Harvard's Northwest Science Building

czsz said:
The towers on Boylston to the east of Trinity Church are the institutional embodiments of McMansions.

True enough...The brick one that fronts on Berkley is by Stern...

czsz said:
The Spangler deserves a little more respect. Unoriginal? Sure. But it's tastefully restrained within its historicist idiom.

I own a dark suit that would look great with a bowler hat...

czsz said:
How to explain the similarities between the Brooke and the work of Speer? I would say stylized classicism strips the humanizing modulation of sculpture (between the vast scale of such buildings and people), leaving little more than awesome yet ominous monumentality. There is nothing to make the individual feel he/she is part of such a structure, merely the suggestion that he/she is little in comparison with it.

Astute and pithy.

Funny this topic should meander to the few PoMo buildings in Boston to which my reaction is more nuanced than instant retching. After half a century people decided that High Modernism is too austere for mass production; fair enough. But the return to ornament turned out to have had even less intellectual steam, at least in what seems to be its major form: stage sets -- abstracted and simplified quotes of classical surface decorations, which coyly nod to either side of history and fail at both. It might have been a cool enough idea in its first 4-5 instances (would the people here versed in architectural history tell me what were the first major buildings in this PoMo idiom?), but enough already...

I like Hauser because it recycles the past (Richardson) inteligently. It picks out a handful of distinguishing (Neo-)Romanesque features -- the bulk, the asymmetry, the rusticated stone, the arch, and then combines them coherently rather than plastering them onto another run-of-the-mill modern building. I like to read the whole of Hauser as a sort of portrait of Austin Hall, reduced with Picasso-esque economy (if lacking the genius) to its big off-center bay/tower, with the signature arch folded onto it. A great building? No -- somewhat annoying are the widening windows and the brutish cornice, features it incidentally shares with the Brooke courthouse and which McKinnel-Kallman seem to have adopted as their visual signature lately. But certainly one of the more intelligent PoMos I've seen.

If Niketown is not quite as good, it's because whatever it's a riff on (if anything in particular?) doesn't have the punch and integrity of Richardson. But the scale is right, and hats off to anybody who gets away with building without brick in the Back Bay.

My initial reaction to Spangler was indeed retching, especially since Harvard if anybody has the money and leisure to patronize good architecture. But it earned my grudging respect because it doesn't ape Neo-Georgian, it simply is Neo-Georgian. A pitiful lack of imagination for 2002, but good so far as it goes.

If they must curtsy to the past, architects could do worse than to heed one spectacularly gaudy building: "Der Zeit ihre Kunst, der Kunst ihre Freiheit."

justin

Good example of very early pomo: the "Ironic order" columns on the Williams College art building:

ironiccolumns.gif

The wordplay alone points toward the original intent: not reaction, but rather sendup of classical idioms. How did it go wrong? Possibly by intersecting with the Trumpian boom of the 80s, when it was free to be co-opted by simple bad taste.

^ Why couldn't Moore have stuck to what he did (so very well) at Sea Ranch?

justin said:
I like Hauser because it recycles the past (Richardson) inteligently. It picks out a handful of distinguishing (Neo-)Romanesque features -- the bulk, the asymmetry, the rusticated stone, the arch, and then combines them coherently rather than plastering them onto another run-of-the-mill modern building. I like to read the whole of Hauser as a sort of portrait of Austin Hall,
Close, but really Hauser is referring to Richardson's Trinity Church rectory:

Hauser.jpg

TCR.jpg

An apt comparison to be sure, but it's most likely the Law School heads were sold on similarities to their beloved old Austin.

justin said:
would the people here versed in architectural history tell me what were the first major buildings in this PoMo idiom?
I'm not versed, but I can see it in the early Sixties: Stone's 2 Columbus Circle (Huntington Hartford Gallery), Saarinen's Morse and Stiles Colleges, Kahn's Exeter Library, Yamasaki's Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton, Venturi's Guild House...

Not so much "idiom" as a striving after something those architects felt had been lost when Modernism replaced the long tradition of architecture with something essentially rootless --because revolutionary.

ablarc said:
Not so much "idiom" as a striving after something those architects felt had been lost when Modernism replaced the long tradition of architecture with something essentially rootless --because revolutionary.

Would Wright's Marin County Civic Center qualify in its re-imagining of a Roman aqueduct?

img002gd.JPG

mcc%20context2.jpg

Or Moore's aforementioned Sea Ranch condo with Northern California farm structures and fish-houses?

SeaRanchExt.jpg

Maybe some of Aldo Rossi's work is a fit here as well, but my knowledge is pretty thin...

Beton Brut said:
Would Wright's Marin County Civic Center qualify in its re-imagining of a Roman aqueduct?
Good point.

does that sign mean we can just come in and check out the construction site? :)

The glass on the right hand side is beautiful...it echoes Gropius' nearby Harkness Commons.

This is one gigantic building. Some parts are nice, others, not so much.

img4562lq4.jpg

The front is a nice part. I like how they applied glass over the wood spandrels:

img4563vh8.jpg

The west side, not so much

img4566oq4.jpg

the northern end

img4567cp3.jpg

and the eastern side

img4568ty9.jpg

NW Science, June 7

North facade:

nw-10.jpg

nw-11.jpg

Northeast side:

nw-12.jpg

East side:

nw-16.jpg

nw-18.jpg

nw-21.jpg

nw-22.jpg

Now what you really see from street level compared to the renderings of the east facade. For those commenting on the Bulfinch Triangle streetscapes, many of the renderings presumed there were no buildings on the opposite side of the street, and a panoramic perspective was there for all to view.

nw-25.jpg

No plans at the moment to move the Harvard Landscaping Dept.

nw-26.jpg

A courtyard and skylights on the south side. Next to Natural History Museum.

nw-28.jpg

Reviewing this thread, I'm struck again by the dramatic aptness of this perception. Did you discover this ex nihilo, Beton Brut?

Ha! Wright as the first Postmodernist. Goes with Wright as the Last Victorian. (Benefit of a long career.)

Did you discover this ex nihilo, Beton Brut?

Not like I'm gonna fly to Stockholm to pick up a Nobel Prize, but yes, that's all me. I've visited Marin twice and have a great set of photos from my last visit. Should I post them here, or here?

Here's the deal: I studied Latin in high school, and read my ancient history. After school, I'd smoke some grass in the Fens and take the E-Line down to the BPL and read old issues of Architectural Record, Architectural Forum, and little monographs like this. It's a shame I never bothered to do my Trig and Physics homework -- things may have been different for me.

Chalk this one up to the broken clock being right twice a day.

Ha! Wright as the first Postmodernist.

He was a vanguard figure, and he always liked his arches (my favorite Prairie House by a pretty wide margin).

Isn't Ronchamp considered the first PoMo building? Two Columbus Circle has been similarly characterized, but it's a bit later than Marin (1964).

Last edited:
Isn't Ronchamp considered the first PoMo building? Two Columbus Circle has been similarly characterized, but it's a bit later than Marin (1964).

I've never heard that before, but I get it. Though I think Plecnik was kind of doing postmodern work, and he died about the time Ronchamp was built.

Plecnik work is certainly interesting, and it seems to have happened without regard for his peers (Mies, Gropius, Corbu, et al.) Now I know who Michael Graves has been stealing from all these years...

The National Library is a real triumph. It's brick and rusticated stone facade-treatment reminds me, strangely, of the Shapiro Building at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Last edited:
All I can say about that Plecnik stuff is...

...WOW!

Back