Historic Portland Discussion

It's somewhat like what happened to the Vendome building in Boston (1872), at 162 Commonwealth Ave. It got smoothed out a little and the crown was removed or altered. Boston in general, has done a great job with building preservation. I used to walk down this street often when I was in college. Gems all around. To live on this street now is nearly impossible, or unless you have millions.

View attachment 46549View attachment 46553
Too bad, what a mansard that was, wow.

Can you find a pic like this when the Eastland built a pool on the top? Was it the tower or the low-rise end? Probably the latter. I talked to a bartender at Top of the East a while back and he told me that Ozzy Osbourne and his band, in the late 70s or early 80s, stayed at the hotel, got drunk (they can do that, rock bands) and threw some patio furniture off the roof to High Street. Soon after the pool was closed and filled it.

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 10.05.12 PM 2.png

Credit: Q97.9 article.
460800_356955964368836_1080355375_o.jpg

True story TC and this post card photo is all I've been able to find. The pool was installed to the best of my knowledge in the late 60's after it became a Sheraton property. It was located on the northern portion of the roof closest to Cumberland Avenue (big umbrella in the left photo) and covered over during the early 80's after Ozzy's episode. When the Westin renovated the Eastland back in 2012-13, the pool basin was still intact under the 13th floor roof and had to be removed.

Last edited:
When the Westin renovated the Eastland back in 2012-13, the pool basin was still intact under the 13th floor roof and had to be removed
I asked them about it on Facebook back then, and they said that that's where the Presidential Suite is (its windows look out through the Eastland letters on the north side).

Mark, is that you helping the lovely lady out of the pool? :)

Last edited:

Back