Hope Point Tower (Fane) | 250 Dyer Street | Providence

Architecture is in an amazing place right now. All over the world there are incredible buildings being built. 45 w 22nd street in NYC I just found out about the other day and its an amazing building. Theres no reason they couldnt build something like this but 177ft shorter.

image2.jpg

226897368.jpg

41-east-22nd-street.jpg

Theres endless possibilities in architecture right now. You can build anything from a new school art deco tower, to a glass box, to tower verre. They absolutely should not settle with Dubai leftovers.

As mentioned in the article, the height of the three towers are 440 feet, 560 feet and 340 feet.

It says the developer is ready to proceed immediately and the other towers could come later. This needs a redesign immediately before they proceed.

Why can't Boston get something like this....

Really? It looks like hot garbage. Reminds me of a New Age version of 1 Financial Center in Boston with its shitty ribbon windows except now it has pointless curves!

City Council voted to approve the height for the tower and sent to the Mayor who is expected to approve as long as the developer makes some slight changes and gives money to local projects.
https://turnto10.com/politics/provi...roves-zoning-change-for-hope-point-tower-site

From the story:

"The final design approval lies within the I-195 Redevelopment District Commission’s purview..."

Very interesting... and fraught with imminent peril? I totally appreciate the desire for community stakeholders to have created the I-195 RDC in the first place, given how much raw land suddenly emerged from the dismantling/realignment of I-195.

But apparently this entity has been empowered as a full-blown planning/design agency, on par with the BPDA--but only for a very small overall sliver of downtown Providence (let alone all of municipal Providence)? How does that mesh with whatever the regular BPDA-style entity is for the 99% of Providence that is not within the boundaries of the old I-195 corridor?

This seems like a VERY different arrangement than if the old I-195 corridor territory was awarded a special zoning district overlay... but all final design/planning decisions still funneled through the same authority that ruled on them for the rest of the city.

And the Hope Point Tower project seems dead again. The Mayor vetoed it and the Council president doesn't want another vote.

Thank God.

Maybe the developer will try his luck downtown where the tower should go.

Back