Harvard Street Residences | Worcester

ctsketch

Reaction score
Rossi, The Walker Lofts developer is proposing a 259 unit mixed used building downton. Full plans set here:

https://www.worcesterma.gov/applications/boards-commissions/planning-board/PB-2022-014 - 8 Harvard Street (Site Plan)/PB-2022-014 - 8 Harvard Street (DSP) - Plans (3-15-2022).pdf

8harv.PNG

About time something was built on that massive lot, since Unum hasn't needed it since they consolidated in City Square.

I wonder if that seals the fate / rescues that Adam’s Family house that’s sitting abandoned at the edge of this new development.

I wonder if that seals the fate / rescues that Adam’s Family house that’s sitting abandoned at the edge of this new development.

I've always been fascinated by that house, is there any history to it?

Harvard Street looks like it once had some grand homes lining its entire length. Sadly much of it is gone. There are however still a few reminders of its past. My favorite which I always admired when at WPI was the Whitcomb House at the corner of Harvard and Highland Streets. It was designed by Stephen Earle in 1879. It was built not long after he had designed the nearby Boynton Hall, the first building at WPI which featured some of the same materials and design elements. Some of Earle's other works in the city include Bancroft Tower, Chestnut St Congregational, Worcester Art Museum. and the Old Worcester County Courthouse. His son Ralph would be the 6th president of WPI.
1649867732380.png

Last edited:
The Whitcomb House has been well maintained, including surrounding landscaping. It's on a prominent corner as well which is doubly nice. The street was lined with historic houses at one point but most have been torn down. Those that remain have been modified a bit over the years and don't really have the charm and appearance of the Whitcomb.

In any event, the Residences seems like a somewhat big deal. The spot where it's being built is a dead zone of empty parking lots and questionably maintained buildings so maybe this is the start of revitalizing the hill above Main St. The views should also be good. I run down Harvard and Linden occasionally and even from street level the view out over downtown, Belmont Hill, Shrewsbury St., etc. is surprisingly nice. Walking distance from Highland St. and downtown is all of a sudden a pretty good thing too.

I happened to run by there today. Magnificent desolation:

610C6CEF-E651-46CD-ACA5-96D550DE5230.jpeg
78E01184-82EE-48B1-9B36-375DB39ABAC8.jpeg

Bonus: Adam’s Family house:

B1C43DD1-1142-42D7-BA51-BE4C8B1EF2A0.jpeg
838C223E-88DF-4936-A822-0743E0A12031.jpeg
E8F49918-D083-4A46-A006-ED4FCBDD3CA9.jpeg

That parking lot got treated to a new pavement..View attachment 44728
The developer just finished this across the street

makes me wonder if 8 harvard will happen anytime soon and if they do, what are they going to do for parking at Sudbury?

Probably cannot get financing for it right now, or the economics don't look favorable in 24 months when it would likely open if they stuck a shovel in the ground today.

Back