sale agreement has been signed by the YMCA or Northeastern, but an unofficial agreement has been reached for Phoenix Property Company to buy the Hastings Wing and the St. Botolph?s frontage for $21.5 million, according to an Oct. 22, 2010 statement from Northeastern. The YMCA will retain the iconic front portion of the building facing Huntington Avenue.

Phoenix plans to invest an additional $75 million to build a 17-story dormitory containing 590 beds in dorm-style rooms and 130 beds in apartment-style rooms. Northeastern will then lease the building from Phoenix, with the opportunity to purchase the building at a later time.

Some YMCA members said they are outraged they were not consulted on what they believe was a backroom deal shrouded in secrecy. They are afraid the building will be sold and demolition will begin before the new gym and community facilities have been built.

?There?s going to be this big void, and it?s going to be devastating to the members,? said Calvin Arey, a 14-year member of the YMCA and lead organizer of the petition. ?We feel, in this particular case, that Northeastern is the bad guy ? they have pushed hard to put this on fast track. The members are just being steamrolled.?

Northeastern?s efforts to build the new dormitory are a result of a commitment the university made to the city of Boston in 2006 to house 1,800 more students on campus. The construction of International Village, which contains 1,200 beds, filled part of that quota.

Northeastern Director of Communications Renata Nyul declined to answer questions or comment on the issue.

This is the second time Phoenix Property Company has attempted to buy portions of the YMCA building with the intention of building a dormitory in their place. In 2007 the company?s application to build a 34-story, 1,140 bed dormitory fell through after it ran into strong opposition from the community.

The dormitory, known as the GrandMarc, was to house students from several different Boston colleges, including Northeastern.

A university policy announced this year that will require sophomores to live on campus starting with next year?s incoming class has also increased the demand for on-campus housing.

Kelley Rice, head of external affairs for the YMCA of greater Boston, said the organization wants to sell the building in order to gain the money necessary ?to put a 21st century Y at that location.?

The building, which was built in 1912 and is the oldest YMCA building still standing in the country, is badly in need of renovation, Rice said. If the sale does go through, the YMCA plans to invest over $10 million in renovating the building, including making it more friendly and accessible to families with small children, Rice said.

YMCA members said they agree the building needs to be improved, but they are angered by the process by which the YMCA administration is attempting to do so.

At a question and answer session held Monday night by YMCA officials, several YMCA members asked why the administration was attempting to sell parts of the building in order to raise money instead of asking for donations from members, which they said would be forthcoming. They received no answer.

At the same meeting, other members described the process as backwards and questioned why plans to demolish the building were so far along when plans to build new facilities in the retained space had not even begun.

Phoenix Property Company applied for a demolition permit in June, and Northeastern sent an application to build the new dormitory to the Boston Redevelopment Authority in November.

The first meeting between architects and YMCA officials will be Feb. 15, in which they will discuss the feasibility of renovating the retained space to hold all the facilities YMCA members want. YMCA members are afraid they will find out it is not possible to fit all the facilities they currently have, such as a full basketball court and locker rooms for the swimming pool, in the 50,000 square feet the YMCA is keeping.

?It?s my goal that Northeastern is able to build a dormitory there,? said Boston city councilor Mike Ross, who has worked with residents of Mission Hill in the past to encourage Northeastern to house more students on campus. ?I do believe that it is possible to do the YMCA project in such a way that YMCA services continue, and that the dormitory is created.?

Ross and Kelley said complaints from surrounding communities about students who live off campus have been a driving force behind Northeastern?s efforts to build the new dormitory.

The university agreed to cap the number of undergraduate students it allows to enroll at 15,000 in order to control housing shortages in the surrounding communities.

But some YMCA members who live near Northeastern said they believe keeping the YMCA building on Huntington Avenue is more beneficial to the community than making sure more students live on campus.

David Mynott, a 51-year-old Dorchester resident, lived near Northeastern for more than 30 years.

?The undergrads did have a tendency to party sometimes,? he said. ?Sometimes it got out of hand, but not that often. Our issue is more with the Northeastern administration and not the students.?

The first-ever Northeastern class was held in the YMCA in 1898, when the university was known as the Evening Institute for Young Men, and some students don?t believe it is right for the university to buy and demolish part of the historical building.

?You should respect your grassroots,? Nina Lowery, a sophomore biology major said.

Joe Saliba, a sophomore electrical engineering major, said he didn?t think the YMCA members could do anything about the sale if it was ?fair and square,? but he understood why they were upset.

?I definitely don?t think it?s a good approach, because there are a lot of people who have ties there,? he said.

The university and Phoenix Property Company have said they would like to begin construction of the dormitory this summer, in order to have it completed by the start of the Fall 2013 semester, but the YMCA members said they are not done fighting.

To stop the sale, members said they will pursue a variety of methods, including contacting Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley for legal advice.

?I don?t know whether we?re going to be successful, but we?re pulling out all the stops,? Arey said.

There has to be a line draw at some point where if you don't own the building you don't have a say it what happens to it. These people live in a fantasyland free of the laws of economics. Why does the system indulge their reactionary fear of change and selfishness? Why are they allowed to get away with it?

but isn't the YMCA a member-supported non-profit organization? I don't know whether the members elect the management or not. Seems like the members have a legitimate cause for concern here.

But the Y can't afford any renovations without this partial sale of its property. Are the members willing to pay higher fees to fund the renovations if the sale to NU/Phoenix is blocked?

Revolution Fitness in the South End is closing in two weeks. I haven't heard of any petitions. Maybe the people there just accept life and move on?

Is Revolution Fitness a non-profit organization that is supposed to serve the interest of its members? If it isn't, I don't see any analogy between that and the YMCA. A better analogy would be, how would the members of the Symphony or the Athenaeum feel if those institutions tried to sell off part of their property and reduce programming?

Also, isn't the YMCA closing facilities here supposed to go along with building a replacement Y in the North End? Which they just cancelled yesterday?

Last edited:

Ron, you do realize most of these non-profit institutions really don't give a damn about their constituency or mission? They are all full of dead wood with overgenerous salaries and benefits mooching off the organization.

Why do you think that basic maintenance is deferred and functions are cut all the time despite generous endowments? The management isn't accountable. Everyone puts up with the theft because the institutions have such an undeserved reputation that no one questions where the money is going. The Horticultural Society, Greenway Conservancy, Symphony, YMCA, and MFA prior to Malcolm Rogers, are all shining examples of institutions with plenty of money, that are run like garbage, maintained like garbage, yet the management is routinely walking away with wheel barrels full of cash.

The Horticultural Society is not rich. The MFA lost millions for years before Rogers. Just before the robbery at the Gardner the Boston Globe had an article about how they had so much money and because of the will restrictions they didn't know how to spent it all. After the robbery it became know that they didn't have much money and the board was made up of the descendants of people Mrs Gardner had picked, people who were cheap. After the robbery the board was enlarged to include new Bostonians, ones with money and drive. Only recently has there been real money back in Boston and it's not old Yankee any more

Can you to name comparable art museum any where in the world that does more than the MFA? For that matter I would add the Aquarium, the Gardner, the Museum of Science and probably almost all the museums in Boston.

All of the non-profit institutions named above are a great asset to our city, although MassHort has been terribly mismanaged. I'd hate to see any of them go away or greatly reduce their size and scale.

And I'm not against Northeastern building their dorm in any way, but that has to be done in a manner that doesn't disenfranchise the current membership of the YMCA or damage its social mission.

Last edited:

"that has to be done in a manner that doesn't disenfranchise the current membership of the YMCA or damage its social mission."
Again, what is the social mission of the Y and what is the makeup of its membership, at least the users of the gym? If it is primarily college students and middle income people, why are they benefiting from a "charitable" organization?

Yes, wasn't the rumor that the Gardner staged the whole thing in order to collect insurance $?

All of the non-profit institutions named above are a great asset to our city, although MassHort has been terribly mismanaged. I'd hate to see any of them go away or greatly reduce their size and scale.

I'm not against any institutions. I'm simply against the culture of mismanagement, where large sums of money are directed to overcompensating legions of non-essential employees, while the parent organization is allowed to fall apart. There are too many apathetic people at these institutions who don't care about anything except their own bottom line. As soon as their department or organization is about to collapse, from financial ruin or utter neglect, they weasel their way into another institution to continue being parasites. There's an entire professional class of these people in the city and it's disgusting.

Back