Greenbush Commuter Rail Expansion

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Late concessions could add $18m to Greenbush cost

By Mac Daniel, Globe Staff | November 17, 2006

Seven months from opening, the long-fought Greenbush commuter rail line could cost an additional $18 million, in part because of changes to mollify community opponents.

A project official familiar with a recent risk assessment done by the MBTA said the T estimates the price tag could rise from $497 million now to between $512 million and $515 million, once lawsuits from landowners along the 18-mile line are settled.

"There's no way around the fact that even conservatively the project's cost will climb," said MBTA General Manager Daniel A. Grabauskas, who toured the line last week.

The T says the line would carry 8,400 riders per day, relieve congestion on Route 3 and the Southeast Expressway, and reduce air pollution. Residents in Hingham and other South Shore communities, however, vociferously opposed the Greenbush project and went to court to try to stop it.

The latest concession to communities is $2 million for black, cast-iron fencing, which the Army Corps of Engineers is requiring in historic districts in Hingham, Scituate, and Cohasset. In other stretches, black chain-link fencing is being installed, which costs $10 to $20 more per foot than standard fencing.

"The whole issue was litigated to a fare-thee-well," Alexander Macmillan, Greenbush coordinator for the town of Hingham, said yesterday. "Nothing lasts forever, and we assumed that maintenance might eventually be a problem, so the more solid the better. It's both a maintenance issue and historically appropriate."

Also, the project's conservator is requiring the MBTA to paint signal bungalows forest green, instead of their usual metallic silver, a request by locals to have the boxes better blend in with the suburban surroundings.

Those concessions are the latest in a string of costly items:

# T officials admit they "wasted" $300,000 for tunnels placed under the tracks to allow endangered spotted turtles to reach nearby pools. That species was taken off the endangered list midway through construction.

# In Cohasset, the town asked that parking spaces at the station be made wider to accommodate larger sport utility vehicles. T officials said they were able to accommodate the town without increasing costs.

# In 2004, after much resistance, the MBTA agreed to use four-arm barriers at some of the street crossings, which cost an additional $2 million.

Town officials say the gates are necessary because train horns were ordered silenced to appease neighbors. Unlike typical crossing gates, which block two lanes of traffic, these gates extend across the entire road at all four corners of the railroad intersections.

T officials also said that they seriously considered a woman's request to have the T pay for Prozac for her dog, who she said would be traumatized by the train noise. The woman's claim was eventually denied.

There were also 18 legal challenges to the line, all of which were won by the T but cost the agency "hundreds of thousands of dollars" in legal fees.

"No question that this project could have come in tens of millions of dollars less if dilatory legal challenges and unnecessary spending" had been cut back, Grabauskas said.

The project's price jumped from $479 million to $497 million in 2005, mostly to pay the contractor after the T put construction of the line on hold for two years due to rising expenses. The recent purchase of a $4 million insurance policy nearly depleted the project's emergency fund. Greenbush was originally budgeted at $215 million in 1994.

About 15 of the line's 20 miles of track, which includes 2 miles in train yards, are complete, as are 22 of 28 grade crossings and 17 of 18 bridges. The shallow cut at Weymouth Landing is about 90 percent complete.

And the $30 million Hingham underpass is 95 percent complete, with its rail expected to be laid out in the coming weeks. The tunnel will take trains under picturesque Hingham Square, shielding the pricey shops from the rumble of locomotives.

Ombudsmen for communities along the line are beginning to get more questions about ticket prices than complaints about construction.

"I'm beginning to see the questions come to me of when the trains are running," said Al Bangert, Greenbush ombudsman for Scituate. "It's moving on now from what can we do to stop the trains. There's a willingness to accept the fact that the T is coming."

Even with the prospect of future cost overruns, Grabauskas, standing at the expansive Greenbush station at the terminus of the line, was gleeful.

"There are a lot of government services that people would like to eliminate, but what we've seen time and again is that people clamor for public transportation," he said.

"Greenbush is going to do what it was intended to do, which is alleviate congestion on the South Shore."

Mac Daniel can be reached at mdaniel@globe.com.

? Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

Hingham, Cohassat and Situate all SUCK!!! The state and MBTA were way too nice to these towns which ended up costing millions to placate the unsatisfied, never to be satisfied townspeople of those towns. I sure hope the property taxes in each of those towns went up due to the legal fees that they paid over the years to stop this project.

Look man, there is nothing more important than building that tunnel under Hingham Square. The tunnel will save thousands of lives and provide text books to school children.

Greenbush line marks a milestone
By Mac Daniel, Globe Staff

BRAINTREE -- MBTA and state officials drove ceremonial golden spikes this morning to mark the completion of construction on the T's 13th line, the much-debated Greenbush commuter rail line.

Bernard Cohen, the state transportation secretary; Daniel A. Grabauskas, general manager of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority; and Lieutenant Governor Timothy Murray did the honors. Two T trains met at the piece of track.

Now, the T will start testing trains and training crews. When the trains start running by summer, the 18-mile line will carry about 8,400 riders a day, helping ease traffic on Route 3 and the Southeast Expressway.

Some residents in Hingham and other South Shore communities opposed the project. The T is spending an estimated $18 million on changes designed to mollify opponents. The final price tag is projected at about $508 million.

I can't do the math

I can't do the math.

So, the T spent a certain amount of money on the Greenbush line. There is a certain number of miles of track laid. There will be a certain number of riders, every day.

Is there a typical return on investment, or whatever, to say whether or not this is a "success"?

I ask, because I want to know if other projects in MA and in the country seem to be "worth the money".

For example, replacing the Silver Line. Or, putting tracks back on the Arborway.

These projects seem to be wastes of money now but any major investment in train transportation or rapid transit, I think, is money well spent considering that gas prices will only be going up. The problems will be when these towns oppose the denser development that will follow.

There are a number of ways to evaluate a transit investment. Capital cost per new transit rider is one way--my guess is that Greenbush fares poorly by this measure, both because 8,400 is not a lot of riders to begin with, and many of them may be converts from either the Hingham and Hull ferries or park and ride facilities at Braintree/Quincy Adams. This measure has a tendency to overvalue suburban service (since most users of urban projects like the Urban Ring or Arborway are likely already transit riders), so the Federal Transit Administration has started to create new measures to quantify travel time savings for all users of a new project.

Once a project is in service, the fare recovery ratio is used to measure how much of a facility's operating costs is recouped through fare collection. In the US, only NYC approaches 50%, the MBTA is usually around 25% and in most other places its lower than that. My guess is that Greenbush (like most commuter rail lines) will fare poorly here, due to the high cost of providing midday and late night service with minimal ridership (versus the subway and most bus service where the peaks are flatter).

While the core of the subway system is in a state of collapse, spending $500M to provide service to affluent, obstructionist suburban communities, where residents would prefer to sit in traffic in their Range Rovers to any mode of public transportation, is miles beyond stupid...

In the grand and storied history of bad ideas, Greenbush ranks up there with Caddyshack 2...

I think extending the Red Line to Weymouth and building a commuter bike path like the Minuteman Path in Arlington would have been a better use for a half billion. But then that wasn't the original price and hindsight is 20/20.

I don't see why this is any different from the Rockport Line which serves an equivalent area of the North Shore. Would you shut that down? If it had been shut down in 1959, would you disfavor reviving it now?

Ron Newman said:
I don't see why this is any different from the Rockport Line which serves an equivalent area of the North Shore. Would you shut that down? If it had been shut down in 1959, would you disfavor reviving it now?

Given the disgraceful state of the T's current subway infrastructure (stations, vehicles, signals, vertical transportation, PA system, etc) I'd have to say no to reviving any of the "legacy" commuter lines...

The value of moving 8500 white-collar riders daily is far less than $500M...Not when there's piss-poor service for lower income riders in Roxbury, Dorchester, and East Boston...They spent $126M on a tunnel under Hingham -- that's 4 new subway stations...

I wouldnt be so harsh.

When the project was planned, nobody knew it was going to cost 500 million. if they did, it never would have happened.

The initial cost analysis showed that the price was right for the service, If the initial plan called for 500 million, it would have been shelved on day one.

Id bet a large amount of money that the green line extention will go over budget, and people will complain its not worth it.

Would I have rather seen the Fairmount line converted to proper heavy rail to serve the lower income areas of Boston? Yes, definitely. But I'm still never going to complain when a project results in more public rail transit for Greater Boston. That's always a good thing.

That said, I would have a problem if the next MBTA project is a maglev line to Weston.

I don't see why this is any different from the Rockport Line which serves an equivalent area of the North Shore.

I'm all for more transit service everywhere in a world of unlimited funding for such projects. But one of my problems with the Greenbush line is that its nothing like the Rockport line. The South Shore is much less dense than the North Shore to begin with. And the combination of village "preservationists" and the reality of how most people access commuter rail (by auto) has resulted in a series of park and ride stations surrounded by parking lots on the Greenbush Line. On the Rockport Line, there are 6 stations set in neighborhoods of either urban or almost-urban density, and the remaining stations are all located within village centers. On Greenbush, you can really only say that about the two Weymouth stops.

The Globe said:
Resident is stuck in the middle
Rail line blocks former driveway

By Peter J. Howe, Globe Staff | October 23, 2007

COHASSET - When the Greenbush commuter rail line opens late this month, it will mean a new way to get home for an estimated 4,000 people along the South Shore.

But for Rose Collins, it could mean never getting home again, thanks to a bureaucratic nightmare that has left her without a legal driveway in and out of her house on the Cohasset-Scituate line.

The 20-year, $513 million Greenbush project has become legendary for the concessions MBTA officials have made to placate neighbors upset about the return of the trains, including deluxe wrought-iron fencing, "critter crossings" under the tracks for wildlife, and a $30 million tunnel through Hingham Square. But Collins, who has been a second-grade teacher in Cohasset for more than 30 years, is one person living along the Greenbush line who has not been helped by the T, officials in the two towns, or state legislators who have taken up her cause.

Two years ago, Collins's old driveway to South Main Street was bisected, Jersey-barriered, and fenced off when construction crews restored the Greenbush tracks. Meaning to help her, MBTA contractors built Collins a new stretch of driveway on the other side of her lot, connecting to a lane in Scituate. The T hired a local lawyer to handle the details for Collins.

That is where the trouble began. T officials maintain that Collins's old driveway, the one they shut off, was never legal to begin with. But the new one they built her is illegal twice over, local officials say.

The Scituate lane to which the new Collins driveway connects is already shared by three residences. Scituate zoning laws ban adding a fourth without a a zoning variance. But the Scituate neighbors' common driveway required buying an easement right to cross land owned by neighbors just over the town line in Cohasset. Those Cohasset neighbors have not agreed to let Collins use their land, citing Scituate zoning. Without the easement, no variance; without the variance, no easement.

Collins has no idea how long she can keep driving in and out of her property before facing legal action. Unless the situation is resolved, lawyers say, she fears she and her former husband, Peter, can never sell the house, a shingled Cape with a glassed-in porch and red-door barn assessed at $754,400.

Collins's nightmare does not end there. While all the houses involved are less than 200 yards apart, Cohasset and Scituate are in two different counties, Norfolk and Plymouth. Unsnarling the fiasco requires trips to the registries of deeds in Dedham and Plymouth, 40 miles apart.

And now the T is refusing to do anything more to help.

"If you look at it from a legal standpoint, it's an amazing Catch-22," says Peter Flynn, a Saugus real estate lawyer who has been working with Collins and says he can think of few messier cases he has dealt with in nearly 40 years practicing land law. "It's a quagmire."

Collins declined requests sent through her lawyers for an interview, and friends say she is distraught over the mess.

MBTA officials say they have already gone to extraordinary lengths to try to rescue the Collins family from a legal disaster they created in the first place.

"It is not a T matter," said spokesman Joe Pesaturo. "This was a case of trespassing for years. Now she has to identify a legal way of entering and exiting her property with town officials and her neighbors."

MBTA lawyers researching deeds said the Collinses never had the legal right with their old driveway to cross over the Greenbush branch, which last saw passenger trains in 1959 and was abandoned and then taken over by the town and, in the early 2000s, by the T. Several years ago the Collins family sold land on the west side of their lot that became a subdivision of $1 million houses on Ledgewood Farm Drive, effectively boxing themselves in, T lawyers contended.

With the Greenbush price tag already over the half-billion-dollar mark, some local officials think the T might feel pressure to avoid shelling out several hundred thousand dollars more to resolve the Collinses' plight.

Tom Gruber, a Cohasset engineer who serves as the town's representative to the Greenbush project, said one way the T could resolve the issue would be to use its eminent-domain authority to seize either a sliver of Cohasset land for Collins to use as a driveway or force neighbors to sell her an easement on the existing driveway and then negotiate the Scituate variance to make it fully legal.

"The MBTA complicated a situation, attempted to resolve it, and then walked away," said state Senator Robert L. Hedlund, a Weymouth Republican who has tried repeatedly to broker meetings to resolve the situation.

Jackie Collari, one of Collins's neighbors on the driveway Collins now uses, agreed.

"The T basically decided to walk away from it and leave her stranded," Collari said. "They truly cut her off from the town of Cohasset."

Collari, who with her husband, Robert, has compiled a 5-inch-thick folder of maps and correspondence relating to the saga, said neighbors are eager to help Collins out of her predicament, but want to be sure there is clear legal paperwork that does not put any cloud over their houses and driveway when the time comes to sell.

"I love Rose; she's great," said Collari. "We have no problem with her using the driveway. We just want it all done right by the lawyers."

Peter J. Howe can be reached at howe@globe.com.
Link
1193134294_1420.gif

Is it wrong that I find this hilarious?

If the Greenbush line has 8000 riders a day and each rider's fare pays $1 to cover the costs of building the line it will take 62,500 days to pay the cost of the line, that's equal to 171 years. It's hard to imagine any argument that justifies the cost of the line.

Not with that math! The cost will be from $1.70 - $7.75 and it will both ways.

Yeah, but thats also 8000 cars no longer heading into Boston, which is fine by me.

The true cost of this project is the utter collapse of the infrastructure and service on the four subway lines. Building Greenbush is the result of the T and our elected officials not being able to differentiate between "can" and "should."

Not with that math! The cost will be from $1.70 - $7.75 and it will both ways.

Thing is, probably none of the fare goes toward the cost of the line. It all comes from taxes. I'm all for mass transit, but I would prefer a much more intelligent approach. Commuter lines like this serve distant suburbs with exceptionally cheap fares per mile while the densest parts of the routes are far more expensive per mile. It would have made far more sense to build out the green line, connect the blue and red lines or make progress with the circumferential subway line than build far flung commuter rail. There are plenty of roads out there, give them the silver line BRT.

Back