Greendale Redevelopment Initiative - Saint-Gobain Site | Worcester

cubalibre

Reaction score
Saint-Gobain gifted the Worcester Business Development Corporation 55 acres of industrial land in the Greendale neighborhood for redevelopment (and cleanup..).

A good amount of industrial building stock has already been torn down, here is a blog with monthly updates:

While it likely will be many years until anything new is built here, I wanted to head up there and capture some of it before it’s all gone.

IMG_5659.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_2457.jpeg

Fantastic photos! How large is Saint Gobain's overall presence in Worcester still? In terms of headcount and acreage?

I believe that the Abby Kelly Foster Middle School building at 10 New Bond street may have once been the Heald Machine Co. It made grinding machines and was eventually bought by Cincinnati Milacron in 1974. It was closed in 1992. I toured this facility in the mid 1980's when a student at WPI. It was basically surrounded by the Norton Company on all sides. Both Heald and Norton had many ties to WPI with some members of the families that founded both being alumni.

Fantastic photos! How large is Saint Gobain's overall presence in Worcester still? In terms of headcount and acreage?
Maybe around 1,500 employees or less. They retain more than what they “donated”, so I’d say ~60+ acres

Back