Green Line Type 9 sketchs/renderings.

Looks very sleek. Are these the replacement of the older fleet? Seems kind of quick since they only recently introduced the Breda.

If the Breda's are anything to go by, by the time this get funded, built and tested the current fleet will be quite old.

Looks very sleek. Are these the replacement of the older fleet? Seems kind of quick since they only recently introduced the Breda.
Considering it's part of the Green Line Extension project site, they would probably be new cars needed to support the additional line.

So, these new Green Line cars...Lower cost of ownership? More durable finishes? Optimized for our climate? Stay on the rails at speeds > 35 MPH? Able to take tight turns?

I really wish there was a way to make the entire car low-floor. The stairs at each end are really a nuisance, and much of the time people refuse to walk up them, crowding the center portion of the cars.

14 new cars for the extension.

And theyre garbage. They recycle the type 8 design, including all it's failures.

One could dream that all the interior surfaces would be made of copper dominant alloys (mmmm.... bronze), copper treated bamboo weave fabrics, non cellular bacterial shedding plastics, etc. to end the germ breeding grounds public transit vehicles are. But I doubt anyone is thinking that far in detail.

14 new cars for the extension.

And theyre garbage. They recycle the type 8 design, including all it's failures.

Isn't the extension scheduled to be done in 2014? I'm guessing we will be seeing these until at least then.

Looks like there's barely any seating.

^^From the diagrams, it seems to have the same amount as the Breda.

Cden4:

The issue there seems to be the wheels... they have the trucks and motors below floor level I think.

I agree that these will probably roll out around the same time as the Medford extension... and that we won't see them on the D branch for another twenty years or so (unless the D is being assigned to run the extension - I forget what the plan is at the moment).

Honestly, I like the Bredas better. Those look funky/practical, and are somewhat distinctive. These just look like something from Charlotte/Phoenix/Zurich (in what other context can you list those three cities together?)

Last edited:
^^ Source?

Id love to, but I dont remember what document its in. The fact that the documents are spread out all over the internet doesnt help....

greenlineextension.org/
http://www.eot.state.ma.us/
mbta.com
the new agency

etc etc

But trust me, 14 new cars for the extension (2014) and then a full order (either type 9 or type 10) for 2019 to replace the type 7s.

Back