Hobson's Landing | Aloft Hotel | 383 Commercial Street | Portland

Dang, look at that new street wall. Great shot Corey.
Thank you, sir! I am quite happy with the density of the new development here which matches the existing historic district. Part of me was worried these lots would be filled in with one story banks with drive-thru windows. While I acknowledge luxury condos and hotel rooms may not be the highest possible use of this land, the buildings themselves will likely be here a long time and can be adapted for other uses (like how the old warehouses here now house small businesses, apartments, law firms, etc).

A few other recent ones:

Hobson's Landing Under Construction from Commercial Street by Corey Templeton, on Flickr

Hobson's Landing Under Construction from York Street by Corey Templeton, on Flickr

And again.....power lines. Is there something that prevents Portland from burying them?

IMG_0886.jpg

Nice photo ME101 and welcome to archBOSTON as an actual contributor. Nice to see this end of Commercial Street getting filled in and I think the city should sell the Fish Pier lot across the street so it can be developed into a much needed garage with retail opportunities on the first level. So many visitors enter downtown from the west and cruise the entire length of Commercial looking for parking spots. This would get some of the vehicles off the street immediately and help ease some of the seasonal congestion while opening up some enclosed spaces for waterfront workers.

I like the two-toned gray siding. Reminds me of the Avesta 4 story building design across from the Westin Hotel garage. This hotel and the walk past the Courtyard Marriott to the new Canopy Hotel (Jim Brady) might be the happening section in Portland next summer.

Back