Has the Boston condo market finally peaked?

Maybe things have changed since my time there, but, I think my class started at 600+ and maybe graduated around 300. Not sure if more seats would really be the answer given the historic baked-in attribution ("look to your left, look to your right" and all that).
Plus there's another influx of 100 or so in 9th grade. The attrition is a feature, not a bug, which gets back to my initial point - it's not enough to just let more kids in, you have to prepare them for the grind (I wonder if, along with testing, a "Latin Prep" type program at other BPS schools could work - a 1 to 2 year more intense curriculum that results in a guaranteed seat at an exam school over a specific GPA...)
Yeah, getting pretty off topic. Maybe we need a BPS thread.
Yes! Although this is pretty much just a "Latin Alumni Discuss Latin" thread at this point.

Maybe things have changed since my time there, but, I think my class started at 600+ and maybe graduated around 300. Not sure if more seats would really be the answer given the historic baked-in attribution ("look to your left, look to your right" and all that).

Yes, that's definitely changed (my understanding is that the dropout rate started coming under fire in the "no child left behind" era). Here's the current data for student enrollment:

Enrollment Data (2019-20) - Boston Latin School (00350560) (mass.edu)
^Hopefully that's real and up-to-date. If it is, then the class size per grade is pretty consistent over all 6 years.

And besides, even if the school bled off 50% of each new entering class, you'd still wind up with more graduating if you start with more 7th graders. Unless you'd argue that 700+ or 800+ would still have turned into 300 by grade 12. Possible, but I personally think it's unlikely.

Back