Hancock Plaza: the future Glass Garden

stellarfun

Reaction score
Why do I think of Pei's Glass Pyramid entrance to the Louvre?

Glass haven envisioned for barren Hancock plaza By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff | January 24, 2008

Owners of the sleek Hancock Tower in the Back Bay want to create a glass-enclosed public square on the windswept and forbidding half-acre plaza at its front doors on Clarendon Street, turning the trophy property's biggest drawback into a public asset.

Broadway Partners Fund Manager LLC, of New York, which bought the 60-floor Hancock about a year ago, hopes to create a "winter garden" - a grand public meeting space with landscaping and seating - on a desolate plaza now largely ruled by gusts of wind.

"We have a barren, unusable plaza," said Alan G. Rubenstein, director of asset management for Broadway Partners. "This is a way to reclaim that space."

Below street level, on a vast block-square concourse, the owners propose to build a restaurant and retail complex.

The 25,000-square-foot floor below ground is now used for storage space and an enormous cafeteria, a place once dubbed "the sleeping area" because employees in the John Hancock era would relax there.

The tower occupies the block bounded by Clarendon Street, St. James Avenue, Trinity Place, and Stuart Street.

The company does not yet have a price tag for the project, but construction would cost millions of dollars. The plans will need approval from the Boston Redevelopment Authority, and any new restaurant that wants to serve alcohol would need a liquor license.

The new enclosure would shield visitors from winds in the area that are sometimes fierce. The space would be heated in winter and air conditioned in summer.

Glass walls and a roof would enclose about 12,000 square feet in front of the building, a little more than half of the current open space, which now has heavy planters along the edges that double as defenses against terrorist attacks on the building. With security a continuing consideration, the reconfigured plaza would have to incorporate new defenses.

In a preliminary design, the ground-level seating area includes a small bar, for drinks or coffee. Stairways at two wide openings lead to the restaurant and retail space below. The circular openings, forming twin atriums about 50 feet in diameter, would let light into the lower level.

A redeveloped plaza could materialize within two years. Broadway Partners hopes to have the design firmed up in about a month and present its plans to the city in two months. Construction could take 12 to 18 months.

Broadway Partners has hired Boston architect Howard Elkus of Elkus | Manfredi Architects to design the addition. The company is beginning to show conceptual images - inspired by spaces such as an atrium at the IBM Building and the Apple Store at the General Motors Building, both in New York - to neighbors, to get their reactions.

"It's a really good idea," said Meg Mainzer-Cohen, president of the Back Bay Association, who was briefed on the plans yesterday. "The possibilities are very exciting, not just for the John Hancock but for Copley Square."

"What you see when you walk by there today is women with their hair standing on end, and umbrellas uprooted," she said. "It's a very important commitment to improve that area."

Broadway Partners is scheduled to meet today with representatives of Trinity Church, which is across St. James Avenue on Copley Square.

Whatever its final shape, the one-story glass structure will be designed so that visual corridors are maintained, Rubenstein said. "If you're standing on Stuart Street, you could still see Trinity Church."

Rubenstein said Broadway Partners is studying the market for a restaurant and retail shops to be located on the below-ground level, which has 16-foot ceilings.

"We're looking for the economics of a restaurant or retail to support the cost" of doing the project, he said.

A second underground floor currently has one of the largest kitchens in the city and formerly served many of the 7,000 John Hancock Financial Services employees who used to work in the tower and in nearby buildings, some of whom have been relocated. Hancock, now part of Manulife Financial Corp., still leases some space in the tower, which it once owned.

By eliminating the cafeteria, the kitchen area would be available for "back of house" space for a commercial restaurant or for a retail establishment.
Rubenstein said Broadway Partners is looking for a high-quality "white-tablecloth" restaurant. The company bought the Hancock Tower, designed by the firm of I.M. Pei, from Boston-based Beacon Capital Partners LLP in December 2006, for about $1.3 billion.

Though a preeminent example of modern architecture, the Hancock had its problems after it opened in the mid-1970s. Not only did the mirrored-glass windows come crashing to the ground, but the building itself required structural reinforcing.

Boston has had some notable failures among public and privately owned open spaces, including Copley Square, which went through multiple configurations before its current design, and City Hall Plaza.

Unlike the acclaimed Post Office Square Park downtown, City Hall Plaza, for example, has not found a layout or a use that has clicked with either the public or critics. While not as large, the Hancock plaza has long been considered wasted territory - to be avoided in winter, especially, because of the wind.

"The notion of retrofitting public spaces and correcting deficiencies and making them more suitable for climate and new kinds of use is a very important activity in cities," said Ken Greenberg, an urban planner with Greenberg Consultants Ltd. in Toronto. "Frequently we don't get those spaces right the first time."

The new plaza, when complete, would be another change in a neighborhood that had been much the same for decades - but that may soon be harder to recognize.

The YWCA has redeveloped its building across Stuart Street, and The Beal Cos. LLP has torn down the old Postal Service building to construct The Clarendon, a 32-floor residential complex, on Clarendon near the Hancock.

And work began late last year on the $800 million Columbus Center mixed-use development, which is being built nearby, above the Massachusetts Turnpike.
http://www.boston.com/realestate/ne...ss_haven_envisioned_for_barren_hancock_plaza/

Last edited:
Man, I've got to check my negativity... why do I think this will only serve to act like lobby space for the Hancock? I suppose if it is done right it could be a nice spot for white yuppies in the neighboring offices to get lunch Monday through Friday, but I have a sense that the ultimate design will deter the public from going in, particularly given heightened building security since 9/11.

This sounds similar to the u/c Plaza cafe at Comcast Center in Philly.

You have to love public relations!!!! I love this project, think it's great.... but come on... extending the Hancock's lobby/atrium to take up the whole block will not do anything about the wind in the area or make that block more inviting to passerby/pedestrians. So they'll have a white-tablecloth Morton's style steakhouse, blocked off by a glass wall... they say the area is full of wind, they do not say this will help at all, they just use this negative point to plant the seeds of acceptance in the subject's mind.

I like the project a lot, think it's great, but it is what it is - an extension of the lobby/atrium of the Hancock. Hopefully a really cool one!

nice!! It is really windy there and I hope the new atrium has plenty of accessible doors so I can walk thru it in the winter to stay warm lol. a couple good lunch places wouldnt hurt either. I hope they update the entrance on the clarendon st side because its looking a little outdated and cheesy.

The city should stipulate that the owners of the tower re-open the observation deck in order to allow the project to move forward. And get it in writing with mutiple copies, this time.

Why didn't they just get Pei Cobb Freed to work on this?

Would Pei or Cobb deign to work in Boston anymore? The Christian Science Plaza and maybe even the Hancock would never be possible today...I can't see architects like these willing to sit through endless Back Bay Neighborhood Association meetings while 70 year old women complain vaguely about wind and traffic. If I were a starchitect I'm not sure I could bear to deal with those kinds of processes while there are endless carte blanche opportunities to grab in China and Dubai.

I hope they update the entrance on the clarendon st side because its looking a little outdated and cheesy.

Mixed emotions. On one hand I agree that it's a bit cheesy, but at the same time it's completely of its period, and I like the (now retro-) futurism of those blue panels and chrome doors.

Would Pei or Cobb deign to work in Boston anymore? The Christian Science Plaza and maybe even the Hancock would never be possible today...I can't see architects like these willing to sit through endless Back Bay Neighborhood Association meetings while 70 year old women complain vaguely about wind and traffic. If I were a starchitect I'm not sure I could bear to deal with those kinds of processes while there are endless carte blanche opportunities to grab in China and Dubai.

On the other hand, Boston is more of a challenge than Dubai or Hong Kong. Sure, they'll have total freedom but their contribution to a city like that will be in the shadows within a few years when a larger, more ornate tower tops it. On the other hand, Boston is a city where the legacy of the work lives on much longer (Pei's Hancock being a prime example). Any great work faces an uphill battle... the adversity that had to be overcome just adds to the legacy the building in the long run. That being said, it's unrealistic that these "starchitects" would want to put up with any more NIMBY idiocy.

The city should stipulate that the owners of the tower re-open the observation deck in order to allow the project to move forward. And get it in writing with mutiple copies, this time.

Too late, I believe it's already been converted to office space. Besides, do we really need another one three blocks from the Pru. Having one in the financial district would be far more appropriate and even then such a thing should never be a stipulation to further growth in our city.

Last edited:

We should have a large group show up at the public hearing and press for the deck to be re-opened.

Pei is involved in North Point Cambridge.

Huh? PCF just did two buildings in Cambridge recently, and I'm pretty sure the development backlash there is just as bad, if not worse, than Back Bay (especially with Harvard expansion). Besides, how involved would the lead architects be regarding NIMBY concerns?

We should have a large group show up at the public hearing and press for the deck to be re-opened.

Pei is involved in North Point Cambridge.
Yeah, and there it's not the NIMBY's stepping on his toes, but the shortsighted developers.

Yeah, and there it's not the NIMBY's stepping on his toes, but the shortsighted developers.

Actually, Cambridge community groups forced the developers to include 10 acres of parkland out of 40 acres...that's a lot of land to devote to parkland. Community groups have had quite a bit of say in how NorthPoint was developed.

Actually, Cambridge community groups forced the developers to include 10 acres of parkland out of 40 acres...that's a lot of land to devote to parkland. Community groups have had quite a bit of say in how NorthPoint was developed.
This is true, but I was mostly talking about having the skywalk he designed(?) nixed by the developers. Anyways, I really doubt that Pei would mind having extra park space to work with - most architects complain about every building taking up the maximum square footage...

Too late, I believe it's already been converted to office space. Besides, do we really need another one three blocks from the Pru. Having one in the financial district would be far more appropriate and even then such a thing should never be a stipulation to further growth in our city.

Are you new to Boston? This was part of the deal made when the Hancock was built. On 9/11? it closed, and after The War On Terror? began in earnest, it remained off-limits to the general public. The city can't locate the written agreement stipulating it be open, therefore the new owners were/are under no obligation to follow it.

It's been used for private parties, corporate events, etc. (I've been up there since 9/11?), and the views are both different and better than the shorter Pru a few blocks west. So, yeah, we do need it back.

Any conversion to office space there would be simple stick construction or modular panels that can easily be removed/remediated back to the original observatory purpose. Any lease agreements would be the sticking point (but not impossible to overcome).

I don't think observatories should generally be a stipulation for tall buildings, but if the owners of the Hancock want to close the plaza (a winter garden effectively creates a private indoor area for their tenants, as noted elsewhere in this thread), they should at least make a token gesture to the community.

Who knows, maybe even some of the tourists visiting the observatory will visit the cookie cutter Ruth's Chris, Morton's, or whatever other tacky steakhouse chain masquerading as upscale dining is built there.

Th old observatory space was leased to somebody I believe about a year or two ago. Rumor has it that its in the John Hancock Lease/Sale agreement that the building owner can never reopen the observation deck.

I agree they are not making a public space they would be making a bigger lobby so they can create space to rent. And I would guarantee that entrances to this new space would be configured so people could not cut through.

What restaurant would want to be in a basement?

Also wouldnt it be possible that anything built on the plaza could worsen the wind problem?

Back