Hanover Street Pedestrian Mall

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Hanover Street Piazza Bid has Legs

Plan Would Close Route to Traffic

By Donovan Slack, Globe Staff | September 2, 2006

A Boston city councilor, backed by tourism officials and the mayor, wants to convert the North End's famous Hanover Street into an Italian piazza, with strolling violinists, artist stalls and waiters with Valpolicella and espressos scurrying to customers at tables in the middle of the street.

Councilor Salvatore LaMattina , who represents the neighborhood, said he wants to test the idea, starting next spring, by blocking out traffic only on weekends during the summer months. Eventually, he wants to seal off the street permanently and convert it to a public gathering place.

``I picture a little music, like they do in Venice," LaMattina said.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino is supporting the proposal and envisions summer dances with accordion players and perhaps space where local artists could show their work.

``There's great possibilities," he said. ``Just think about what you could do."

Part of the appeal of closing the street to traffic, officials said, is that would help the city capitalize on one of its best tourist draws. The 5.8 million tourists estimated to visit the North End each year could grow significantly if the street were turned over to pedestrians, the officials said.

``When word gets out about it, that's going to become a reason to go to Boston," said Patrick B. Moscaritolo , president and CEO Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau.

The proposal would also be a way to deal with persistent problems in the North End, where noise and exhaust spew from the daily crush of traffic along the street as visitors on foot jam the sidewalks. Closing the street to cars would additionally mean easier access by street sweepers, which are often stymied by motorists who refuse to give up rare-curbside spaces. Public works officials rejoiced a few years ago when parking was banned during the Democratic National Convention, with the commissioner gushing, ``I can finally get a gutter to clean!"

``What I noticed this summer, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights, it's so congested, you can't walk on the sidewalk," LaMattina said.

Still, some residents and business owners said they were concerned about increased traffic on residential side streets, difficulties getting supplies delivered to businesses in the closed-off area, and the vanquishing of valets that serve Hanover Street restaurants.

Frank DiPasquale , who runs the neighborhood business association, says he worries that upscale customers won't want to walk several blocks from their cars, especially in bad weather.

``Those are the people we want coming in here," said DiPasquale, who owns five restaurants in the North End, including Il Panino Express and Bricco on Hanover Street. ``There's going to be major issues."

LaMattina said he is putting together a task force to help address the concerns, with representatives from business and neighborhood groups, the mayor's office , and the transportation and police departments. He hopes to have the first weekend closure next spring, roping off Hanover Street between Cross and Prince streets from Friday afternoons to Sunday nights. If the experiment goes well, Menino and other officials will consider closing it permanently.

As part of the plan, cooperative, centralized pickup and drop-off points for valets and taxi cabs could be installed on Cross Street, city officials said. And deliveries could be allowed to the closed-off area during certain hours, most likely in the morning. In the end, LaMattina said, he expects business owners and residents to enjoy the piazza as much as, and perhaps more than, tourists.

``In Italy, residents go out to the piazza and have coffee with their neighbors and friends," LaMattina said.

The idea was popular yesterday among many old-time North Enders, people such as 83-year-old John Rosato and his friends, who for years have created a makeshift piazza a block away on Parmenter Street outside Polcari's Coffee. Rosato can be found nearly everyday except Sundays in his lawn chair on the pavement, talking about neighborhood goings on, waving at passersby and greeting his friends with double-cheek kisses.

``If they can have gardens next to City Hall, why can't we have a piazza, like in Italy?" said Rosato, who said he would gladly move his lawn chair to the piazza. ``It'd be good scenery."

Longtime resident and business owner, Joanne Prevost-Anzalone, said she would welcome the European ambience, and if the delivery concerns were worked out, she would have coffee on the piazza every day. ``I'd be right there, right in the middle of it," she said.

As traffic came to a near standstill on Hanover Street shortly after noon yesterday, car horns rang out and the smell of exhaust wafted across the sidewalk, where Pasquale Giliberti was smoking a Marlboro and speaking in Italian with a friend from East Boston.

``It should have been done years ago, what he is talking about," Giliberti said of the piazza proposal, waving his hands for emphasis. ``Why should people have to go to a foreign country (for a piazza)? Why they can't enjoy every weekend?"

There is one problem, Giliberti said: LaMattina referenced Venice when talking about the piazza.

``The people from Naples, they will be against it; the people from Sicily, they will be against it," Giliberti said. ``That's the Italian way. He should say only Italy."

Donovan Slack can be reached at dslack@globe.com.

? Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.[/b]

I think this is a great idea, as long as the city doesn't try to turn it into a super tourist strip. The Italians know how to make good use of a piazza (even though a piazza is technically more open than a single street), and the tight streets of the North End would make perfect pedestrian ways. If you look at maps of European cities, you can see many streets marked as pedestrian only, something that always seems to be lacking in American cities.

This is a great idea that builds on the removal of the raised central artery.

As someone who works in that area, I welcome this proposal. But do it right this time. Get all the taxis, delivery trucks, and police cars off the road. Downtown Crossing would be much more pleasant without them.

(to lexicon506: this is already a tourist zone.)

``What I noticed this summer, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights, it's so congested, you can't walk on the sidewalk," LaMattina said.

I agree, and unless you want to walk at 0.5 mp/h behind a family pushing a stroller, you have no choice but to walk in the streets with the cars anyway.

This is a fantastic idea.

Some North Enders wanted the Central Artery's 'North End Parks' developed as an Italian-style piazza. That proposal was not accepted, but this may make up for it.

lexicon506 said:
I think this is a great idea, as long as the city doesn't try to turn it into a super tourist strip.
Agreed. The neighborhood seems to me to be holding its character well, and it would be a shame to lose that.

...I sometimes think maybe all or parts of Newbury street could make the same move. Newbury's wider and traffic's one-way. As is cars are well-advised to take Comm Ave instead of trudging through Newbury's thick pedestrian traffic, which tends to cross the street at any point on it, or even walk on the street sometimes.

quadratdackel said:
lexicon506 said:
I think this is a great idea, as long as the city doesn't try to turn it into a super tourist strip.
Agreed. The neighborhood seems to me to be holding its character well, and it would be a shame to lose that.

...I sometimes think maybe all or parts of Newbury street could make the same move. Newbury's wider and traffic's one-way. As is cars are well-advised to take Comm Ave instead of trudging through Newbury's thick pedestrian traffic, which tends to cross the street at any point on it, or even walk on the street sometimes.

Just remember that BU has a proposal to widen the sidewalks on Comm ave after kenmore square, and thus, remove a lane.

jass said:
quadratdackel said:
lexicon506 said:

Just remember that BU has a proposal to widen the sidewalks on Comm ave after kenmore square, and thus, remove a lane.

are you serious? they've already begun the process of destroying kenmore square by removing one traffic lane. I can't imagine what would happen if that went all the way down comm ave.. what a nightmare..

those sidewalks are already huge.. I understand trying to make a campus but that's just absurd.

Removing lanes of traffic from Kenmore Square can only make it a more pleasant place to be. But we're getting way far afield from the original topic.

Ron Newman said:
Removing lanes of traffic from Kenmore Square can only make it a more pleasant place to be. But we're getting way far afield from the original topic.

Ron, as you may know, bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks. The kenmore renovation (shitshow) will allow you less biking area and force you onto a narrower roadway where you'll compete with busses, dump trucks and (gasp!) suvs for pavement. I wonder how much of a pleasent place you'll think kenmore is when you're run over by some drunk contractor leaving fenway park.

I don't think the North End idea will fly with business owners. I'd estimate over 50% of their business is generated by suburbanites that come in for dinnner/drinks. Without valet or somewhere convenient to leave their cars they'll be less likely to come in.

Idealism abound, but logic left at the door. ALSO, any project of this scope is sure to be plagued by cost over runs and corruption. Boston (and the state) is incapable of completeing any infrastructure construction and should not attempt anything new, rather they should focus on maintenance. Kenmore is already behind as is just about everything in this god damn city.

The big dig has shaken my belief in what this city is capable of to the core. They should just tear down and start over again, like what is suggested in New Orleans. Despite some drastic re-localization based on energy shortage in the next 10-20 years, the concept of urban centers will slowly peter out. The infatuation with urban centers is based more on Hollywood romanticism than convenience and standard of living.

There's my rant.

bosdevelopment said:
Ron Newman said:

Ron, as you may know, bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks.

Im 95% sure bikes are allowed on sidewalks, except for certain areas downtown. I know I always ride on the sidewalk.

Anyway, I believe theres a thread in this forum about the BU proposals (the new dorm towers, and the comm ave renovation). I havent heard any updates on the project all summer though

bosdevelopment said:
The big dig has shaken my belief in what this city is capable of to the core. They should just tear down and start over again, like what is suggested in New Orleans.

dumbass

Scott said:
bosdevelopment said:
The big dig has shaken my belief in what this city is capable of to the core. They should just tear down and start over again, like what is suggested in New Orleans.

dumbass

Do you understand how much 14 BILLION dollars actually is? That's 14 thousand million. The most extreme tower projects downtown will approach $750,000,000 in cost (like winthrop square). There will also be returns on these projects. What tangible return will the big dig have? Tourism?

What exactly does Boston gain from holding on to the cowpath infrastructure it once held, other than the romance. You are the dumbass.

bosdevelopment said:
Do you understand how much 14 BILLION blah, blah actually is? That's blah blah blah blah, I worship Bush, I love Romney blah blah.
What exactly does Boston gain from blah blah blah other than the romance. You are the dumbass.

he he he... I thought you would understand me better if I spoke to you in your native tongue :lol:

The Globe said:
Boston's love/hate for cars

By David Kruh | September 27, 2006

BOSTON HAS long displayed a kind of schizophrenia when it comes to motorized vehicles on its streets. The automobile wasn't even in mass production in 1909, but the city's narrow paths were already so badly clogged that the first idea for a downtown elevated bypass was floated. Ironically, when the Central Artery was finally built in the 1950s its primary purpose was not to get cars off Boston's streets, but to bring more of them (specifically ones driven by free-spending suburbanites) into a city that had fallen into disrepair and blight after years of neglect, incompetence, and malfeasance.

That Artery, dubbed a ``highway in the sky" by one local paper, needed room for six lanes of traffic as well as numerous (and confusing) exit- and on-ramps. But utterly fearful that the Hub was slipping into permanent blight, planners didn't blink at flattening large sections of the North End and Chinatown, kicking thousands from their homes and businesses. A number of streets also had to be re aligned, while many others were simply cut in two by the highway. No street was more dramatically affected by the Artery than one of the city's first, Hanover Street, which had run all the way from Boston Harbor, at Atlantic Avenue, to the base of Beacon Hill at Court Street (now Cambridge Street) in Scollay Square.

Along Hanover Street lay the history of a neighborhood, a city, and a nation. During the 17th century, Boston's first as a town, Hanover Street was home to Cotton Mather, a prominent Bostonian who was also leader of the Puritan Church. During the Revolutionary War lived patriot Joseph Warren, from whose home the word was sent to the sexton of the Old North Church on how to light the lanterns for Paul Revere. Mather and Warren gave way in the 1800s to Irish immigrants who jammed the North End's three- and four-story apartment buildings, as they eked out an existence in a hostile city.

Boston was no more hospitable to the wave of Jews from Central and Eastern Europe who followed the Irish into the North End, or to the Italians who followed the Jews. Yet all embraced their new home, and made Hanover Street a focal point of their lives. Then, in 1951, came the destruction of a large chunk of the neighborhood by the construction of the Central Artery, and Hanover Street, the North End's primary link to downtown, was cut into two pieces, all in the name of getting cars into and through the city.

Yet less than 10 years after Central Artery construction began, the crowded Scollay Square district was razed, and most of its streets, including the upper end of Hanover Street, between Congress and Beacon Hill, removed to make room for the expansive (and car-free) red-bricked area known as City Hall Plaza, which one planner believed would become the St. Peter's Square of Boston. That, of course, never happened, and save for the occasional sports championship celebration ( one Celtics, three Patriots, and one Red Sox in the past 20 years) car-less City Hall Plaza remains an empty, ghostly reminder of the anti auto zeal of the 1960s.

By the 1990s the pendulum had swung back to a newfound appreciation for the benefits to the city of motorized traffic. In 1995 Mayor Thomas Menino, an unabashed critic of City Hall Plaza, formed the Trust for City Hall Plaza, a 33-member panel made up of business, civic, and neighborhood leaders. Headed by prolific developer Norman Leventhal, the Trust was tasked with finding ways of rejuvenating the Plaza. Among its recommendations was the restoration of Hanover Street from Congress to Cambridge, including allowing automobiles. The Globe's own Robert Campbell wrote in 1997, ``Many of us, if asked, will say we prefer `open space' to streets. But we're far more likely to be saying this while sitting at a sidewalk cafe on congested Newbury Street than picnicking on the Boston Common."

Now comes talk of turning Hanover Street into a pedestrian walkway. Proponents talk dreamily of the old world charm that would come from sidewalk cafes and street vendors lining a bricked-over Hanover. But is Campbell right? As we look around the city at our experiments with auto-less streets (not just City Hall Plaza, but the mess that is Downtown Crossing) even the most anti car, pro pedestrian advocate has to wonder if we are, once again, reacting with our gut instead of accepting how Boston actually lives, works, and plays.

David Kruh is author of two books on Scollay Square
Link

Closing Hanover Street to cars is a bad idea, imo. Such closure sapped Downtown Crossing's vitality and character. The same will happen here. I see hokey written all over this; let's be happy we have a more-or-less genuine place and let's not turn it into a phony tourist trap --complete with jugglers-- like Quincy Market.

The universal decline of all American cities is what sapped DTX of its former vitality. If anything, having DTX car-free adds character to the place. I love it when I enter Winter St. and the road is clogged with people instead of cars. I'm all for the bricking-over of Hanover, although I do share ablarc's concern over its possible transformation into a tourist strip.

lexicon506 said:
...although I do share ablarc's concern over its possible transformation into a tourist strip.
Possible?? Read what they have planned for it.

Back