How long have you lived here?

According to Jane Jacobs in the Death and Life of Great American Cities, most "experts" at the time also found the North End to be a terrible slum and wanted it to see the same fate.

NIMBYs drive me crazy... but the absolute hubris and inhumanity of midcentury planners have given everyone a good reason to be wary of Smart People Who Know Better And Want To Change Things.
Definitely we're in a longlived reaction phase to that mid-century urban renewal-highway construction over reach. The 1955 NIMBY licks her tail and slinks away; her 2024 descendent prevails over every public good initiative--many of them at least.

According to Jane Jacobs in the Death and Life of Great American Cities, most "experts" at the time also found the North End to be a terrible slum and wanted it to see the same fate.

NIMBYs drive me crazy... but the absolute hubris and inhumanity of midcentury planners have given everyone a good reason to be wary of Smart People Who Know Better And Want To Change Things.
At the time the Charles River Park development was first going up (in the early 1960s) I remember articles in the Boston Globe, as well as talk I heard, that this development was designed and intended to lure suburbanites back into the city, providing a suburban type habitat attractive to them. Thus the "towers in the park" design, and the wiping out of anything that resembled an urban neighborhood..

Born here in '82. I miss the economic, retail, and human diversity. Like SF, Boston is turning into a playground for wealthy people regardless of where they're from. I don't count that as "diversity". Poor people, immigrant groups, and native (as in Bostonian) minority groups have been squeezed out, and the middle class is next.

Born here in '82. I miss the economic, retail, and human diversity. Like SF, Boston is turning into a playground for wealthy people regardless of where they're from. I don't count that as "diversity". Poor people, immigrant groups, and native (as in Bostonian) minority groups have been squeezed out, and the middle class is next.
"Middle class" can't afford the average home in the Boston area. Yes, agreed the high cost of living and doing business has chased away a lot of the things that made me love Boston.

Reactions: FK4
Moved here in 2007 when I was in my mid-20s. Grew up in Central Connecticut, but tended to gravitate toward the NYC area when I was younger because my mother's family is from Long Island and NJ. After spending a few years post-college in upstate (far upstate) NY and northern Connecticut as a newspaper reporter, I took a day trip to Boston one day for the heck of it and immediately fell in love with the place. From that point on, I was determined to move here, succeeded in early 2007 and haven't regretted it. Since moving here, I've been fortunate to build a great career, buy a house just outside the city and meet/marry my husband. All the while watching the city blossom even further in the years since I've come here. All in all, I consider myself very fortunate.

Back