Herald Square | 385 Congress St | Portland

I had the same thought. I wonder if they're anticipating waiting a year or two or three for construction costs to come down, or for the inclusionary zoning rules to change, or perhaps they want to pre-sell a certain # of units before committing to build.

Looking through some of the Site Plan packet materials...it looks like they intend to resurface a good portion of the block and create "interim parking and landscaping" for the remainder of the site not included in Phase I...This makes me a bit concerned that the future residential phases may be a bit further in the future than initially hopped.

View attachment 28811
Hopefully not another Portland Square decades-long freeze but this would at least be more attractive than the abandoned printing press building.

Remember that was the plan for Hobsons Landing. Phase III was supposed to be a grassed in area until the market warranted. Well that never happened due to the demand. The lot is just in case the market drops out until demand warrants. When does the new green deal end?

Remember that was the plan for Hobsons Landing. Phase III was supposed to be a grassed in area until the market warranted. Well that never happened due to the demand. The lot is just in case the market drops out until demand warrants. When does the new green deal end?
I don't believe it has an "end date" in the actual ordinance (although I'll admit to not reading the whole thing when I voted), but the city council can't modify it for 5 years after passage.

I don't believe it has an "end date" in the actual ordinance (although I'll admit to not reading the whole thing when I voted), but the city council can't modify it for 5 years after passage.
Does the 5 years start when the votes are counted or when it 'goes live' - didn't it pass in 2020 but only recently go into effect?

City code, Chapter 9, section 9-46:
An ordinance enacted by a vote of the people at an initiative or referendum election shall not be repealed or amended for a period of five (5) years from the effective date of the ordinance, except by a vote of the people, unless such ordinance shall otherwise expressly provide.

Per the FAQ the city published regarding the GND, it appears that the ordinance went into effect on December 6, 2020. From what I could find in the actual ordinance, it didn't specify an effective date so I'm assuming the default is c.30 days after the election.

Another example of their work would be more appropriate than what is proposed.

C18.jpg
C19.jpg

Yes, a better breakup of the massing. I like the new Daymark building in Bayside. True, it might be a bit too colorful, but I like the irregularity of the deck shapes and siding materials.

For a moment you got me excited thinking all of this massing was happening at the Portland site + Top of the East.

Here's a link from Yahoo for those not subscribed to the PPH...
https://www.yahoo.com/now/plans-upscale-hotel-next-portland-080400273.html

Looks like the 9th floor will have a rooftop deck for hotel guests (with some panel glass to break the cold breezes). The design looks interesting, or different, and am okay with it. Nothing too startling, anyway. I like that 70 spaces for parking will be underground. It's much better for guests to arrive this way, or in the winter months. True luxury thinks of all the aspects. This project is Jim Brady's, so prior for him it was the Press Hotel and Canopy Inn, and both of these hotels are simply stunning to have for Portland. I see only great things with this project. But the different thing here, or for him, are the nine condos on the top two floors. I'd say cumulatively, a bit over $10 million for that alone. Not bad. He's capitalizing now. Go for it. He's earned it.

Do we know, is the tunnel between the press building and the Press Hotel fully sealed off, or just shuttered? Depending on how the basement of the Press Hotel is laid out, I could see it being a way for guests at one hotel to be allowed to use the amenities of the other, caveat having to make a section of the existing basement guest-friendly. (Failing that, it could also be used to move e.g. laundry or catering trays from one building to the other.)

Did they at an extra floor to the hotel or is it simply a reporting error because regardless of how many times I count I continue to come up with 11? The design is growing on me and I do like the effort that was put into the western facade. The other side looking from Munjoy won't be as noticeable due to the next phase being placed very close to the hotel. Demolition of the printing building should be getting underway soon in order for the hotel to be completed towards the end of next year.

Last edited:
Do we know, is the tunnel between the press building and the Press Hotel fully sealed off, or just shuttered? Depending on how the basement of the Press Hotel is laid out, I could see it being a way for guests at one hotel to be allowed to use the amenities of the other, caveat having to make a section of the existing basement guest-friendly. (Failing that, it could also be used to move e.g. laundry or catering trays from one building to the other.)
This would be a good idea if the hotel group they go with is under the Marriot brand, which the Press Hotel is. Eventide/Honey Paw/Hugos owners do this with their three restaurants. It's a common back area and share staff and supplies when needed.

The 10/25 Planning Board packet includes one new rendering of the fully built master plan as seen from the Top of the Old Port Parking lot looking towards city hall. This is the only "new" rendering included in this packet.

Based on this, I would say it looks like they may be advancing the design of Phase 2 / 1st residential phase. It has a similar gray/black brick facade as the hotel phase.

1666616679671.png

I really like this and am wondering if the hotel's actual color scheme would be closer to this rendering which is easier on the eyes and not as bold and dark? Major shift from the previous tropical Miami Beach theme and I'm happy to see 14 floors!

Last edited:
I really like this and am wondering if the hotel's actual color scheme would be closer to this rendering which is easier on the eyes and not as bold and dark? Major shift from the previous tropical Miami Beach theme and I'm happy to see 14 floors!
More stubby buildings from this view. But, its a huge improvement.

Did anyone watch the workshop last night? I'm curious if any major comments came up.

The video of the first workshop finally posted - I don't think there were any design comments, they all liked the design. Most of the comments were around parking and the 2nd floor public roof deck. It appears plans in CSS (and in the packet) are not the most recent version - the renderings presented were different. Almost all of the dark brick is now buff. They also mentioned that there is more info about the amenity deck coming soon and also the guy from Sebago Technics said (multiple times) that the lot 2 plan is coming very soon. Some screen grabs from the presentation:

fsghdfgjhdfghj.png

iuglakjsgdf.png

werygsdfgjhsd.png

Notice the added masonry detail around the hotel entrance/window - I wish more detail like this was added to new brick construction.

ytedscgvhgyurtedfhgcj.png

Attachments

• ytedscgvhgyurtedfhgcj.png
    ytedscgvhgyurtedfhgcj.png
    502.2 KB · Views: 23

Back