How Tall Are Boston's Buildings and Should They Be Taller?

Johnnyrocket891

Reaction score
The overall objective would be to centralize the population into Boston.
Larger residential skyscrapers would help keep less groups of people traveling outside of Boston. Everything becomes centralized for those residents that live in Boston.
I
f we get an expansion and a more reliable service from the MBTA then the groups that service Boston can commute into the city with a up-gradable service.

Surrounding towns do not have the infrastructure to handle the future growth of the city.

Our leaders need to start thinking of building much higher in the city along with new innovative ideas for Transporation along with a up-gradable solution for the MBTA.

KentXie

Reaction score
I'm going to go with bakgwailo on this. This fantasy of building large residential skyscrapers only hurts Boston, not help. NONE of those large residential skyscrapers will be affordable to the large majority of people who live in Boston or in the surrounding towns or suburbs. In order to build large residential skyscrapers, you will have to justify the cost, i.e. charge each unit well above what most people can afford. Charging any less and the skyscraper becomes unfeasible to build.

stick n move

Reaction score
Eh depends, some more of these in jp wouldnt change that much.

Last edited:

stick n move

Reaction score
Now that Kenmore is building up a nice cluster, along with Fenway Boylston, BU has a cluster just past here, and Beacon yards is coming as well, and seeing that air rights parcels need to go high to turn a profit, how about Boston goes 650-675 here on the sides on Commonwealth ave?

Weirdly at parcel 15 you can go 1000’ but here only about 650 according to the FAA height map. Anyways I think it actually makes a lot more sense now with Beacon yards, Allston yards, Fenway ctr, Kenmore going taller...etc. to go tall here.

Last edited:

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
If air rights projects start to pan out and become more 'normal' going forward, maybe. That said, the whole intersection there needs a lot of redesign before anything is built bracketing the bridge.

#bancars

Reaction score
If air rights projects start to pan out and become more 'normal' going forward, maybe. That said, the whole intersection there needs a lot of redesign before anything is built bracketing the bridge.
Well the intersection was just rebuilt with the MassDOT replacement of that bridge, and BU just finished renovations of the Howard Thurman Center on the corner. Unfortunately it still mostly acts as a traffic sewer, and isn't great for people walking or cycling.