Green Line Streetcar extension to Hyde Square

^That's a 50' turn radius on the loop. What does the T design for these days?

^That's a 50' turn radius on the loop. What does the T design for these days?

Heath inner's well within tolerance. But that's not the point. Why are you taking such a large chunk of someone else's property to build a loop at all instead of just changing ends? The E runs to Union Sq. where an end change is required; there's zero additional headway penalty at Hyde for changing ends because Union already sets that ceiling at the other end of the line. Just make sure there's some sort of storage for a standby set when there's a hurry-up headway plugger to run as directed. You do not have anywhere near the space for storage with the loop setup despite all that wasteful eminent domain for train storage. The loop can't store OOS vehicles. An inner loop there replicating Heath 1:1 does absolutely nothing better for E capacity than today.

You could, however, fit a Blandford Yard with more trainset storage than Heath into a compact space only 35 ft. wide and 500 ft. long. And all that would take is maybe spreading S. Huntington bowlegged on the Bynner-Perkins block, taking a strip of grass in front of Angell to do the spreading, prohibiting left turns on/off Castleton St. crossing the yard, and reconfiguring the Angell driveway (which I assume they already have to do because of the station).

What possible benefit is there for the conceptual perfectionism of a loop adding a fair chunk of $$$ to the project cost in private property acquisition over an change-ends with pocket yard? None. I'd actually argue it's a far worse alternative than changing ends + pocket yard because there's so much more offline storage to be with that kind of ops practice switching in and out of the pocket.

Did anyone attend the meeting last Thursday (Sept 29) about this project? I ended up missing it by accident.

Was there any update in plans to be discussed at meeting? I wasn't aware this was happening. The extension makes a lot of sense, specifically with all the new development alone South Huntington.

Nary a Google hit on existence of the 9/29 meeting or documents therein, so...low-key affair?

Was there any update in plans to be discussed at meeting? I wasn't aware this was happening. The extension makes a lot of sense, specifically with all the new development alone South Huntington.

I work with the Arborway Committee. Unfortunately, the website, arborway.org, is down at the moment. We try to post most of the progress on the website. But, you can see some of the renderings, which I believe I have linked to on here before, via the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/arbcomm/).

The meeting was mostly to engage the community and see the support out there.

At the meeting Ken Tangvik, Director of Organizing and Engagement of the Hyde Square Task Force, give a presentation about "Boston's Latin Quarter". The Hyde Square Task Force has been very supportive of the Hyde Square extension.

After that Franklyn Salimbene, Chairman of the Board of the Arborway Committee for Public Transit, Inc., give a review of the plans and an update on progress with elected officials. He also took questions about how the preliminary designs would work.

Back