7. Middlesex Superior Court Building

8. Park Lane Apartments

9. Four Seasons Hotel

10. 1-3 Center Plaza

O'Neil Building
Middlesex Superior Court Building
Congress Street Garage

in that order.

I voted once before realizing I was allowed to vote three times. How can I change my vote (or add two more) ?

Tip O'Neill Building is misspelled in the poll. Shouldn't we get it right if we're going to condemn it?

Mod ?

/\ Fixed. My mistake.

Tip O'Neill Building is misspelled in the poll. Shouldn't we get it right if we're going to condemn it?

Mod ?

If you PM or email me your vote, I will add them to the tally.

For maximum impact in this category, we should select shameful buildings that actually stand a chance of being replaced. Because they occupy land that could be more profitably used in other ways, both Midtown Hotel and Methunion Manor fit this criterion, while the O'Neill Building won't be replaced for decades. Congress Street Garage: people are already working on replacing this one, so it needs less of a shove from us.

These 3:

Congress Street Garage

Tip O'Neill Federal Building

Midtown Hotel

Tip, Beacon, Middlesex Court House in that order. If the Tip doesn't win by a landslide, I'll be seriously second guessing all of you. If you were sitting in a classroom trying to think of all of the worst mistakes you could make in designing an urban building, you couldn't find a better example for all of them than the Tip.

For me it was:

1. The Tip
2. Methunion Manor
3. Park Lane

I seriously debated whether number three should go to Park Lane or the Midtown, but what saved the Midtown was the fact that it provides a much-needed service in the heart of the city, whereas Park Lane's cause is a bit less noble.

The Middlesex Court House is scorn-worthy, but a) those red panels up top and b) the sheer exposure its location affords it leaves me to view it like a pathetic, yet somewhat funny joke.

Could someone please tell me how to add two more votes, since I originally voted for only one?

If you were sitting in a classroom trying to think of all of the worst mistakes you could make in designing an urban building, you couldn't find a better example for all of them than the Tip.

Then shouldn't Fenway Center be winning "worst new proposal"? The non-tower portions look pretty Tip-like.

Speaking of the building's name: was it intentionally ironic to name this indifferent federal government fortress after the man who famously proclaimed that all politics were local?

For me, the choices were easily laid out... 1, 2, and 3 (in that order too).

Back