Harvard's new Arnold Arboretum Building

stellarfun

Reaction score
I know this project was discussed in the Harvard Allston thread, with some neighbors objecting to the proposed project, but I thought it deserves its own thread now that there are renderings, and construction has started.

NorthSouth.jpg

CenterSt.jpg

The architect is KlingStubbins, the contractor is Lee Kennedy.

From Harvard's writeup of the building:
The new building will include twelve greenhouses, plant growth chambers, labs and lab support rooms, offices, and meeting rooms. The 43,500 square foot building will house up to 48 researchers and assistants, as well as offices for the administration department of the Arboretum, currently located in the Hunnewell Building. The building is sited in the northwest area of the Weld Hill parcel and will have its entrance on Centre Street.

The building design will provide for a healthy and productive workspace with minimized environmental impacts and energy-efficient operations. We are seeking LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification as a ?green building.? Heating and cooling will be provided through a closed-loop, geothermal heat exchange system that will be constructed underground to the south of the building. After construction, this area will restored to its existing landscape of meadow with scattered trees and will be available for neighbors to enjoy.

Maybe the MassHort parcels should have been turned over to Harvard, where cost does not seem to be a constraint.

I like this complex! Seems to be inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright. Renderings are very beautiful.

Definitely a little bit of Wright, Robie house was the first thing I thought of when I saw this.

I take the 38 bus a couple times a weeks, which goes right by this site, and I see that they've already removed a large portion of the hill.

Back