Homes Worth More than $1 Million by State

Haha jeezzzzzzzz
how many more pictures do you have good sir?
they never really get old, this building is too interesting

Shouldn't you be asking, 'Please, sir. Can I have some more.'
(Misquoted, I know. Dis daddy dun kno no bettah.)

Look what I found while cleaning up/organizing my pic files.

From March 2007
img30331024x768us4.jpg

(Again, blurry, as is often the case with my pics, when taken while on a moving bike.)

All very cool but should be moved to their own thread.
Ron Ron Ron Ron Ron... What are we gonna do with you?;)

It's my own thread, so it's guaranteed that I'll derail it. No matter.

I found a few more angles of the Cathedral under construction.
(Gotta organize my hard drive/pic files someday.)

img30221024x768qn5.jpg

img30521024x768sk3.jpg

And a few extra crane pics thrown in for 02124 and his disciples. ;)

img30311024x768cv2.jpg

img30541024x768bb2.jpg

So, garbribre, what is it that you do not like about that church? (You promised us some 'negative' comments earlier in the thread.)

It's a church in the middle of what the city wanted to be an business zone (as I understand it)? It isn't a spectacularly urban building...

For those interested, there's a feature on the Cathedral in this month's Architectural Record.

It's a church in the middle of what the city wanted to be an business zone (as I understand it)? It isn't a spectacularly urban building...

Primarily my objections. I've already stated a few more previously. Plus I have given it a derrogatory name, based on its design, for which I created a diagrammatical overlay explaining how somebody at SOM is laughing (unintentionally??) at the diocese. It's offensive and I will make more enemies if I post it.

Both sites chosen for the church were on the lake. Both should have been used for more lively, all-inclusive public use. One remains a parking lot and it seems that it will for decades to come if the adjacent buildings are reused as the new home for the Oakland Public Library.

This one had been a parking lot since the late 60s! Sadly, an eight lane surface artery runs between it and the lake, so the connection was already tenuous. That could have been rectified. However, my vision was too complicated. Vision often is.

Ron, I am trying not to be too negative anymore. Pessimistically, I'm used up! :eek:

ArchRec article is linked below, with better pics than I could ever take, including some during the construction phase:

http://archrecord.construction.com/projects/portfolio/archives/0901cathedral-1.asp

Hey, mods--Everything's groovy, but I think Ron was right (as usual). Maybe it's time to break off the Cathedral chatter into its own thread, especially as I am adding more pics below. Thanks.

However, look what I am going to do. Kinda bring this back around to near where it started... sorta. (Just because somebody made a crack elsewhere about our Nazi, I mean, Austrian governor. Heh)

California's "train wreck" a golden opportunity?

By Dan Whitcomb ? Mon Jan 26, 1:35 am ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) ? With California facing a $42 billion deficit in the current economic downturn, a glum Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has warned that the Golden State is on the brink of insolvency.
More people have left California than any other U.S. state over the past year, some disenchanted with snarled traffic, scarce jobs and some of the highest taxes in the nation. Add the prospect of still higher taxes and fewer public services, and normally sunny Californians have little to celebrate.
Still, experts say the most populous U.S. state and the world's eighth-largest economy is well placed to rise again and that this crisis could spur major changes in the economy that will pay dividends in the long term.
Abundant natural resources, big ports, access to the Pacific Rim, a large, relatively young work force, entrepreneurial draw and tech-oriented industries augur well for the future, economists and historians say.
"The prophets of doom and gloom are just not looking at the reality of California," said Jerry Nickelsburg, senior economist at the UCLA Anderson Forecast.
"The government has created kind of a mess and that's a problem to be solved, but the negatives are actually fairly small. I think you can expect a lot of good out of California," he said.
The typically upbeat Schwarzenegger made international headlines this month when, instead of delivering his usual cheery "state of the state" speech, he issued a short, bleak message about California's roughly $1.5 trillion economy.

"A ROCK UPON OUR CHEST"
"California is in a state of emergency," said the former actor and bodybuilder, whose second term ends next year. "Addressing this emergency is the first and greatest thing we must do for the people. The $42 billion deficit is a rock upon our chest and we cannot breathe until we get it off."
Controller John Chiang then told Californians he would delay sending out $3.7 billion in tax refunds and other payments because the state was running out of money.
The dismal state of the state would have been hard to imagine in California's post-World War Two golden years, when incomes were rising, land was plentiful, homes were affordable and wide-open freeways stretched in all directions.
The good times came to a screeching halt with the 1973 OPEC recession, said Dowell Myers, a professor of urban planning and demography at the University of Southern California, and in some ways they have never really returned.
At the heart of California's problems, economists say, is the government's heavy reliance on personal income taxes, which produces wild swings in revenue as its coffers overflow in good years and dry up in leaner times.
California is a pioneer state famous for its entrepreneurial spirit. But an entrepreneur who might make $2 million in boom times could go bust in a recession.
A big reason for the state's reliance on income taxes is Proposition 13, a voter-approved change to the state Constitution that limits property tax increases and requires any plan to boost taxes to receive the approval of at least two-thirds of the legislature.
The 1978 measure was credited with sparking anti-tax sentiment in other states and assisting Ronald Reagan's election as U.S. president two years later.
Legislators have responded by burdening state residents with some of the highest income and sales taxes in the country.

Economists say the state has long needed to fix that revenue roller-coaster ride and are hopeful that this crisis will force leaders to face the music.
They also place little long-term significance on the number of people moving out, saying it is misleading to compare absolute numbers with other states when California's population is so much larger.

'LONG OVERDUE REASSESSMENT'
Moreover, California's population is actually still growing thanks to immigration and births, and the state's relatively young work force may give it an edge as baby boomers retire.
California's population could hit 60 million by 2050, according to some projections, six times 1950's 10.5 million people and 60 percent more than the current 38 million.
Hard-hit by the mortgage crisis and foreclosures, home prices dropped 35 percent in 2008 in Southern California -- making home ownership realistic for young families in California for the first time in nearly a decade.
The unemployment news has been grim, with the state's jobless rate in December rising to a 14-year high of 9.3 percent, above the national average of 7.2 percent.
The rate is approaching the one posted during the recession in the early 1990s, when California's economy suffered from gutted aerospace payrolls and unemployment rose to nearly 10 percent.
But the state remains a leader in green energy, biotechnology, aerospace and other industries that are expected to fare well in the world economy and create new job markets.
"What people may think is that you can't really solve the problems in California until you totally wreck the train," Myers said. "You have to shake them up, wake them up. The outlook is very hopeful right now because this crisis is forcing a long-overdue reassessment."
Jessica Gould, a 25-year-old graduate student at USC who moved from Atlanta and fell in love with the mild climate, natural beauty, health-conscious lifestyle and anything-goes culture, is optimistic. "I am hoping we make some changes," Gould said. "(The budget mess) does concern me, to be honest. But you are going to face problems anywhere and there are so many other things I get from living here, I guess it's a small price to pay."
(Editing by Mary Milliken and Xavier Briand)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090126/us_nm/us_california_crisis

The numbers and estimates for population growth always make me laugh, both because they seem flagrantly, exponentially extreme and optimistic.

I read somewhere else that the state lost 145,000--residents I assume, as opposed to households--over a one year period. They compared it to the entire city of Syracuse disappearing. Using Syracuse as an example in a nationally published article? Bet that had people running for the atlases. :D

Also, good time for some real estate speculation on foreclosed properties. It's a feeding frenzy out here. Got cash? It's yours. List prices are of little consequence. Time for some of you to get a piece of the California Dream, which is different from the American Dream. Trust me; it is.

After a very early morning, sunrise bike ride. Nice light.

img68331024x768yx0.jpg

img68361024x768zu6.jpg

img68431024x768nf1.jpg

img68371024x768kl2.jpg

img68451024x768ud7.jpg

img68481024x768zo6.jpg

img68521024x768sc6.jpg

Next time, I'll go out for one last attempt at evening/night shots. Then I feel it is time to close the book on COCTL. (Heh heh heh)

Man, everytime I see this I like it a little tiny bit more...which is odd, because at first I really didn't like it.

Hi. I don't understand what this thread is about. Also, where are those latest photos from?

Man, everytime I see this I like it a little tiny bit more...which is odd, because at first I really didn't like it.

I wanted to reel in at least one person before I dashed their perspective on this. It may end up being you, kennedy. I want you to know, beforehand, that I do have a conscience and hate dashing the enthusiasms of young impressionables. ;)

When I first saw this basic form, I said, aloud, to everyone listening, 'This is like Hartford's Phoenix Mutual Life Plaza and Building (or whatever it is called now) except on the cathedral sanctuary, its ends are notched.' (Icy staredown ensued. Thought they were being soooo innovative.)

The interior in combination with the floating skin is what makes this building special, creating a depth of shadows and light to which most of us are unaccustomed.

I don't condemn SOM for revisiting Hartford's Phoenix Building. Both that office building and this sanctuary are striking structures, albeit each on vast wastelands of their plazas, which emphasizes the intrigue of the most striking parts of each complex--enshrouded, yet occupiable, enclosed space as isolated sculptures on their ceee-ment ponds. Oh, ummmm, parks, not ponds. My mistake.

img68421024x768gf5.jpg

img68411024x768sj6.jpg

img68341024x768sc5.jpg

img68351024x768qn1.jpg

As I made my way around the vast expanse of concrete satellite structures, I was asked, irrationally, not to do certain things while I tried to take pictures, like blocking exit doors and stepping on the grass. Then the security force, of which there were too many to count, proceeded to follow me around, tag team-style, and not too subtly. I could hear the directives coming through their walkie talkies about how they were to deal with me in order to discourage me from the property. Must've thought I was hearing impared or something. :cool: Gotta use that tactic more often in order to get away with stuff.

JohnAKeith said:
Hi. I don't understand what this thread is about.

Like real life--non-linear, ill-conceived, and gloriously messy.

img69371024x768za5.jpg

Looked much better very, very tiny on my camera's screen. Trying to be a bit too artsy for my own good. Was a wee tipsy after catching the last BART train back from SFO to Oakland one chilly night. No matter. Jebus still wuvs me.

Holy shit there's a giant ant in the church! What the hell, it's waving at me (you)...

^ Ha!
Relevant and fitting end--construction crane and all.

Brit horror films always seem less cheesy compared to their American counterparts from the same era. Must be the accents (and acting abilities).

Holy shit there's a giant ant in the church! What the hell, it's waving at me (you)...

Nope. It's King Tut.
However, this observation may have more to do with my own, usually blurry vision, and that's not because I have bad eyesight.

img73251024x768.jpg

The Church of the Gargantuan Vag was looking quite icy-blue today.

^ Yup. Spent all the money on the main cathedral and did the rest like a bunker. However, the area below the main cathedral is suitably built out of concrete for its purpose--a crypt/mausoleum. The rest of it--inexcusable. The public areas have all the warmth and vitality of ... the catacombs. :p

The mausoleum level, below the main cathedral:

img64851024x768.jpg

Processional corridor

img64871024x768.jpg

Ooops. Shaky. Niches (foreground) and crypts (back wall)

img64881024x768.jpg

A little whimsical children's art project outside in the vestibule of the mausoleum.

It was difficult to get decent angles to take pictures inside the public spaces in that cement base, and because I was being watched and followed. I guess scruffy guys with bicycle helmets don't look submissive enough to be one of the believers.

As for what I did see, nothing looked worthy of pictures--concrete slabs, some covered with marble or marble-like treatments with quotations etched into them, interrupted by large, plate glass windows. Very dull. Even the sunken outdoor courtyard was less a contemplative place and more like a place for a penitent's one hour of daylight/air, like in a prison.

The other public spaces--lecture halls, classrooms, a coffee shop, and a gift shop--were all the same with cement exteriors, large plate glass windows, and minimalist furnishings and fixtures lacking in design noteworthiness. Again, everything interesting is in the cathedral.

Back