How Tall Are Boston's Buildings and Should They Be Taller?

Odd, that a few hours before i saw your post, i went to the Atlantic Wharf wiki page and updated it to 436'. i'm thinking we need to be careful; that some or many of these heights are accounting for the window washing booms.

So that was you! I'd been meaning to for a long time but was to lazy!

Atlantic Wharf's 436' was seen in a PDF of another Boston project. See page 30 of the following link.

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/02a2abcd-293f-482b-89d2-bc52306028ce

However, the point stands that window washing cranes may be involved in some of the FAA heights. The FAA for Atlantic Wharf read 449'. However, they are not used in all the heights and it is also important to note where the the building is measured from. Millennium Tower only shows as 677', but that's due to being measured from the Washington Street side and not the Hawley Street side.

Basically, the FAA heights are also an inexact science, but we KNOW that many of the heights are currently listed too low (highest occupied floor only) and some of them are substantially too low.

If anybody could figure out Exchange Place, that's the one I really want to know. It's supposedly 510' but I think that is missing the very top section(s).

Could the former Sullivan Courthouse (40 Thorndike) in Cambridge be taller than the Green Building at MIT? Look at page 22 in the first link (ground elevations) and page 10 in the second link (existing roof plan). From my observations the top of the existing structure is 331'4" above sea level. I also calculated the average existing grade to be 26.9' above sea level. After subtracting the the average grade from the top of the building, I got 304.44' or around 304'5 1/4" (greatest extent 311'5 3/8" and least 297' 4 3/4").

http://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/Files/CDD/ZoningDevel/SpecialPermits/sp288/sp288_plans1.pdf?la=en

http://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/Files/CDD/ZoningDevel/SpecialPermits/sp288/sp288_plans2.pdf?la=en

A lot of sites list the Green Building at 295' (except CTBUH - 277')

btw, has anyone ever suggested splitting the projects going higher than say, 250' into a separate forum?

maybe we can even call it the 'Highrise Development Projects' forum.

(let the caning begin).

It's true that London has more creative skyscrapers than elsewhere, but some of them are just plain ugly.

Agreed. La defense in Paris has a much better skyline imo. Moscow also has a pretty impressive skyline.

Agreed. La defense in Paris has a much better skyline imo. Moscow also has a pretty impressive skyline.

Moscow and La Defense are great especially at night.

I can never figure out if that weird arch-thing is habitable or just a structure. It's funny that you don't see a lot of other skyscrapers in weird shapes like the arch (except for the CCTV building in China).

The "weird arch" is a government office building with an exhibition space in the upper horizontal section according to the wikipedia page on the building.

The "weird arch" is a government office building with an exhibition space in the upper horizontal section according to the wikipedia page on the building.

Thanks for the info. Are there any windows on it???

Jersey city has turned into one of the final frontiers for "manhattan living" without manhattan prices. Theres a ton of development happening there and its close enough that its not a stretch to live out there and its still too messy to command the extreme rents of manhattan. This will change in time.

Jersey city has turned into one of the final frontiers for "manhattan living" without manhattan prices. Theres a ton of development happening there and its close enough that its not a stretch to live out there and its still too messy to command the extreme rents of manhattan. This will change in time.

I've noticed lots of skyscrapers going up in Jersey City (and some in Newark). Iv'e heard our president has had a lot of dealings there.

Not my president.

Back when I was living in Manhattan that seemed to be Long Island City. Last I checked the rent was now about on par with Manhattan. I think Brooklyn has actually eclipsed Manhattan ;)

Back