Herter Park

joesly

Reaction score
Hey everyone --

I'm wondering if anyone here has any information on the Publick Theater area of Herter Park -- it hasn't been used for a bit and with the two monster projects being built around it, foot traffic will probably expand in the area.

Also, is there a place to estimate what land value or simple rent will be within a certain time period (5 years, 10 years?)

Thanks!

Here's an article I wrote:
http://bdcwire.com/list/allstons-publick-theatre-where-it-went-and-why-it-must-return/

Allston’s Publick Theatre: Where it went and why it must return

It's about 2300 words and includes some photos:

Screen-Shot-2014-04-09-at-5.03.05-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2014-04-06-at-12.48.20-AM.png

Awesome article. Great history on that spot. It really is a tough location being in a transit dead zone, but it could at least be a great spot for the lower Allston community. (note: also saw this via N&T; glad to see some more music/infrastructure nerd crossover)

Last edited:
music/infrastructure nerd crossover

Aaaaand my head explodes.

Great article...for some reason I've made it this far in life having no clue as to that site's history. Nice to finally know how that moat got there.

Hey everyone --

I'm wondering if anyone here has any information on the Publick Theater area of Herter Park -- it hasn't been used for a bit and with the two monster projects being built around it, foot traffic will probably expand in the area.

Also, is there a place to estimate what land value or simple rent will be within a certain time period (5 years, 10 years?)

Thanks!
Why don't you just look it up in the police database?
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ckers_cops_pose_as_punks_on_the_internet.html

The one thing you left out of the article: just a few years after the Publick Theatre company relocated to the South End, it disbanded entirely.

Awesome article. Great history on that spot. It really is a tough location being in a transit dead zone, but it could at least be a great spot for the lower Allston community. (note: also saw this via N&T; glad to see some more music/infrastructure nerd crossover)

I think it would be a great spot for the community as well. I live a few blocks away and cant believe this venue is going unused. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, it's best accessed by car. It's also a shame that the modernist building next to the theater is sitting empty. It would make a great design venue (design museum?), gallery, or something along those lines. Maybe the Harvard development will bring about a renewed interest in the space.

13856685255_96983a7c40_o.jpg

I'm going to take better photos soon

It doesn't help that the pedestrian bridge to get there is 1) terrifyingly unmaintained and 2) on the opposite side of the MASSIVE parking lot from the venue. The pedo bridge does dump you right by the water park thing for kids in the summer, which is a huge hit with the community.

I like the authors idea of reworking it as a music venue as well, particularly if free or very little fee is required. It might do something to cut down on some of the basement shows in LA, although I'm sure it wouldn't be long before drinking, fighting, people jumping into the moat/charles or eating veggies and peeing in the community garden became an issue. (Isn't it odd how people are better behaved at firetrap basement shows than paid venues with rules?)

It could be a great music venue, yes. You could probably find many other uses as well. All of those families that frequent the pool may go watch a movie there on a summer evening, for example (yes, the water is a problem and changes to lighting and landscaping may be required to make it safer).

Back