Harvard Club of Boston Redevelopment | 415 Newbury Street | Back Bay

No...they're bending over backwards to make sure the open-air parking lot not only doesn't get displaced, but nets a 10% capacity expansion with the included garage.
? The LOI explicitly calls out demolition of the Harvard Club annex and construction on the parking lot, replacing parking underground. Frankly, it sounds like the only plan that would get buy in and should help the streetscape a lot - removing the blank face of the Harvard Club and the parking lot, especially combined with the parcel 12 project.

Man, I thought they were tearing the whole place down in my first panic read. Had my wedding rehearsal dinner after party there and took a bunch of squash lessons, too. Place has a lot more character than the downtown Boston Harvard Club.

PNF: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/l0wx4eb9j6xm6ak6a4uloiey00r94o4y

1642649008633.png

1642649054184.png

1642649095358.png

Hmm, brick looks good. Not bad. Definitely a massive upgrade to the blank wall and parking lot. If the brick on the taller building looks like the closeup of the shorter building itll be pretty nice.

Wasn't there a project approved nearby on Newbury recently?

I am amused by the grassy embankment where Parcel 12 is going in.
If they did render Parcel 12 they'd have to dial transparency all the way up on it (like they did for the 1085 Boylston St building in the foreground) to prevent it from blocking like half of the frame.

sweet, apartments with highway views and no parking for club members anymore. what a win win for everyone.
There are more garage parking spaces in that proposed development than there are spaces in the surface lot there now. But either way, I'm pretty sure that the interests of the members of the Harvard Club of Boston are being considered in this project being designed and developed at the behest of [checks notes] the Harvard Club of Boston.

And apartments with "highway views" are way better than parking lots with highway views. If those units are actually undesirable they can be sold/rented for cheap, but I'm pretty sure we can all agree that's not going to happen. Plenty of other buildings along this stretch have "highway views" and people still gladly pay to live in them!

There are more garage parking spaces in that proposed development than there are spaces in the surface lot there now. But either way, I'm pretty sure that the interests of the members of the Harvard Club of Boston are being considered in this project being designed and developed at the behest of [checks notes] the Harvard Club of Boston.

And apartments with "highway views" are way better than parking lots with highway views. If those units are actually undesirable they can be sold/rented for cheap, but I'm pretty sure we can all agree that's not going to happen. Plenty of other buildings along this stretch have "highway views" and people still gladly pay to live in them!

You say "highway views", I say "natural light into perpetuity".

Depending on how Parcel 12's interface with I-90 goes, they could have something really interesting to look at...

Back