Greenbush Commuter Rail Expansion

Hingham, Cohassat and Situate all SUCK!!! The state and MBTA were way too nice to these towns which ended up costing millions to placate the unsatisfied, never to be satisfied townspeople of those towns. I sure hope the property taxes in each of those towns went up due to the legal fees that they paid over the years to stop this project.

The towns are spelled Cohasset and Scituate (my home town). These towns don't suck at all. You have to remember, these are small, upper-middle class/wealthy towns. People are going to be asking for a lot of extras to be thrown in with the construction of a major, major transportation addition like this. Scituate and Cohasset don't even have highway connections. People here like to view the towns as quiet oases (spelling?) which benefit from the relative proximity to Boston, but without the feeling of being close to the city.

I live very close to where the tracks are, and for the small amount of time that I've heard the train (I go to school in South Carolina), I've been extremely impressed by how quiet the train is.

It seems that many people don't think that the Commuter Rail will get much business. From what I've seen around town, the talk about the rail has been nothing but positive, and I'm sure that more than enough people will be using the service. I will admit that it definitely went wayyy too far over budget, but that seems to be a recurring trend for our area (Big Dig).

Boston Globe said:
New Greenbush line taking time to catch on
Many quit commuter boat, not car, to ride the rails

By Noah Bierman, Globe Staff | January 29, 2008

Buy a ticket for the new $513 million commuter train line and take a seat. Better yet, take two seats. Lie down on a row of three if you want. There is plenty of room.

Some commuters have been giving the train from Greenbush Station in Scituate to Boston a try, but the line has yet to catch on as a top commuting option to Boston.

More troubling: A third of the riders in the first two months were former passengers on the Hingham commuter boat, which would seem contrary to one of the train's primary goals, relieving highway congestion from the South Shore.

The MBTA counted an average of 1,368 daily round-trip riders for the Greenbush rail line in December, a steady increase from the 893 customers on its first morning, Oct. 31. The line was projected to attract about 4,300 daily commuters within three to five years of opening, but the T says it never estimated how many riders the line would attract before that.

During one recent 5:45 p.m. train ride out of South Station, there were not enough passengers to fill all six train cars. Conductors kept two closed so they would not have to monitor sparsely-occupied cars. Just 10 passengers rode on one car that was open.

MBTA and other state transportation managers say it will take at least a year to judge the effectiveness of the line. They caution against drawing strong conclusions before 2010.

"You have an immediate market of early adaptors" with most new rail lines, said Bernard Cohen, the state transportation secretary. Others catch on later because of frustration with gas prices, traffic, or other issues, he said.

Still, early signs suggest the train is not taking many cars off the road.

"It's all the boat people," said Connie Swift, a Scituate resident who switched from the boat and now rides the train five days a week from Greenbush, which is just 2 miles from her home. "We had a 45-minute drive to Hingham, so this is very accommodating."

Both the boat and the train are run by private contractors for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority as part of the state's extensive mass transit web. In other words, the state is competing with itself.

Governor Deval Patrick has made further expansion of commuter rail a transportation priority. He has contended that the economic benefits of bringing commuter service to Fall River and New Bedford by 2016 would justify the estimated $1.4 billion expense. Cohen said the Fall River-New Bedford project is unusual in that early planning efforts are focused as much on economic development and community planning as environmental factors.

Greenbush is the first commuter rail line to open in a decade and even early commuting trends could prove instructive in the Fall River-New Bedford debate.

Before the Greenbush opened, the Hingham boat had been gaining passengers. But as train traffic grew in December, the Hingham boat drew 432 fewer round-trip passengers than it did in December 2006, when 1,396 commuters took the boat.

The MBTA's data show that combined, the boat and the train drew 936 new passengers to public transportation in December. The numbers were similar in November.

Some of the old faces are no longer riding the boat, said Mark Nolan, dock manager for the boat at Rowes Warf. "It's noticeable." (The commuter boat is one of three services run by Boston Harbor Cruises and subsidized by the MBTA.)

On boats and train cars, the competition has initiated a friendly rivalry among the passengers who have gotten to know each other over the years.

"People who take the train are traitors," joked Beth Harrington, a paralegal from Marshfield who was sipping a glass of red wine by the bar on the boat and reading a newspaper during a recent evening commute.

The boat offers an afternoon happy hour and, in the morning, coffee and pastries. Those amenities, combined with a wide-open layout, create a more social experience on the boat.

The train, on the other hand, stops closer to many people's homes and allows riders a shorter walk, an especially attractive feature during lousy weather. The Hingham Shipyard lies next to a large parking lot and the walk can be long for latecomers.

On the train, "you don't get soaking-wet walking from the parking lot," said Jeffery Ritz, a Cohasset commuter who switched from the boat on an especially rainy morning and never went back.

Ellen Hoadley of Norwell said that on her first day on the train she felt as though she had a private coach. She rode the Kingston line before that, but likes the ease of parking at the emptier Greenbush lots. "Once people ride it, they like it," she said.

The cost of the boat and the train are comparable: from Hingham, the train costs $7.25 with parking per trip; the boat costs $7 with parking. Both offer discounts with weekly and monthly passes.

The train is drawing new passengers at about the same rate as the other two legs of what is known as the Old Colony route - the Plymouth and Middleborough lines - when they opened in 1998, according to MBTA statistics. Those two lines now draw a combined 5,700 daily riders.

The difference in those communities: They were attracting commuters new to public transportation instead of existing transit riders.

While acknowledging that the boat presents a new wrinkle, MBTA managers say it is premature to start looking for trends.

Robert DiAdamo, deputy general manager of the MBTA, said it takes time for commuters to alter their routines, and new railroads are built with a long view toward the future. As developers move in to take advantage of the transit link, more riders will move in and the economy will benefit, he said.

"These are long-term substantial benefits to the Commonwealth. They are truly generational," DiAdamo said.

In the short term, switching from the boat to the train relieves the traffic from people driving to Hingham from other South Shore communities, DiAdamo said.

One sign of encouragement for Greenbush backers is that riders are increasingly loyal. Keith Wilson, a salesman from Marshfield, said he sees more people joining him every day. He has driven to work a few times, but has not seen the reduction in traffic yet.

"I drive an SUV," he said. "It's nice to retire that for a while."

Noah Bierman can be reached at nbierman@globe.com.
1201614822_0148.jpg
Link

Ridership will increase on this, there's no question, but i'm still surprised that more people aren't eagerly trying to avoid using route 3 by any means possible. I have driven most of the area highways during rush hour (with the only exception being route 3 North of the city) and have to say that I find route 3 on the South Shore to be worse than any of the other roads which is why I thought this line would see instant success.

Theres still an increase, and I think that will continue. Possibly as weather warms up, people will give it a shot. When its 20 degrees, I think people prefer their hot SUV to waiting in a cold platform for a train. As temps get warmer, people might be more open to standing on a platform for a test, and then become frequent riders.

The last big commuter rail extension was to Newburyport. How long did it take before people started using that in significant numbers?

When its 20 degrees, I think people prefer their hot SUV to waiting in a cold platform for a train. As temps get warmer, people might be more open to standing on a platform for a test, and then become frequent riders.

Interesting. This could also be a long term/permanent habit for all commuter rail lines...I wonder if there's any data on seasonal use?

Interesting. This could also be a long term/permanent habit for all commuter rail lines...I wonder if there's any data on seasonal use?

To take this one further, i wonder what the benefits (if any, of course) of having an enclosed platform would be to ridership in the winter months (assuming there is a correlation to temperature and ridership).

Transit ridership tends to be higher in the winter than in the summer, due to the greater proportion of the workforce on vacation during any given week in the summer. Not sure what the commuter rail numbers would show if you took a non school vacation, non holiday week in May and compared it with a comparable one in February, but I think the urban rapid transit numbers are higher in colder months/inclement weather as people use the subway or bus for short trips that otherwise would have been made on foot.

Perhaps there aren't dedicated "Greenbush Line" trainsets, but maybe the MBCR should consider reducing the cars used on this line (for the time being) and put them on busier trains?

Yet another MBTA project management success story:

The Boston Herald said:
MBTA must replace 3-year-old bridge on Greenbush line
By Associated Press

BOSTON - The MBTA is being forced to spend more than $5 million to tear down and rebuild a 3-year old bridge on the Greenbush commuter rail line, further driving up the cost of the half billion dollar project.

Jim Eng, project manager for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, says the original bridge in Scituate does not meet state and federal environmental requirements because it could make flooding in the area worse during powerful storms.

The MBTA?s board approved the new bridge during Thursday?s monthly meeting. The Greenbush project is now budgeted at $532 million.

The South Shore rail line reopened last year after a nearly 50-year hiatus.

The MBTA board also approved a three-year, $738 million contract extension with the Massachusetts Bay Railroad Co. the private consortium that runs commuter rail. The contract increase penalties for late trains.

Link

Is this a bridge on the line or a bridge over the line? Will they have to stop service in order to fix it?

In scituate I doubt there's any bridges that cross over the rail. Its almost definately the railbridge itself

TOWN OF SCITUATE MASSACHUSETTS

CONSTRUCTION UPDATE:

The Boston Globe erroneously reported on Friday, the 6th, that the MBTA was going to replace a Scituate bridge they built three years ago. This piece of incorrect information has caused significant confusion in Town.

FACTS: The bridge that is being replaced is the one on Country Way over Bound Brook, just north of Wilder Brothers Auto Service in North Scituate. This bridge was built in the mid-1800's. The Globe reporter was somehow confused that the MBTA built a railroad bridge near the North Scituate station platform three years ago and is now replacing the street bridge on Country Way.

The article in Saturday's Patriot Ledger is accurate.

TIMELINE: Country Way will remain open until June 23rd. Through the summer, traffic will be detoured via Beechwood Street and Henry Turner Bailey Road, which will be reopened before Country Way is closed. Construction crews will generally be working from 7AM to 11PM, Monday through Saturday. Access to all residences and businesses will be maintained.

Patriot Ledger

SCITUATE ? MBTA contractors will begin work later this month on a $5.2 million project that will remove and replace a 19th-century bridge over Bound Brook in North Scituate.

The two-lane bridge on Country Way is the second span over Bound Brook to be replaced by the T as part of its Greenbush commuter rail project. In 2005, the T rebuilt an old railroad bridge about 100 yards upstream, next to North Scituate Station.

The new bridge project, to be carried out by Jay Cashman Inc. and Balfour Beatty Construction Inc., was approved Thursday by the MBTA board of directors.

Al Bangert, Scituate?s former Greenbush ombudsman, said the bridge will be removed starting on June 23.

Bangert said T officials focused on getting Greenbush trains up and running until Oct. 31, the day the line reopened with much fanfare.

Now the T is completing the remaining elements of the Greenbush project. Several road projects in Scituate are among those, including a reshaping of the intersection between Henry Turner Bailey Road and Route 3A, Bangert said. That construction will be finished before work on the Country Way bridge begins, Bangert said.

The T did not return calls for comment Friday.

Bangert said the Army Corps of Engineers, FEMA and the Department of Environmental Protection required the T to replace the Country Way bridge to mitigate changes made upstream by the construction of the new railroad bridge.

In addition, the Country Way project could not begin this year until herring were no longer running in the brook, Bangert said.

The Country Way bridge is constructed of rough granite blocks. That granite almost certainly came from Quincy, said Doug Smith, chairman of the Scituate Historical Commission.

Smith said the bridge was engineered and constructed in the mid-19th century by Gridley Bryant, president of the Granite Railway Co.

The first commercial railroad, the Granite Railway Incline, transported granite from the West Quincy quarries to the Neponset River.

In addition. There is at least one bridge OVER the tracks near the Greenbush station. It's on Stockbridge Road and is a good viewing area of the layover facility at Greenbush in Scituate.

Back