Herald Square | 385 Congress St | Portland

I don't see Jim Brady modifying this project to make it taller and bigger as he does a more conservative and smart approach. However, I think because of the explosive tech growth in Boston almost anything built in Portland is a relatively safe bet. It's not just a vacation destination but a de facto realistic part-time commute to Boston. Why not live in Maine if you are going to start a family?

94967B_2_WTM.JPG

Prior to the Gannett printing building and looking at the cars (Ford Falcon) I'm guessing around 1960. Portland Public Library Archives

Last edited:
Wasn't sure where else to put this message but you all may want to change your passwords for this site as it appears that this information was included in a data breach.

It seems like a portion of this project won't be built as laid out in the Master Plan.

The subdivided parcel at the corner of Cumberland and Myrtle St. will be developed separately by Lincoln Avenue Communities - a national affordable housing developer. They will be submitting plans for a 6-7-story senior affordable housing project with 50 to 60 units at some point in the near future.

Disappointing there won't be more density on that parcel. Is this potentially the new Phase 1?

1676132970209.jpeg

I'm not surprised and felt that the master plan was way too ambitious (including massing) on the Cumberland Avenue side. So it will be similar to Chestnut Street Lofts in size but for seniors and as long as the two buildings eventually get built on Congress Street I'll be elated. (y)

Last edited:
6 stories is very disappointing for that area... Sheesh. Makes me concerned about the rest of the development now as well.

Over 45 combined floors of new construction in a relatively small block was just not realistic in my opinion. Boston, Providence, Worcester, Springfield, New Haven, Stamford or Hartford maybe.

I personally think the change is also in response to market demand. There's massive demand for affordable housing but on-peninsula condo sales have been slowing down. There just isn't the demand for THAT many new condo units even on a 5-year timeframe.

I think Portland Foreside will encounter a similar situation.

^ And whoever breaks ground first may end up being the winner. I am surprised that the old printing building has not been demolished yet and I'll feel better about the state of the project once it is.

I feel like this project has been on hold for a while. Any updated or timelines for when demolition and breaking ground will be?

I'm happy at least that the Congress Street facing elements will break ground. It'll be so much better than what's there.

Photo I surprisingly came across for sale on Ebay. Showing Lincoln Park, the original City Hall (pre-fire), and Church.

Attachments

• Lincoln Park Portland Maine.jpg
    Lincoln Park Portland Maine.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
It seems like a portion of this project won't be built as laid out in the Master Plan.

The subdivided parcel at the corner of Cumberland and Myrtle St. will be developed separately by Lincoln Avenue Communities - a national affordable housing developer. They will be submitting plans for a 6-7-story senior affordable housing project with 50 to 60 units at some point in the near future.
Just appeared on CSS - doesn't look like there are docs yet. Here is the (abridged ) project description:
Major Site Plan and Amended Subdivision Application – The Lofts on Cumberland
Lot 3, 385 Congress Street Subdivision (244 Cumberland Avenue)

On behalf of Lincoln Avenue Capital Northeast Developer, LLC, (Applicant), an affiliate of Lincoln Avenue Communities, a mission-driven affordable housing developer, we are pleased to submit the enclosed application for a Major Site Plan and Amended Subdivision Application for a proposed 55-unit, age-restricted (55+) affordable housing development at Lot 3, of the 385 Congress Street Subdivision. A Master Plan of Development (MDP) was approved by the Planning Board on August 9, 2022, for the overall master planned site bounded by Congress Street, Myrtle Street, Cumberland Avenue, and Pearl Street. This attached application involves a reconfiguration of Lots 2 and 3 and the development of a portion of Lot 3, land currently identified on the City’s parcel mapping as a portion Tax Map 27 Lot D003 with a street address of 365 Congress Street.

The applicant, Lincoln Avenue Capital Northeast Developer, LLC, has entered into a purchase agreement to acquire a portion of Lot 3, an approximately 19,570 sf area of land at the corner of Myrtle Street and Cumberland Avenue for the development of an age-restricted (55+) residential building. The applicant is pursuing financing for the project through the utilization of state funding for Tax-Exempt Bonds, 4% or 9% Low Income Housing Tax Credits, and capital subsidy funds through MaineHousing.

The subject site comprises 0.45 acres (19,570 sf) subdivided as part of the Master Plan process from a larger 2.26-acre parcel that occupied the city block bounded by Congress Street, Myrtle Street, Cumberland Avenue and Pearl Street. The site is fully developed with a surface parking lot and is used as a private parking facility. A portion of the site is occupied by the former Press Herald printing building.

In February 2022, the Planning Board approved a Major Site Plan for a Hotel on Lot 1 of the subdivision, abutting the project site to the east. The current landowner of the project site and the property to the north and northeast identified as Lots 2 and 3, 385 Congress Street, LLC, will retain the revised Lot 2 for the future development envisioned in the Master Plan of Development.

385 Congress Street, LLC is working collaboratively with the applicant in the purchase agreement such that the affordable housing units created by the Lofts on Cumberland project may be used to meet some or all of the Inclusionary Zoning requirements for the future market-rate residential development of the remaining land. The Lot 3 property is being sold to the applicant at a below market rate so that the project will be affordable.

The project is proposed as a condominium. The affordable housing condominium will encompass the proposed affordable housing units and associated building systems and amenity space, the parking levels will constitute a separate condominium unit which are to be acquired by 385 Congress, LLC upon building occupancy.

The massing of the affordable housing project is consistent with the approved MDP for the site to create a cohesive design, scale, and massing with both the approved hotel project to the east and the anticipated future residential condominiums to the north and northeast as they are envisioned in the MDP. The Lot 3 building is proposed as a 7-story structure comprised of a 2-story podium activated at street level with entrances to residential amenities and supporting uses including fitness areas, community spaces, and office/administrative spaces; with the affordable housing units located in a 5-story tower rising from the podium. The overall building height is reduced, at 7 stories, compared to the 13 stories envisioned in the MDP.

The proposed development program includes a mix of one- and two-bedroom age-restricted residential units. The ground level (Level 0) will be comprised of the lobby, building amenities, and parking garage with driveway access and entrances on Cumberland Avenue. The Level 1 floor above will be comprised of a parking level. Consistent with MDP, the parking decks are not interconnected. The Level 1 level parking will be built out, but only accessed by vehicles when the future residential condominiums on the remaining subdivision land are developed as part of the MDP.

Parking

As an age-restricted affordable housing project, there is no ordinance-required parking. The proposed parking levels will, however, provide a total of 63 parking spaces (26 on Level 0 and 37 on Level 1). Per the purchase agreement, 385 Congress, LLC will acquire the parking area as a condominium unit.

Traffic

A Traffic Movement Permit was issued for the Master Development Plan on February 24, 2023. The conditions of the TMP outlined certain traffic improvements to be constructed at various milestones in the phased build-out of the MDP.

Included in the application is a memorandum requesting language revisions to the TMP conditions reflecting a revised sequence of construction; anticipating that the proposed affordable housing project may be constructed as the first phase of construction, rather than the third phase envisioned in the MDP. There is no request to alter or reduce the offsite improvements required by the TMP, simply to clarify the improvements that are to be constructed as part of the Affordable Housing project phase.

The memorandum includes an analysis documenting the reduced traffic demand of the Lofts on Cumberland project due to a reduction of the total number of residential units now proposed, and the reduced traffic generated by age-restricted affordable housing units compared to market rate units. This analysis does not seek to reduce the permitted number of trips for the MDP but is provided to demonstrate that placing the level 0 parking entrance on Cumberland Avenue does not significantly alter the TMP analysis, which assumed a Level 0 entrance on Pearl Street.

Building Design

The building is arranged in a classic 3-part composition – base, middle, and top. The base has a limestone and brick finish to conform to the predominant limestone of adjacent buildings. The middle and top of the elevation is a mix of Hardie lap siding and panels in several complementing palettes.

The building lobby entrance on Cumberland Avenue is designed with differentiated materials and a canopy above. This entry is fully accessible.

The streetscape design incorporates street trees in planters along the curb line. The planting design and materials present a cohesive design for the space.

Amenity Deck

Consistent with MDP, the project will feature private outdoor amenity space on the rooftop of the two-level podium. This space is designed to allow for a connection to the future public amenity space at this level envisioned in the MDP and to be constructed as part of the Lot 1 Hotel site plan approval.

Consistent with the MDP this building’ amenity space will be private, for the use of the affordable housing project residents and guests. This private component is consistent with the MDP design. It is necessary to keep this area as a private (not public) space for the construction cost to be eligible for Maine Housing financing and tax credits. It is also necessary so that the affordable housing project will meet the City’s inclusionary zoning requirements that require similar amenities to be provided for market rate and affordable units. The market rate units envisioned in the future phases will have access to similar private amenity spaces.

Had to dig a bit for this, but found some elevations.

Some words I'd use are: "exceptionally average" and "astoundingly nondescript"

View attachment 46674
I'm confused by the elevations - why is the Cumberland view shorter than the Pearl/Myrtle elevations? Is Lot 3 not the one the stretches along Cumberland?

Back