Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

justin

Active Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
434
Reaction score
0
It takes 8 freakin' years to lay track on an existing ROW???

jusitn
 

Ron Newman

Senior Member
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
8,395
Reaction score
0
The real work is moving the existing Commuter Rail tracks out of the way, and possibly rebuilding some bridges. The junction between the two branches is going to be interesting, too.
 

awood91

Active Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
243
Reaction score
0
I'm wicked excited about this because i live in Winchester. ill be able to bike for 10 minutes, get to a T stop and go basically where ever i want! its gonna be awesome!!! (in 10 years of course)
 

TheBostonian

Active Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
348
Reaction score
0
I wonder if it will open one station at a time or all at once. And I look forward to Union and Ball Squares becoming hip.
 

jass

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
4,495
Reaction score
24
And here I was thinking a 2011 OPENING would be late (after seeing the thread title).

However, someone please help me understand the project. based on what I understood, there will be two branches. The union square one will NOT use a tunnel? How is that possible?

And also, both branches will be trolleys? I remember trolleys to union and BRT to medford was being studied.

Any news on the platforms? Island or sides?



Also, what I think the MBTA needs to do to specify this branch is give it a new color. No F and G branch, instead, do something like Union Square-Heath Street = yellow line, and label it as such on the maps (and have yellow trains, or gold, or brown or w/e)
 

vanshnookenraggen

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
6,308
Reaction score
49
jass said:
Also, what I think the MBTA needs to do to specify this branch is give it a new color. No F and G branch, instead, do something like Union Square-Heath Street = yellow line, and label it as such on the maps (and have yellow trains, or gold, or brown or w/e)
Since this is an extention of the GREEN line changing color seems pretty dumb, no offence.

It will probably be something like D to West Medford and E to Union Sq.
Maybe even an A or F from Medford to Gov't Center.

And answering the no tunnel question, the branch to Union Sq will follow the Fitchburgh CR tracks so there is no need for a tunnel.

And also, both branches will be trolleys? I remember trolleys to union and BRT to medford was being studied.
Many options were studied but both branches will be light rail. I think residents of Somerville would flip their shit if BRT was ever seriously considered.
 

DowntownDave

Active Member
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
305
Reaction score
4
Won't it just be "E" with a different terminus? Perhaps "F" for Union square branch?
 

jass

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
4,495
Reaction score
24
vanshnookenraggen said:
jass said:
Also, what I think the MBTA needs to do to specify this branch is give it a new color. No F and G branch, instead, do something like Union Square-Heath Street = yellow line, and label it as such on the maps (and have yellow trains, or gold, or brown or w/e)
Since this is an extension of the GREEN line changing color seems pretty dumb, no offence.

It will probably be something like D to West Medford and E to Union Sq.
Maybe even an A or F from Medford to Gov't Center.
I dont see the MBTA wanting to run trains from Riverside to medford. Its more likely that D trains will terminate at Gvt Center, and Medford trains will terminate there as well.

Many other cities (like San Francisco) user color to differentiate lines, instead of letters (or both).

So I believe that:

B- Gvt-BC
C- North to CC
D- Gvt to Riverside
E- Heath to Union

Yellow - Medford to Gvt (Or Park)

The reason: People associate the letter branches with westbound trains. Having an F train go the other way = confusing.
 

vanshnookenraggen

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
6,308
Reaction score
49
jass said:
Many other cities (like San Francisco) user color to differentiate lines, instead of letters (or both).

The reason: People associate the letter branches with westbound trains. Having an F train go the other way = confusing.

The problem with that is we already have a color coded system so if you have 2 red lines it would be even more confusing.

I am willing to be that people only associate the letters with westbound trains because there is no service from the north (Lechmere, yes, but most people wouldn't think of Lechmere if you asked them about the Green Line).


Don't get me wrong, I do think that the Green Line needs a better system, and I do think that SF is a great example of how that would work. The only problem then is it wouldn't be the 'Green' Line.
 

jass

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
4,495
Reaction score
24
vanshnookenraggen said:
jass said:
Many other cities (like San Francisco) user color to differentiate lines, instead of letters (or both).

The reason: People associate the letter branches with westbound trains. Having an F train go the other way = confusing.

The problem with that is we already have a color coded system so if you have 2 red lines it would be even more confusing.

I am willing to be that people only associate the letters with westbound trains because there is no service from the north (Lechmere, yes, but most people wouldn't think of Lechmere if you asked them about the Green Line).


Don't get me wrong, I do think that the Green Line needs a better system, and I do think that SF is a great example of how that would work. The only problem then is it wouldn't be the 'Green' Line.
When did I say two red lines?

Im saying a totally new color. Yellow/aqua/brown whatever.

The only difference would be that the two colors share select stations, just like different branches share stations today.
 

TheBostonian

Active Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
348
Reaction score
0
I think the new color is a decent idea. DC has more than one "line" running on the same tracks. Look, for example, at their proposed Silver Line.

 

Waldorf

Active Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
536
Reaction score
0
Perhaps we can introduce a "One System, Two Lines" type of policy....like they do in China.
 

jass

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
4,495
Reaction score
24
Looking at that map, is it possible to extend the union square line further (say, 2120) or is there a wall in the way?


Also, the Washington DC map is exactly what I mean, although it would work better in Boston. The map posted is pretty confusing.

San Francisco is another example



My proposal would have the two colors sharing a line only for 5 stations though, Gvt, Hay, North, Science, Leachmere.

The reason I think the E branch would be ok to keep from heath to union is because it seperates itself at Copley, and follows a similar path as the b/c/d branches (in how a map looks).


The F branch for me would be something like the washington street line leaving Boylston.

I hope the MBTA doesnt screw up how they name the new branch/line
 

TheBostonian

Active Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
348
Reaction score
0
Someone here pointed out some problems sending the Green Line through Porter, such as the narrow, below-grade right of way with an upcoming air rights development. But I think that would be a great connection. From there it could go to Waverly Square in Belmont along the Fitchburg line or along the bike trail after Alewife.
 

Charlie_mta

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2006
Messages
1,434
Reaction score
23
That's an interesting concept. As a variation, how about extending the proposed Union Sq. Green Line branch out to Porter Sq on the Fitchburg RR line, but then head southwesterly along the Watertown Branch railroad, going by Fresh Pond and the Arsenal Mall to Watertown Square, using the Watertown Branch railroad right-of-way.

This would almost be like the Urban Ring, but just a bit farther out.
 

lexicon506

Active Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
487
Reaction score
4
Yah, having a lettered branch going the opposite direction as the others is confusing. I think that all of the branches should have some trains going all the way to West Medford, and some terminating at North Station. So that way, if you're in Somerville, you have direct access to all of the green line and if you're at Copley you have a choice of taking the "West Medford" "Union Square" or "North Station" train to get where you want.

Even better though, would be to create a completely different line, as was mentioned before. This could take over the Lechmere and Science Park green line stops, and then share the N.Station-Boylston stops on a separate track. At Boylston it could break off and take over the Silver Line Washington St. and continue on to that huge swath of Dorchester that is currently unserviced. This would both relieve green line congestion in the downtown area, and improve/expand service. But alas, the MBTA will probably choose the worst option possible....
 

Top